Moving the Annual Up

Old January 31st 05, 04:00 AM
Jay Honeck

Why would you want the annual done in nice weather?

Because *I'm* the one out there at the tiedown pulling panels, seats,
etc., and
it's hard to hold wrenches in temperatures like we're seeing now. I'm
absolutely
not going to be doing it in 18" of snow! It's not a whole lot of fun in
the
rain, either (but I've done it).

You're an A&P, George? Or are you saying your A&P doesn't let you do the
prep work in his shop?

I just got home from spending 9 hours in my mechanic's heated hangar,
tearing the plane apart, and changing the oil/filter. In theory, tomorrow
he only needs to peek inside everything with his flashlight, check the
compressions, and sign me off for another year. (HA! It NEVER works out
that way...)

Well, and then cut my wings up with his Dremel tool for the landing light
installation. Man, I just cringe at the thought!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 05, 11:20 AM

I've my annual always in october, that's at the end of my personal
flying season.
I like to have my plane ready to fly in the spring.
So I do replacements and so on during the winter even if they are
scheduled later in the year.
In this way I have about 5 months to go part hunting.

-Kees

Old January 31st 05, 11:55 AM
Bob Noel

In article C3iLd.38708$IV5.29151@attbi_s54,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Why would you want the annual done in nice weather?

Because *I'm* the one out there at the tiedown pulling panels, seats,
etc., and
it's hard to hold wrenches in temperatures like we're seeing now. I'm
absolutely
not going to be doing it in 18" of snow! It's not a whole lot of fun in
the
rain, either (but I've done it).

You're an A&P, George? Or are you saying your A&P doesn't let you do the
prep work in his shop?

Not all IA's have a shop. The first five annuals on my plane were done right
on my tie-down (I changed the annual from January to September in order
to take advantage of good fall weather - not too hot, not too cold).

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old January 31st 05, 12:34 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone else done this? I feel like I'm ripping myself off, somehow, but I
don't want the plane to be down in the summer, either...

My annual was due in May of this year. However, when the Bonanza went down
last October with a cracked cylinder, a failure that led to the engine
replacement (high time engine), I asked the mechanics to do the annual,
too. They were able to complete the majority of the annual before the
overhauled engine arrived.

Last Friday the aircraft finally rolled out of the shop, ready for a full
year of flying and oil changes.

--
Peter

Old January 31st 05, 01:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Not all IA's have a shop. The first five annuals on my plane were done
right
on my tie-down

Wow, that really amazes me.

Even on a relatively simple Spam Can, annualing an aircraft involves
removing (and saving) a zillion little screws and connecters. Even indoors
I inevitably kick over a container full of screws, or lose a couple -- I
just can't imagine fighting the wind and the elements at the same time.

Where did you put all the stuff you removed? In my case, I've got
clamshell halves of my wheelpants that would make a great kite in the wind,
interior panels, seats, etc. A good gust, and I'd be chasing them across
the airport.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 05, 04:13 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:00:34 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Well, and then cut my wings up with his Dremel tool for the landing light
installation. Man, I just cringe at the thought!

Then why are you doing it?

Old January 31st 05, 04:18 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:05:11 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Not all IA's have a shop. The first five annuals on my plane were done
right
on my tie-down

I've done the same thing for the 5 years I've owned my bird.

Where did you put all the stuff you removed?

In my car.

Oh yeah, there's also no electricity! This requires the need to have
various battery powered tools, or, if you don't have the tool, the
ability to take care of things manually like they did a long time ago.

While it can be frustrating, the skills you build are worth it. You
also learn to think through a job completely before starting it.

Old January 31st 05, 04:34 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

You're an A&P, George?

No.

Or are you saying your A&P doesn't let you do the
prep work in his shop?

That's right.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old January 31st 05, 04:42 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Where did you put all the stuff you removed?

I use zip-lock bags. I take a small notepad, scribble an identification label on
half a page, and stuff it in the bag. A typical label might be "left upper
strut" for the screws that hold those fairings in. I use a cardboard box to hold
all the bags and other small pieces. I have a Nissan truck with extended cab
(similar to your grape). Most of the stuff goes in the cab behind the seat. The
right front seat and rear floor board goes in the bed. In inclement weather,
they get stuffed in garbage sacks for the trip home (I don't have a cap).

In my case, I've got
clamshell halves of my wheelpants that would make a great kite in the wind,
interior panels, seats, etc. A good gust, and I'd be chasing them across
the airport.

Stuff like that goes into the truck as soon as it's removed.

Old January 31st 05, 04:46 PM

Moved mine from May to January for exactly that reason. The only part
that's costing you extra money is interest on the flat rate - the
repairs need to be done anyway.