Vista64 experience with Jeppesen, Garmin, and FSX

Old January 10th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Default Vista64 experience with Jeppesen, Garmin, and FSX

Roger wrote:

They are nuts if they change it as the vast majority will still be
using USB. Since the coming of XP which is the predominant OS most
motherboards and systems talk to the rest of the world through USB
although some still have a single serial port. and a firewire
connection.

This is the problem with 430/530's stupid assed proprietary
datacard. The MX20/GNS480/GX200 line uses standard Windows
Filesystem on CF (or SD for the 200) cards. They give you a
standard sandisk programmer with the unit, but the software
knows nothing about it really, it just looks for a removable
file system with the appropriate media/volume id's in the
header. I use the regular CF programmer slot I use for
my digital camera.
Old January 10th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.

"Roger" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:34:23 GMT, "Ron A." wrote:

They are nuts if they change it as the vast majority will still be
using USB. Since the coming of XP which is the predominant OS most
motherboards and systems talk to the rest of the world through USB
although some still have a single serial port. and a firewire
connection.

It is apparent that USB and Firewire are still the connections of choice
based on hardware available to purchase. It's just a new OS and the drivers
have to be re-written and aren't available yet. I'm not expecting any
sympathy. It's just what happens when you adopt a completely new OS early.
The drivers will come. I didn't expecte HP to be on the backside of the
curve. Garmin a little. Jeppesen has a big history of being slow.

Front? It should come out the back and there are *inserts* of all
configurations to fit that output opening in back. (if the case is a
standard one)

The blank fits the integrated connectors on the motherboard for the
rectangular opening in the case. The serial port header is on the front of
the board. It is further than the length of even old super-tower case 9 pin
serial ribbon cables. It is entirely a problem based on where Intel put the
serial port header. It is near the memory (the front right corner). I
appreciate your offer though. It wouldn't be an issue for me if I didn't
have to program my handheld GPS. It will fixed soon when USB to Serial port
adapters come with Vista compatible drivers.

You aren't running multimedia are you?

I have done some video editing with Pinnacle AV over Firewire, but they have
a history of writing such buggy stuff I am going to wait before I try to
install anything of theirs. I use Media Player 11 for my CD library, it
works.

There is. Don't blame Garmin yet. MS probably didn't included them as
MS developers and left them on their own. If you aren't on the list
it doesn't matter how long you have known.

Anyone can be a developer for the price of an MSDN subcription. The digital
certificate for drivers costs additional money and time to satisfy Microsoft
but Garmin is a big business. They will have to pay and do it to sell
product. I guess their track record on WAAS leaves some doubt on how long
it will take. Vista has been available in beta for a long time for testing.
The concept of the certificate is similar to secure web-site registration
but otherwise different. They have to verify the quality of the drivers in
addition to who they are.

particularly with Vista's heavy handed Digital Rights management (DRM)
when used with entertainment centers as I do here.

How is that different than Jeppesen making sure you don't copy their
databases? Seems about the same to me, but we have to live with it. Enough
time will pass and the vast majority of people will desire the Media enough
to put up with it. Nobody has been successful boycotting Jeppesen yet to
un-protect their databases.

I just wanted people to be forewarned to help make an educated choice if
they need to update their GPS's.

Ron A.

Old January 13th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Peter" wrote in message ...

How does Garmin prevent people sharing data on e.g. the MX20/GNS480,
when the flash cards are standard FAT?

Garmin doesn't.
Jeppesen does it by managing the subscription services.

Old January 13th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Peter" wrote in message ...

"John R. Copeland" wrote

How does Garmin prevent people sharing data on e.g. the MX20/GNS480,
when the flash cards are standard FAT?

Garmin doesn't.
Jeppesen does it by managing the subscription services.

OK, so if a bunch of GNS480 owners get together, they can copy the CF
data cartridges and share them? That's pretty good - essential here in
Europe where we pay some USD3000+ for European Jeppview

Someone in that bunch will need to be a skilled hacker, though.
There are license keys involved.
Furthermore, the MX20 and GNS480 keys are handled differently.