Moving the Annual Up

Old January 30th 05, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Moving the Annual Up

For several years now I've taken advantage of the rule that allows you to do
your annual on a 13-month (rather than 12 month) basis, by simply finishing
the annual on the 1st of the following month each time.

Now it seems this procedure has come back to haunt me, as my annual this
year is scheduled for JUNE -- smack in the midst of prime flying time.

Thus, since I'm faced with ripping out the interior and opening up the wings
to install the Skycraft landing lights (the kind that are cut into the
leading edge of the wing) anyway, I've decided to have my A&P do the annual
at the same time, while the weather sucks.

Anyone else done this? I feel like I'm ripping myself off, somehow, but I
don't want the plane to be down in the summer, either...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 05, 03:36 PM
A Lieberman

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:13:02 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone else done this? I feel like I'm ripping myself off, somehow, but I
don't want the plane to be down in the summer, either...

Hey Jay,

When I got my "unscheduled" major overhaul, I asked my A&P to do the
annual.

The annual was done 3 months early this way. I figured while things were
ripped apart, he could get to things under the cowl alot easier *smile*

Allen
Old January 30th 05, 03:55 PM

Now is the time to do the annual and the light mod for sure. All it
will take to recover the months lost is to go back on your 13 month
schedule. Four years and you will back to the June annual again.
Ben Haas N801BH

Old January 30th 05, 03:59 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
For several years now I've taken advantage of the rule that allows you to do
your annual on a 13-month (rather than 12 month) basis, by simply finishing
the annual on the 1st of the following month each time.

Now it seems this procedure has come back to haunt me, as my annual this
year is scheduled for JUNE -- smack in the midst of prime flying time.

There's no law that says you *have* to move them forward. Our club has
always moved ours forward until they're in February or March, and then
leave them there - that way the annuals happen when the weather sucks, and
it's fresh when the flying season starts.

leading edge of the wing) anyway, I've decided to have my A&P do the annual
at the same time, while the weather sucks.

Anyone else done this? I feel like I'm ripping myself off, somehow, but I
don't want the plane to be down in the summer, either...

Yeah, we'll do it when we're doing an engine replacement or after a goose
strike
(http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/Fl...ike_Part1.html)
(You'll notice that whenever AvWeb illustrates a story about bird strikes,
they use pictures that they got off that page. What you don't know is
that they never asked permission to use the pictures. Never have,
actually. The guy who took the pictures says he doesn't mind - if it was
me I'd tell that they owed me a free subscription to IFR and IFR
Refresher for that.)

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If nothing else, I can watch my cow-orkers dodge clues in a manner
Old January 30th 05, 04:48 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone else done this? I feel like I'm ripping myself off, somehow, but I
don't want the plane to be down in the summer, either...

I tried to do this. Keeping my plane on a tie-down, rather than in a hangar, I
prefer to do the annual in nice weather. Since I bought my Maule in July, I let
the annual roll forward for a few years until it was due in October. Then I
tried to keep it there.

The damn IA at the shop I used to use would take any excuse to postpone doing
the annual. I made arrangements to get the plane in the shop in early October,
and it was mid-November before he started on it.

Now I have a great IA and the annual has rolled around to April. Maybe things
can stay that way.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old January 30th 05, 05:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Why would you want the annual done in nice weather?

Keeping your plane parked outside, I would think it would be especially
important to have it done in the *bad* weather.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 05, 05:47 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Why would you want the annual done in nice weather?

Because *I'm* the one out there at the tiedown pulling panels, seats, etc., and
it's hard to hold wrenches in temperatures like we're seeing now. I'm absolutely
not going to be doing it in 18" of snow! It's not a whole lot of fun in the
rain, either (but I've done it).

Old January 30th 05, 07:49 PM
RST Engineering

There is no rule that says that the annual has to be done in one fell swoop.
That is, a lot of annuals take a couple of months to do, especially if you
are having to order oddball parts, replace large chunks of airplane, and the
like.

It all depends on how happy your IA is with doing what might be called a
"progressive annual". That is, the annual is DONE when the last screw has
been replaced in the cowl. It is the IA's perogative to inspect one part
today, another part tomorrow, and the last part in July.

Sort of understand where I'm going?

Jim

Old January 30th 05, 09:02 PM
Fly

Good point.
I annual a twin plane that never is unavailable longer than a week unless
there is no other option. items are accomplished 2-3 dyas at a time over a
month.

Kent Felkins

Old January 30th 05, 10:38 PM
Mark S Conway

My Piper Apache was annualed in March '04 ....
In October '04 it was due for a bunch of 100hr AD's
By the time we tore into her, I said, let's keep going and finish this pig
off....
We did it in 4 days anyways....
Ripping yourself off? We did that when we got into aviation!!!!!

Mark, N3165P