SPOT GPS

Old January 28th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Default SPOT GPS

Anyone using the spot satellite messenger while flying or else?
Pro? cons?
Thanks
www.findmespot.com

Richard Depinay
Phoenix, AZ
Old January 28th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Richard,

There have been numerous posts about that SPOT product and service on this
newsgroup recently. I recommend you do a search of past posts. A good way
to do that is at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...soaring/topics

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Old January 28th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Check this out: http://www.darrylramm.com/
Old January 31st 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 28, 10:13*am, " wrote:
Check this out:http://www.darrylramm.com/

Or this:
http://solution.allthingsd.com/20080...thout-a-phone/
Old February 1st 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

On Jan 31, 8:38 am, " wrote:
On Jan 28, 10:13 am, " wrote:

Check this out:http://www.darrylramm.com/

Or this:http://solution.allthingsd.com/20080...thout-a-phone/

Maybe we should set up a public access email address for all glider
pilots to send Spot messages to.
Something like a Gmail ".
Every pilot could include this address to get the tracking info [in
addition to their friends & family].
Then if a pilot goes missing we could all log into the email account
[shared password] and look for messages from the missing pilot's Spot.

We would all know at least 1 place to go get the info.

Or maybe we could at least set something like this up for contests, or
clubs. But 1 central resource would help a lot.

Chris
Old February 1st 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

What and have any random joe delete emails or find out where peoeple
are?

People who are clever enough to buy a SPOT should be able to work out
how to send emails messages to one or more friends (or their local FBO/
glider port operator can provide an email address) nothing that
actually needs any central coordination. And see Tom Serkowski's (5Z)
earlier SPOT email filter comments.

And importantly again, automatic tracking messages don't get sent to
via email or SMS messages. Those are the most interesting to me and
many other users. For those you need to provide whoever is going to be
tracking you login access to your SPOT account. Having to provide this
login into your main account is an oversight with the SPOT service and
something they need to change.

Darryl

Old February 1st 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jan 31, 10:15*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
And importantly again, automatic tracking messages don't get sent to
via email or SMS messages. Those are the most interesting to me and
many other users. For those you need to provide whoever is going to be
tracking you login access to your SPOT account. Having to provide this
login into your main account is an oversight with the SPOT service and
something they need to change.

All owners need to send requests for this change to be implemented.
IMHO, this is very important to make the live track really useful, and
that means providing a "read only" login.

I've also asked for a method to fetch live tracks with automated
software so I or someone could create a website that would fetch
multiple tracks and display them on a single map. This would be
invaluable for clubs and FBOs to be able to track their pilots.

-Tom
Old February 1st 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

On Feb 1, 10:26*am, 5Z wrote:
[...]

and evenually this could be how contests are scored too. [would need
shorter interval but the idea/system is all there now]
Chris
Old February 1st 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"chris" wrote in message
On Feb 1, 10:26 am, 5Z wrote:
[...]

Yep. Track all contestants at 1sec intervals and post scores on the
internet within seconds of the last finisher (or landout).

Bill D

Old February 2nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

To all,

Following the suggestion by 5Z to contact a SPOT TRACKER
representative, I received positive response to two suggestions aired
on this forum. The company is currently testing their computer
programs with these changes. The tests might last up to two months.

1) Allow access to your live tracking without the need to share your
special and private password, and

2) Provide the ability to view multiple live tracks at the same time.

This is the latest update. I don't know any of the details.

Raul Boerner
LS6-b DM

Soaring with SPOT 5Z Soaring 14 January 10th 08 12:56 AM
SPOT Satellite Messenger [email protected] Soaring 9 January 3rd 08 06:30 PM
SPOT Satellite Messenger Marc Ramsey[_2_] Soaring 7 October 3rd 07 10:30 PM
spot the topless passenger Dan Luke Piloting 19 March 21st 07 06:32 PM
How To Spot a Radium Gauge (?) Ben Abzug Restoration 1 May 6th 06 05:48 AM