Foolish Buyer Tricks

Old September 17th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Default Fuel Storage Limits - Was: Foolish Buyer Tricks

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:

I can only give antidotal evidence, but I never drain the tanks in the
tractor, generator, snow blowers, lawn mowers...etc. Some of it ends
up in there for several years and I've never had mo gas go bad.

HOWEVER...When I shut down any one of them and know it will be for a
while, I do shut off the gas and let the thing run until the carb is
dry and the engine quits. If you leave the carb full of gas the stuff
will slowly evaporate over long periods and that will form "gunk". Gas
in my big generator may end up as old as two years. I turn on the gas,
give it time to fill the carb float bowl (just a few minutes) and it's
never failed to start.

Gum forms when fuel evaporates. If it can't evaporate I can't see how
it could form deposits. With the stuff still being good after two
years, I really don't believe it breaks down with age, or at least not
nearly as fast as some say.

Even back on the farm in "the old days" we never had problems with gas
going bad in storage or in the tractors over the winter.
We had both above and below ground storage.

This has been my experience.

Down here in the south (we probably don't have "winterizers"), you'd
have syrup coming out the fuel lines, or we used to. Dunno, I don't ever
let fuel sit that long anymore...

And thats been my experience...
Old September 17th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Down here in the south (we probably don't have "winterizers"), you'd
have syrup coming out the fuel lines, or we used to. Dunno, I don't ever
let fuel sit that long anymore...

And thats been my experience...- Hide quoted text -

Hey Darrel -- thanks to you (and your Dad) for sending us the Cajun
spices! We'll put it to goooooood use...

;-)

(Darrel and his Dad ended up being pressed into doing most of the
grillmeister work for our Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party at the hotel last
July. I was so danged busy running people over from the airport that
we'd STILL be waiting to eat if I had done my usual cook duties, too!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 18th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Foolish Buyer Tricks

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:t6Odna1iRNU0UHDbnZ2dnUVZ_rGrnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Another foolish buyer trick is buying a fixer-upper. Generally, an
airplane's value is LESS than the sum of its parts. Take a $30k C-172 or
Cherokee, add new paint @ $8k, a new interior @ $5k, a new panel @ $15k,
an engine overhaul @ $15k and you still have an airplane worth $50k or
less despite the $70k+ you've invested.

I don't know about that. My dad went through several fixer-uppers and did
just fine with them. Of course, you can't just hand the aircraft and a
credit card to someone and say "fix it".

Sweat equity wasn't included in my equation, although some owners put plenty
of it into their aircraft. In my instance, I built my own airplane, so I
know all about sweat equity. And blood equity. And bye-bye girlfriend
equity. However, many people lack the time, skills, or willpower to tackle
a job as big as painting an airplane or rewiring a panel or rebuilding an
engine. And there is nothing wrong with that.

So for those people, it is wise to buy the airplane they want, because it'll
be far cheaper than buying a fixer upper and bringing it up to their
standard.

That's all I was saying...

KB

Example - $8K for paint??? Most of that cost is prep work which you can do
yourself. I spent more then a few hours stripping paint as a kid. I
particularly remember a Navion - there's a TON of rivet heads to be
cleaned when you strip a Navion... After agreeing on how it was to be
painted (I don't remember the details, but I thing they aggreed to white
with some brown stripes) the old man flew it off somewhere to get the
paint sprayed (and I assume that he did the masking work too). It came
back in a real sharp looking maroon with cream trim paint job...

Overhaul - you have to have a mechanic that will work with you and sign
off on your work. (Pop used to be a crew chief in the Army Air Corps)

It helps if you enjoy doing that kind of work.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old September 18th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Jay Honeck wrote:

Down here in the south (we probably don't have "winterizers"), you'd
have syrup coming out the fuel lines, or we used to. Dunno, I don't
ever let fuel sit that long anymore...

And thats been my experience...- Hide quoted text -

Hey Darrel -- thanks to you (and your Dad) for sending us the Cajun
spices! We'll put it to goooooood use...

;-)

As "good cajuns", we should always carry those with us, our bad. I did
bring our very best local BBQ Sauce for you though...

(Darrel and his Dad ended up being pressed into doing most of the
grillmeister work for our Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party at the hotel last
July. I was so danged busy running people over from the airport that
we'd STILL be waiting to eat if I had done my usual cook duties, too!)

Not a problem, glad to be able to help out. I dunno what the future
holds for a repeat, as we've made our trip to Mecca!!! But you(r) people
do grow some excellent corn!!!
Old September 18th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Following up on the pilgrimage topic, since people who have made the trip to
Mecca add 'al Hajji ' to their names, perhaps 'al Oshi ' is appropriate for
the Oshkosh crowd?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. 18...