Another ADIZ violation?

Old December 29th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another ADIZ violation?

It's hardly an unexpected direction, considering there's a NOTAM
instructing you to do exactly that:

In an emergency, one can disregard NOTAMs. And if there are clouds,
you'd be dodging clouds as you try to make your exit. The flight would
look erratic and would attract the attention of big fast airplanes with
guns and missles.

I would consider a communications failure in the ADIZ to be a DIRE
EMERGENCY and would take what steps I thought prudent to stay alive. If
there's an airport below me, I'm probably not going to futz with trying
to thread my way among some cloud for twenty minutes to exit the ADIZ
just because of a NOTAM. It would not be prudent to assume that the
fighters that are scrambled won't pick me to make an example of that day.

Outside the ADIZ, a non-event. But the ADIZ can become a war zone in an
instant. It's a stupid construct, it has to go (along with the FRZ),
but until it does, aviators are depending on everything going right.

We've been lucky so far. But just lucky.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 29th 05, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

I wonder if the boys with the guns knows that when you rock your wing
it means you have no radio...

Old December 29th 05, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

"Flyingmonk" wrote:

I wonder if the boys with the guns knows that when you rock your wing
it means you have no radio...

I wonder how many pilots know that. I did not.

Ron Lee

Old December 29th 05, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 29 Dec 2005 12:22:55 -0800, "Flyingmonk"
wrote in . com::

I wonder if the boys with the guns knows that when you rock your wing
it means you have no radio...

Can you cite the regulation that supports that?

Old December 29th 05, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

10 Steps To Deal With a ADIZ Violation (from a pilot's perspective):

1. Thou shalt whip out your cell phone and immediately start calling
major media outfits to get a sympathetic side of the story out ASAP,
even before you've landed (or been shot down). Hey, free advertising.

2. Thou shalt plead abject ignorance as to how you busted an ADIZ.

Be like that cool gentleman whom had a nice tour around the Statue of
Liberty, "forgot" to talk to ATC, "forgot" lost procedures, and then
claimed he honestly didn't know where he was despite the abundance of
unique and prominent ground reference points in VMC.

3. Thou shalt immediately execute an Immelmann to exit the ADIZ. After
all, you've got armed men in much faster fighter jets chasing you!

Put on your flyin' goggles and go inverted in your SuperCub.

4. Thou shalt have a more competent and cool-headed passenger
(preferrably at least a student pilot) to fly you out of there when
you hit mental vapor lock.

5. Thou shalt *NOT* have a current map. Real Men don't need no stinkin' maps!

6. If thou play paper-scissors-rock with the nice F-16 fighters behind
you, assume that you're the paper and will lose every single time.

7. Thou shalt *NOT* study AIM section 5-6-2 ("Intercept Procedures");
information like that is, too, for wimps!

8. Don't bother the ATC controllers. They're too busy dealing with big
jets in a busy airspace to listen to puddlejumpers like you.

9. Play a game of 'Sneak in Like The Mossad' and test the detection and
response systems to make sure it's "up to par". (Also see the entry
under 'reporters: favorite tactics'.) It helps not to file flight
plans and blunder into the ADIZ. Who needs AWACS, after all?

10. Do all of the above at least thrice, preferrably at least five times.
Hey, practice makes perfect, right? It also helps clean up the gene
pool, too.

(Note: all of the above written entirely in jest. Better summary: "What
*NOT* to do regarding an ADIZ bust.")
Old December 29th 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in . com::
I wonder if the boys with the guns knows that when you rock your wing
it means you have no radio...

Can you cite the regulation that supports that?

I doubt it is a regulation. In fact, I don't know what it is. AOPA
has it on their website.

http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2003/intercept.pdf

in very short:

intercepter: rocks wings to say you've been intercepted.
interceptee: rocks wings and follows that plane to a new heading

intercepter: performs an abrupt climbingin 90 degree or more turn
interceptee: rock wings to acknowledge that "you may proceed"

intercepter: circles an airport and gets into landing configuration and
overflies runway
interceptee: land

intercepted aircraft signals to the intercepeter

Interceptee: comes out of landing configuration while overflying a
runway means the airport is inadequate.

interceptee: turns on and off all available lights at *regular*
intervals means 'cannot comply' with the instruction

interceptee: turns on and off all available lights at *irregular*
intervalsmeans 'in distress'

Interceptee has no lights, no radios, no cell phone, no handheld,
no flashlight, should promptly spin the plane into the largest
house in the immediate area to avoid having the US government
shooting high velocity (radioactive) depleted uranium over
densely populated areas and then having to face the media.

Gerald

Old December 29th 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

I was taught to rock my wings coming in to a landing in a controlled
tower when/if my radio was out. :^) When I started flying helos, I
have often wondered how the ATC was gonna be able to see me rock the
rotors...

Old December 29th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I remember you posted this before, and it is funny now. :^)

Old December 29th 05, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:24:58 +0000 (UTC), (Roy Smith)
wrote:

Jose wrote:
91.3 doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want. It gives you
the authority to deviate from the rules *to the extent required* to deal
with the emergency.

... and a communication failure in the ADIZ is a bona fide emergency
even in circumstances which, outside the ADIZ, would be a non-event. It
may well be better to turn around and land nearby than to point the nose
outward and drone on for fifteen minutes in an unexpected direction.

It's hardly an unexpected direction, considering there's a NOTAM
instructing you to do exactly that:

!FDC 4/5555 ZDC SPECIAL NOTICE... EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL
FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY
INSTRUCTIONS, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE IN EFFECT:
A. ANY PERSON OPERATING AN AIRCRAFT WITHIN THE WASHINGTON, DC
METROPOLITAN AREA AIR DEFENSE IDENTIFICATION ZONE (DC ADIZ),
IMMEDIATELY UPON BECOMING AWARE OF AN INABILITY TO COMPLY WITH THE
REQUIREMENT TO CONTINUOUSLY TRANSMIT THE ATC ASSIGNED TRANSPONDER
CODE, SHALL EXIT THE DC ADIZ BY FLYING THE MOST DIRECT COURSE TO
OUTSIDE THE LATERAL LIMITS OF THE DC ADIZ.

OK, this NOTAM handles the case of no transponder, but what about no 2
way comm's?

As long as he's still squawking the code, I would think turn around
and land at nearest suitable field (squawk 7600 for a minute or two
and then go back to assigned code?) should work to remain within the
limits of both requirements. Course, I wouldn't turn *toward* the
city or FRZ, but if there's an airfield right near me?
Old December 29th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In article , Peter Clark wrote:

(Somebody else wrote this particular paragraph, not Peter.)

91.3 doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want. It gives you
the authority to deviate from the rules *to the extent required* to deal
with the emergency.

I've lost track of the attribution for the above comment, but should
note that there has been cases in the past where a pilot had to deviate
from ATC instructions in order to deal with an immediate emergency,
dealt with it safely, but then got dinged by the FAA when they didn't
accept his situation as having had qualified under that provision.

One may *always* exercise authority under this provision, but it may not
necessarily be consequence-free.

[...]

That's a good point, though I would have to say that the general intent
is such that partial or complete loss in communications (including nav
related and voice communications) while in the ADIZ would most likely
and ordinarily result in an escort outside of the ADIZ to further
resolve.

(With laws and rules, the intent behind it is just as important as the
letter of the rule/law.)

One of the rationale behind this is that it is possible for a flight
crew to be overpowered when nearing a target and then go 'no comm'; how
does the ADIZ-watchers distinguish an accident from malicious intent?
Hence, err on side of caution by requiring an immediate exit.

Obviously, if one was on fire or had a situation that just *couldn't*
wait, then one does best one can to deal with it, and hope one isn't
shot down in the process.

If it was one of the simpler situations, then I'd just say to turn
'round and head out and deal with it elsewhere. No comm by itself is not
an emergency -- I say this as I exclusively fly NORDO. :-)

As long as he's still squawking the code, I would think turn around
and land at nearest suitable field (squawk 7600 for a minute or two
and then go back to assigned code?) should work to remain within the
limits of both requirements. Course, I wouldn't turn *toward* the
city or FRZ, but if there's an airfield right near me?

I guess that'd depend on if one can land there faster than the escorts
can show up.

Otherwise, the escorts might have different ideas as to where to go
next.

-Dan