"Requesting lower"

Old January 19th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default "Requesting lower"

Thomas Borchert writes:

Maybe. But I've heard too much stuff like that on the frequencies between the
"uh,ah,uh, ah" stutterings of beginners and the unreadable jargon of the
"pros". Actually, the pros are often worse. Don't forget, I look at this from
a non-native speaker perspective. When I fly in the US and someone uses ole'
boy slang, it's real easy to have misunderstandings. That's why there are
preset phrases even for cool airline captains. They better use them.

Fortunately, you only need to talk to ATC; it isn't necessary to be
able to understand other pilots.

Old January 19th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Mxsmanic wrote:
Thomas Borchert writes:

Maybe. But I've heard too much stuff like that on the frequencies between the
"uh,ah,uh, ah" stutterings of beginners and the unreadable jargon of the
"pros". Actually, the pros are often worse. Don't forget, I look at this from
a non-native speaker perspective. When I fly in the US and someone uses ole'
boy slang, it's real easy to have misunderstandings. That's why there are
preset phrases even for cool airline captains. They better use them.

Fortunately, you only need to talk to ATC; it isn't necessary to be
able to understand other pilots.

Actually that's not true either. You need to be able to understand
other pilots in order to have a sense of what's going on around you.
That is one of the major sticking points with the idea of going to a
digital radio system that only displays messages intended for a single
plane, you lose the "party line" information.
Old January 19th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Theune writes:

Actually that's not true either. You need to be able to understand
other pilots in order to have a sense of what's going on around you.

It helps, but it is not mandatory. In theory, all you need is ATC.
And even if ATC is the only voice you understand, you should still be
safe.

That is one of the major sticking points with the idea of going to a
digital radio system that only displays messages intended for a single
plane, you lose the "party line" information.

Maybe, but if you need to depend on what other pilot's are saying,
then ATC is not doing its job.

Nevertheless, I don't see why a digital radio system would have to
exclude transmissions for other aircraft. I think the safest option
is just to replace analog with digital transmission, without making
_any_ other changes. Once that has become universal, other things can
be tried. But I know that some parties will want to pile on the
gadgets no matter how negative the effect on safety.

Old January 19th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Fortunately, you only need to talk to ATC; it isn't necessary to be
able to understand other pilots.

There is no ATC at un-controlled fields.

Old January 19th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

There is no ATC at un-controlled fields.

There are no props on jet aircraft.

Old January 19th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Steve Foley writes:

There is no ATC at un-controlled fields.

There are no props on jet aircraft.

I don't get the connection.

You stated you ONLY needed the radio to talk to ATC, and I pointed out why I
disagreed with that statement.. What does that have to do with props?

Old January 19th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

The connection, Steve, is that MX didn't take his meds today.

On Jan 19, 7:59 am, "Steve Foley" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in messagenews:tif1r2tck2hq354je8u1ag393hpsrui8rh@4ax .com...

Steve Foley writes:

There is no ATC at un-controlled fields.

There are no props on jet aircraft.I don't get the connection.

Old January 19th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

I don't get the connection.

Exactly. I responded to a non sequitur with another non sequitur.

You stated you ONLY needed the radio to talk to ATC, and I pointed out why I
disagreed with that statement.. What does that have to do with props?

What does CTAF have to do with "requesting lower"?

Old January 19th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Mxsmanic wrote:
Steve Foley writes:

I don't get the connection.

Exactly. I responded to a non sequitur with another non sequitur.

You stated you ONLY needed the radio to talk to ATC, and I pointed out why I
disagreed with that statement.. What does that have to do with props?

What does CTAF have to do with "requesting lower"?

It has everything to do with understanding other pilots which is what I
responded to. You need to keep up with the flow of the coversation.
Old January 19th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Steve Foley writes:

I don't get the connection.

Exactly. I responded to a non sequitur with another non sequitur.

You stated you ONLY needed the radio to talk to ATC, and I pointed out why
disagreed with that statement.. What does that have to do with props?

What does CTAF have to do with "requesting lower"?

OMG. Our little troll has grown up and turned into Steve McNicoll.