Mapping software problem. How to build .twf (geo-location) into ascan of the right map?

Old April 19th 11, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Mapping software problem. How to build .twf (geo-location) into ascan of the right map?

I have a perfect high res scan of Michigan Aeronautical Chart (ideal for the 2011 R6N Contest Ionia Flying Area) and need to figure out how to create a suitable(.twf) file for use with GlidePlan Contest Map creation software

The "geolocated" sectional file (http://www.glideplan.com/download/se..._download.html) offered by GlidePlan stinks. It is basically a very poorly mated combination of 2 scanned sectionals (Detroit & Chicago) for Ionia, MI Michigan area. Can anyone help, do this or point me in the right direction?

So far I see ArcGIS Desktop (downloading a trial to see if it can do this) and AutoCAD.

GlidPlan support cannot create geo-located files from the scanned image the FAA provided me. I am attempting to do it myself.

Sean
Old April 19th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim archer

I'm not sure I understand the task entirely, but you might try
MapWindow, it's opensource and free. Pretty powerful really, for the
novice GIS'er. Some useful plugins are either free or cost a minimal
fee, including many different georeferencing tools. JeoPeg Manager is
free, that may work for you depending on the file format of the
Michigan chart.

http://www.mapwindow.org/

Old April 22nd 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim archer

On Apr 18, 5:28*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
I have a perfect high res scan of Michigan Aeronautical Chart (ideal for the 2011 R6N Contest Ionia Flying Area) and need to figure out how to create a suitable(.twf) file for use with GlidePlan Contest Map creation software

The "geolocated" sectional file (http://www.glideplan.com/download/se..._download.html) offered by GlidePlan stinks. *It is basically a very poorly mated combination of 2 scanned sectionals (Detroit & Chicago) for Ionia, MI Michigan area. *Can anyone help, do this or point me in the right direction?

So far I see ArcGIS Desktop (downloading a trial to see if it can do this) and AutoCAD. *

GlidPlan support cannot create geo-located files from the scanned image the FAA provided me. *I am attempting to do it myself.

Sean

This might actually be better, it has a georeferencing button right in
the main program. I haven't used it but a friend current in GIS
turned me on to it.

http://www.qgis.org/
Old April 22nd 11, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Apr 18, 5:28*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
I have a perfect high res scan of Michigan Aeronautical Chart (ideal for the 2011 R6N Contest Ionia Flying Area) and need to figure out how to create a suitable(.twf) file for use with GlidePlan Contest Map creation software

The "geolocated" sectional file (http://www.glideplan.com/download/se..._download.html) offered by GlidePlan stinks. *It is basically a very poorly mated combination of 2 scanned sectionals (Detroit & Chicago) for Ionia, MI Michigan area. *Can anyone help, do this or point me in the right direction?

So far I see ArcGIS Desktop (downloading a trial to see if it can do this) and AutoCAD. *

GlidPlan support cannot create geo-located files from the scanned image the FAA provided me. *I am attempting to do it myself.

Sean

The GlidePlan contest maps look better than any sectionals I've ever
glued together, which is what most of use have done for years. The geo-
sensitive details all seem to line up perfectly. Some of the markings
don't line up I think because they were printed in different places on
the different sectionals. From experience I know that the GlidePlan
maps are quite good a placing official turnpoints at the correct
location on the sectional. They are quite handy.

9B

9B
Old April 24th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Hi Sean,

If you are prepared to spend money, GlobalMapper (http://
www.glbalmapper.com) is the way to go. But it is fairly serious
money. On the free side, FWTools (http://fwtools.maptools.org) does
everything you need and more, but the learning curve is steep. It is
a command-line driven thing.

You should be aware also that it isn't just a simple conversion. The
sectionals and state aero charts are published in Lambert Conformal-
Conic projections. You'll need to learn about about map projection,
color maps, and so forth. Unless you already understand this stuff,
it will take many hours of study and experimentation to get a result.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old April 24th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Apr 24, 11:25*am, 2KA wrote:
Hi Sean,

If you are prepared to spend money, GlobalMapper (http://www.glbalmapper.com) *is the way to go. *But it is fairly serious
money. *On the free side, FWTools (http://fwtools.maptools.org) does
everything you need and more, but the learning curve is steep. *It is
a command-line driven thing.

You should be aware also that it isn't just a simple conversion. *The
sectionals and state aero charts are published in Lambert Conformal-
Conic projections. *You'll need to learn about about map projection,
color maps, and so forth. *Unless you already understand this stuff,
it will take many hours of study and experimentation to get a result.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Actually I've had good results with the freeware version of
globalmapper
http://globalmapper.com
The restrictions are that you can't load more than 4 tif files, you
can't save your results, or print to scale. However, I've had really
good luck using it to stitch together the free sectionals now
available
from the FAA, mark turnpoints, and print out the results to use as
a paper map in the cockpit. I even cooked up a little script in Rexx
to convert a turnpoint file into the raw ascii format that GM wants.

-- Matt

Thermal Mapping Chris Davison Soaring 3 November 6th 05 04:30 PM
GPS Logging and Mapping John Clonts Piloting 5 May 28th 04 10:22 PM
Thermal mapping John Soaring 35 April 27th 04 04:29 PM
RV Quick Build build times... [email protected] Home Built 2 December 17th 03 03:29 AM
Somebody's working on making Presidental TFR's better! (was Identify the sniper's mapping software?) Peter Weaver Piloting 0 October 9th 03 05:07 PM