About indentifiers....

Old December 22nd 04, 10:32 PM
XMnushaL8y

"Peter MacPherson" flying6 wrote:

Most of these questions are aimed at people who
regularly use the airport. If you don't know the
identifier off by heart, then chances are you don't
fly there often enough to answer the questions about
it.

True, but just cuz you don't know the answer to the question doesn't mean you
wouldn't be interested in the discussion ... maybe you'd like to know what
airport people are talking about because you might fly there one day, or maybe
you know someone who's going there. Most of us know where to look up
identifiers, but as the other person said, it only takes two seconds to type
out the name so everyone knows right off.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:16 AM
Peter MacPherson

Ok, you've convinced me. In the spirit of being a good netizen,
I'll spell it out in the future.

Pete

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
Paul summed it up pretty well for me here....

I presume you're talking about posts with subject lines like "Good FBO
for
BAF" or "Why does ILS23 at QQQ have a bend in the middle?"

Most of these questions are aimed at people who regularly use the
airport.
If you don't know the identifier off by heart, then chances are you don't
fly there often enough to answer the questions about it.

However, if you're unfamiliar with the airport, you may still find the
ANSWER useful. But you'll never know, because the elite "I know the ID
and it shouldn't matter to you" folks refuse to spell things out.

Just because you don't know the answer to the question, that doesn't mean
the question isn't interesting to you. If we expected only those who knew
the answer to a question to involve themselves with the post at all, then
we could save a LOT of bandwidth by simply having those who know the
answer email it directly back to the original poster. Why post back to
the newsgroup at all?

Bottom line: there ARE people reading these threads who do NOT know the
answer, nor are they necessarily familiar with the airport(s) in question,
and yet who DO have an interest in what's being discussed. It's an
incredibly minor imposition on the person using the abbreviation (be it an
airport ID or whatever) to define the abbreviation, especially for those
that are not part of the basic jargon on the newsgroup (I'll concede on
things like FBO, ATC, IFR, etc.), and it's incredibly wasteful to make
thousands, or possibly even tens of thousands of people look up the
identifier individually.

This is basic Usenet etiquette. It's a common enough request, and for
most people who have any basic sense of having a *usable* Usenet
community, it's regarded as "the right thing to do".

Just spell it out. It's not that hard, and it permits *everyone* to be
involved, not just those who know the secret handshake.

Pete

Old December 23rd 04, 12:19 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
However, if you're unfamiliar with the airport, you may still find the
ANSWER useful. But you'll never know, because the elite "I know the ID and

Oh, good point. Ok, I'll try and play nice in the future.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering ******; to the
Old December 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:16:04 GMT, "Peter MacPherson"
wrote:

Ok, you've convinced me. In the spirit of being a good netizen,
I'll spell it out in the future.

Pete

Alright! Thanks.

Old December 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:19:24 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Oh, good point. Ok, I'll try and play nice in the future.

Thanks for seeing the other side of the discussion.

Old December 23rd 04, 01:28 AM
Andrew Sarangan

You are assuming that the reason why ILS23 at QQQ has a bend in the middle
can only be answered by someone from the local area. Someone who knows
enough about approaches and TERPS may be able to answer it even if they
have never been there. Why not open up the question to everyone instead of
focuing on one group?

However, some airport codes such as JFK and LAX may be ok to use without
explanation because even nonpilots know what they stand for.

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

In a previous article, "Casey Wilson" said:
Please, folks. Some, I'd wager most, of us just don't have
encyclopedic memory. When you use an airport identifier, please
include the name of the airport, or the nearest town.

Old December 23rd 04, 02:33 AM
Morgans

"Peter Duniho" wrote

Snipped

Bottom line: there ARE people reading these threads who do NOT know the
answer, nor are they necessarily familiar with the airport(s) in question,
and yet who DO have an interest in what's being discussed.

Snipped

This is basic Usenet etiquette. It's a common enough request, and for

most
people who have any basic sense of having a *usable* Usenet community,

it's
regarded as "the right thing to do".

Just spell it out. It's not that hard, and it permits *everyone* to be
involved, not just those who know the secret handshake.

Pete

Someone stop the presses! I found a subject Pete and I agree on! VBG
--
Jim in NC

Old December 23rd 04, 08:52 PM

You bring up a very good point. I'd like to take this to a slightly
different direction.

Aircraft Identification:

The problem I have is, there are aircraft that are mentioned in ADs. I
might be very interested in them (we are looking for a reasonable 6
place). But I don't know anything about them. How is one to know if a
plane is a single engine with 6 seats or a twin with 2 seats? Now if
they put a picture with their ad...

Meanwhile, how does ATC know what a Caravan is versus a Sky Bus versus
a Tiger? It sure makes a difference to them when doing spacing for
approaches in IMC. It also helps departure control when you have some
idea of climb speed and rate of climb. So this means that this
information is available somewhere.

Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old December 23rd 04, 09:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...

Meanwhile, how does ATC know what a Caravan is versus a Sky Bus versus
a Tiger? It sure makes a difference to them when doing spacing for
approaches in IMC. It also helps departure control when you have some
idea of climb speed and rate of climb. So this means that this
information is available somewhere.

The type is indicated on the flight plan, it's up to the controller to be
familiar with the general performance of the type.

Old December 23rd 04, 11:35 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
The problem I have is, there are aircraft that are mentioned in ADs.

In airworthiness directives? Or advertisements?

I might be very interested in them (we are looking for a reasonable 6
place). But I don't know anything about them. How is one to know if a
plane is a single engine with 6 seats or a twin with 2 seats? Now if
they put a picture with their ad...

I'm not sure how this relates to this thread at all. Are you asking about
advertisements on Usenet?

Meanwhile, how does ATC know what a Caravan is versus a Sky Bus versus
a Tiger? It sure makes a difference to them when doing spacing for
approaches in IMC. It also helps departure control when you have some
idea of climb speed and rate of climb. So this means that this
information is available somewhere.

No, it doesn't. ATC contacts a variety of aircraft, and so a controller is
generally familiar with most of the common ones. But uncommon ones they
won't necessarily know what kind of performance to expect. They can get an
idea simply by observing the aircraft, and of course basic performance
minimums can be expected when more detailed information is lacking. Or they
can simply ask the pilot what performance the airplane is capable of.

I'm still a little bewildered as to how this relates to the thread about
posting to Usenet.

Pete