Advice, please: too old to fly?

Old May 24th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Advice, please: too old to fly?

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
"R.W. Behan" wrote:
There can be no better source of advice than this group for my
question: am I too old to take up flying--and building an airplane?

I believe the minimum training for the airplane sport pilot certificate is
20 hours, not 10:
http://www.sportpilot.org/newpilot/n..._training.html

I would expect to take more than the minimum 20/40 hours. But, since the
objective is to go flying, why would it be a problem to fly a little more,
right?

What are you waiting for?
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old May 25th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
It would take longer to get the necessary private pilot's license--40 hours of
flying time instead of 10--but I see that as a huge advantage: nothing beats
experience. And flight training and airplane building could proceed
simultaneously, couldn't they?

You, (unless you are very talented and unusual person) will likely not be
ready for any license in 10 hours or even in 40 hours. I learned to fly at a
rather late age (but not that late) and as a glider CFI I taught several older
students, and I can tell you that it just takes longer. You can learn to fly
safely, there is no particular reason why you should not take flight lessons,
but you must have patience. The simple fact is that the average 70 year-old
flight student will learn much slower than the average 20 year-old flight
student. This is true no matter how intelligent you happen to be, because it is
a physical skill you are learning and brainpower is not everything in that
situation. Check your pride at the cockpit door, do not put any time limits on
yourself and do not push your CFI to solo you until he is eager to do so.
Learning to fly is flying, and it is fun! Paying the CFI is the cheapest part
of flying, so why rush it?

Heck, I still take a CFI up on a fairly regular basis just for the hell of
it.

Vaughn (CFIG)

Old May 25th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"R.W. Behan" wrote in message
There can be no better source of advice than this group for my question:

am
I too old to take up flying--and building an airplane?

Full disclosure. As a young man in the Korean War I was an aviation
machinist's mate in the Navy. As a forestry student in the late '50's I

was
a smokejumper, so I have quite a bit of experience in the ultimate

maneuver:
abandoning an airplane in flight. As a forester in Southeast Alaska, I

had
many hours of time flying with a bush pilot, as a passenger. Lots of
airplanes in my background, but I'm now 73.

I find the Zenith STOL's irresistible. The 701, the 2-seater, can be

flown
with a 10-hour sport license, so at my age--and limited time out there
ahead--it might make sense to focus on that airplane. But I'd really

prefer
the 801, the 4-place plane. It would take longer to get the necessary
private pilot's license--40 hours of flying time instead of 10--but I see
that as a huge advantage: nothing beats experience. And flight training

and
airplane building could proceed simultaneously, couldn't they?

I've enjoyed a great deal following the discussions on this board, and

I've
learned a lot here. Maybe it has been the stimulus for my cockamamie

dream.

Your knowledgeable comments will be most appreciated, and thanks a

million.

Dick Behan

Any prior experience that you might have is a plus. Go ahead, and have fun!

Peter

Old May 25th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Adam Aulick" wrote

Apparently the Savannah is a direct copy of the 701:
http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7-photo-copies.html#Ultraflight

Yep, and the 701 folks raise a lot of questions about the safety of said
copy. Go to Zenith.com and Poke around, before you make up your mind.

Try http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7-photo-copies.html
--
Jim in NC

Old May 25th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote:
"Adam Aulick" wrote

Apparently the Savannah is a direct copy of the 701:
http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7-photo-copies.html#Ultraflight

Yep, and the 701 folks raise a lot of questions about the safety of said
copy. Go to Zenith.com and Poke around, before you make up your mind.

Try http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7-photo-copies.html

Zenith seems to want to have it both ways: claims it's an exact copy, yet
raises questions about its safety. If it were "just" a copy, Zenith would
be in the position of questioning the safety of its own design.
Old May 25th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Folks, thanks very much for your time, concern, patience, and encouragement.

Hearing no objection, so ordered: away we go into the blue yonder, perhaps
not so wildly as those with more hair and fewer wrinkles. Patience and
diligence will be applied liberally. (The reference to 10 and 40 hours
reflects my understanding of the minima, not my anxious expectations.
Whatever it takes, right?)

And Zenith makes a good case for their original design.

Thanks one and all. Blue skies and tailwinds to you.

Dick Behan

Old May 25th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

With your enthusiasm and past experience you should be able to pass
your private training.

The main issue is your health. Is it OK to pass the FAA medical. For
FAA medical standards see http://www.leftseat.com/FAAforms.htm

Also expect to pay about $6K for your training. The average training
flight time is more like 60 hours and not 40.

Old May 25th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Dick, I'm glad to hear it.

But I agree with Sky Daddy, above - strongly consider buying a
completed 701. Even the simplest plane takes a couple of years to
build, and you can almost always buy used for less than the cost of
building yourself. When you're done with it you'll be able to sell it
for near what you've paid.

Old May 25th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thanks for the headsup on medical standards. I checked your link and see no
problems there except perhaps hearing. I do have hearing aids in both ears:
is that a showstopper? (The leftseat.com site wasn't clear on that.)
Thanks.

Dick B.

oups.com...

Old May 25th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard:

I once had the plans to build a 30' bluewater sailboat. Then a
knowledgeable friend said buying a boat was much faster than building one.
I took his advice (bought a Westsail 32) and never looked back. Maybe I'm
in need of sensible advice again, and you and Sky Daddy are providing it.

I do note, though, that Zenith airplanes seem rarely if ever to be on the
market.

Anyway, thanks. Probably much smarter at my age--and God knows quicker--to
buy than to build.

Cheers,

Dick B.

ups.com...