Jessie cashes in

Old September 3rd 03, 03:24 AM
Gene Storey

"Mike Marron" wrote

I wonder what the name of her book will be...

"How not to use GPS in an RPG environment"

Old September 3rd 03, 03:29 AM
Bill Silvey

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
nk.net
"IBM" wrote in message

"Tex Houston" wrote in
:

[snip]

Was she in military aviation service?

Nope.....
Clerk in an Army transport battalion maintenance
detachment.

She rode out of the hospital in Iraq on a helicopter. That's closer
to on topic than a lot of the discussion here.

A hell of a lot closer than Venik's "Amerika not go moon" and "US sink
russia sub" posts, that's for damned sure.

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old September 3rd 03, 04:29 AM
Dudley Henriques

"QDurham" wrote in message
Lord knows, after the pack of lies that
was released about her, she can't really be put down for sticking her

hand
into the cookie jar and taking her shot.

What would you say if (in the unlikely event) that she tells the true

story
exactly as it happened and not as the government fantasizes? That'd

surely
make her a hero in my eyes. Wait and see.

Quent

That's an excellent point, and something I sincerely hope she opts to do. It
will be interesting to watch how this all plays out in the final analysis.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI
Retired

Old September 3rd 03, 04:40 AM
QDurham

That's an excellent point, and something I sincerely hope she opts to do. It
will be interesting to watch how this all plays out in the final analysis.

Amen! Sic 'em, Jessie.

Quent
Old September 3rd 03, 11:12 AM
Cub Driver

While I don't begrudge her the money, the choice of a questionable
ghost writer, released from the NYT for by-lining a story written by a
free-lancer means the whole project will be discredited.

Same guy?! Funny, the Knopf press release didn't mention that, and I
didn't remember the name on my own.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 3rd 03, 11:18 AM
Cub Driver

Now much did you get for "When Thunder Rolled"? Had to be what 2-3 million

Smithsonian Institution Press regards itself as a university press.
You do it for the honor of the thing.

Say Jessie's book sells for $24.95, and so does Ed's, and say that
they both get 10 percent royalties on the first 5,000 copies. (Jessie
may in fact do better than that.) Sounds like even money, huh? If only
it were so!

Knopf does the math this way: 10 percent of $24.95 is $2.495 per book.

SIP as a higher-math university press figures: okay, we had to give up
50 percent to the distributor, so we got $12.475 per book times 10
percent to the author is $1.2475 per book, or half as much.

I majored in guvmint, so it took me years to figure that out.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 3rd 03, 11:23 AM
Cub Driver

I wonder what the name of her book will be...

"How not to use GPS in an RPG environment"

According to the Reuters story, it was the company commander (!) who
used the GPS incorrectly.

I am, by the way, reading a superlative book about the Iraq war: "The
March Up" by Bing West and Ray Smith. Both are former marine officers;
Smith retired as a maj gen. It is one of the best pieces of reporting
I have ever read. And one of the things that amazes is the
near-constant use of GPS.

(The marines prefer civilian $200 GPS units to military issue, BTW.)

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 3rd 03, 11:28 AM
Cub Driver

For the three percent who really care about what happened, Jessie's
account will be interesting on that score. Unfortunately, part of what
Jessie will reveal is that she evidently can't remember everything
that happened.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 3rd 03, 11:33 AM
Cub Driver

The NYT writer is an honorable man. His point that the NYT "never" allowed
any writer to list their sources. Saying that the use of others while necessary,
was a dirty truth best left out. This fact was glossed over in the hype.

You may well be right. I suspected at the time that the Byline
Terrorist got the axe largely to blunt the awfulness of the NYT's
error in the case of the Reporter Who Neglected to the Place He Was
Supposedly Writing From. They turned a case of editorial misjudgment
and reverse discrimination into a case of boys will be boys.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com