Pirep needed: Boston Airports

Old May 20th 04, 02:02 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Pirep needed: Boston Airports

I need to make a trip to Boston soon (from NJ), and will need to get to the
New England Medical Center for a meeting. I would appreciate tips on best
airports, FBO's, transportation, etc. Thanks.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old May 20th 04, 02:27 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
I need to make a trip to Boston soon (from NJ), and will need to get to

the
New England Medical Center for a meeting. I would appreciate tips on best
airports, FBO's, transportation, etc. Thanks.

The Boston-area airport I'm most familiar with is BED (Hanscom Field), which
is very GA-friendly. There's public transportation (bus, then subway) into
the city (http://www.mbta.com/index.asp), as well as taxis and rental cars.
There's a Signature FBO, but I'm not familiar with their services since I
rent planes at Hanscom.

--Gary

Old May 20th 04, 03:24 PM
Peter Gottlieb

I had heard all sorts of horror stories about BED but when I went there to
the Signature FBO everything was great. I usually find it best in the long
run to get a rental car as the cost is reasonable as compared to taxis and
the convenience can't be beat. Call ahead to Signature and they will have
it for you. As is my standard practice, I had the plane's tanks topped off.
There was no ramp fee, I only paid for the fuel and I was there most of the
day.

newsn2rc.120550$Ik.10197785@attbi_s53...

Old May 20th 04, 03:54 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Thanks. I just got a call from the guy I have to meet with. Turns out he's
a pilot and wants to meet me at Mansfield Airport. Guess that solves that
problem. Now if the weather will only cooperate.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

. net...

Old May 20th 04, 04:41 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Yes, the weather has been somewhat unstable lately. I had a heck of a time
getting back from Dayton last weekend.

Old May 20th 04, 08:43 PM
tony

Thanks. I just got a call from the guy I have to meet with. Turns out

he's
a pilot and wants to meet me at Mansfield Airport.

fwiw, Mansfield has only a VOR approach as best I remember. Should you want
something a little more convienent, think of Norwood -- you'll drive by it on
the way from Mansfield to the Medical Center.

There used to be lots of glider activity at Mansfield.

BED is still the best general aviation airport serving Boston's fringes, but
for planning purposes, if you and your airplane are suitably equipt, don't
overlook Logan.

Old May 20th 04, 08:50 PM
Gary Drescher

"tony" wrote in message

Thanks. I just got a call from the guy I have to meet with. Turns out

he's
a pilot and wants to meet me at Mansfield Airport.

fwiw, Mansfield has only a VOR approach as best I remember. Should you

want
something a little more convienent, think of Norwood -- you'll drive by it

on
the way from Mansfield to the Medical Center.

There used to be lots of glider activity at Mansfield.

BED is still the best general aviation airport serving Boston's fringes,

but
for planning purposes, if you and your airplane are suitably equipt, don't
overlook Logan.

I've flown into Logan a couple of times on Angel Flight missions. It's quite
fun. I wouldn't fly there if I had to pay the landing fee, though.

--Gary

Old May 20th 04, 09:30 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I need to make a trip to Boston soon (from NJ), and will need to get to
the
New England Medical Center for a meeting. I would appreciate tips on
best
airports, FBO's, transportation, etc. Thanks.

I know you said you'll be going to Mansfield, but be aware of
the landing fee at KBED, which was recently implemented.

--
Bob Noel
Old May 20th 04, 11:33 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I need to make a trip to Boston soon (from NJ), and will need to get to
the
New England Medical Center for a meeting. I would appreciate tips on
best
airports, FBO's, transportation, etc. Thanks.

I know you said you'll be going to Mansfield, but be aware of
the landing fee at KBED, which was recently implemented.

Really? How recently? There's always been a landing fee there at night, but
did they start having one during the day as well?

--Gary

Old May 21st 04, 10:54 AM
Bob Noel

In article xmarc.13912$zw.7434@attbi_s01, "Gary Drescher"
wrote:

I know you said you'll be going to Mansfield, but be aware of
the landing fee at KBED, which was recently implemented.

Really? How recently? There's always been a landing fee there at night,
but
did they start having one during the day as well?

I think the landing fee for transients began July 2003.
The one annoucement I can find easily said it would be a
flat fee of $10-$15 for transient and commerical aircraft
under 10,000 lbs. Somewhere around here I might still have
the letter telling me about hangar rent increases, custom fees,
and landing fees.

--
Bob Noel