Automatic Parachutes & Retrofitting

Old May 7th 04, 06:22 PM
John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL

Default Automatic Parachutes & Retrofitting

Please see my other thread on "Automatic Parachutes" in which I argue
that an automatic (static line) parachute is a good thing (except
maybe in the Andes!).

So here I sit owning a non-automatic parachute (a Strong 305). Can it
be converted to an automatic parachute? Can I simply add a (7m)
landyard from the glider's static line attachment point to the D ring?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Again, John DeRosa
http://skysoaring.com

Glider Humor = http://skysoaring.com/modules/gallery/gliderhumor
Old May 8th 04, 02:23 AM
S Schwartz

(John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL) wrote in message . com...
Please see my other thread on "Automatic Parachutes" in which I argue
that an automatic (static line) parachute is a good thing (except
maybe in the Andes!).

So here I sit owning a non-automatic parachute (a Strong 305). Can it
be converted to an automatic parachute? Can I simply add a (7m)
landyard from the glider's static line attachment point to the D ring?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Again, John DeRosa
http://skysoaring.com

Glider Humor = http://skysoaring.com/modules/gallery/gliderhumor

John,

Any mods to a parachute must be done by a licensed rigger & with the
manufacturers approved mod. I would a call into Bob Gilmore at Strong
in Flarida. He will tell you if it needs to be done by Strong or if
Strong can make the parts available to a licensed rigger in your area.
Old May 8th 04, 05:33 AM
Jim Vincent

Can it
be converted to an automatic parachute?

Yes it can, but only by a certified rigger. Look up the US Parachute
Association site at www.uspa.org to find one,

Can I simply add a (7m)
landyard from the glider's static line attachment point to the D ring.

No you can't. The D ring of most, if not all US parachutes is not designed to
handle the sudden shock or strange pull direction of a static line deployment.
A static line is hooked directly to the container closure, eliminating the rip
cord. Perhaps they can coexist, but ask your rigger.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam