40 years ago

Old May 2nd 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
H. Adam Stevens

Default 40 years ago

"It was still a kick in the pants anyway you slice it though, wasn't it?????
"

I'll never forget the feeling.
Thinking, "Nobody gonna save your ass now but you, baby."

It's the one experience all pilots share.
And we share it with no one else.

Cheers
H.

"ManhattanMan" wrote in message
Erik wrote:

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

How far were your lessons spaced out? I had just finished four years in
the Navy flying back seat as radar operator in S2F sub chasers, so
navigation, general familiarization with aircraft was old stuff, and I was
taking courses through the Junior College on pilot training, so things
were going along at a pretty good clip....
It was still a kick in the pants anyway you slice it though, wasn't
it????? d:-))

Old May 2nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message
"It was still a kick in the pants anyway you slice it though, wasn't
it????? "

I'll never forget the feeling.
Thinking, "Nobody gonna save your ass now but you, baby."

It's the one experience all pilots share.
And we share it with no one else.

When I started reducing power on my first solo down wind, I remember how
odd it felt to have the right seat empty. I think I said the same thing.

Old May 2nd 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Erik wrote:
ManhattanMan wrote:

Ross wrote:

ManhattanMan wrote:

H. Adam Stevens wrote:

Greetings

On May 1, 1967 I flew my last pre-solo dual.
he 150's main gear! d:-))

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

I soloed at ~ 7.8 hours at Hillside. My wife let me know that she soloed
~ 7.5 hours or something like that. It was sooner than mine. Times are
different now I guess. Seem everyone is soloing later.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 2nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Erik wrote:
Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

Thanks for the replies. At the start, I was doing twice a week
and we did do a lot more than turns and flares. I learned stalls,
steep turns, slow flight, navigation, unusual attitudes, and more
before soloing so maybe that's why.

Old May 2nd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On May 3, 4:35 am, Erik wrote:
Erik wrote:
Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

Thanks for the replies. At the start, I was doing twice a week
and we did do a lot more than turns and flares. I learned stalls,
steep turns, slow flight, navigation, unusual attitudes, and more
before soloing so maybe that's why.

Provided the relevant flight exercises are gone through there is no
reason why a current student can't solo in the same time that we could
in the 60s.
Which was to safely fly a circuit...
Night flying, recovery from unusual attitudes and cross countries came
after solo..
I went off in 4.50 and it was costing $10NZ wet.
Nowadays every-one is so careful that they have to make sure all the
I's are crossed and the T's are dotted which is a pity..

Old May 3rd 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

george wrote:

I's are crossed and the T's are dotted which is a pity..

Don't you mean a ptiy?

90 years old Flyingmonk Owning 1 May 15th 06 09:34 PM
6 years ago Icebound Piloting 0 June 14th 05 03:29 AM
14 years gone Phantom Blot Military Aviation 1 February 22nd 04 02:29 AM
New Years Eve Chuck Piloting 25 January 2nd 04 04:39 PM
100 years Gunnar Military Aviation 6 December 18th 03 09:58 AM