Carb Temperature Gauge

Old January 13th 04, 02:57 AM
fly_the_skies

Default Carb Temperature Gauge

Recently while poking around Westach's website (www.westach.com) I noticed
they sell a carburetor temperature gauge (2C3-1) to monitor whether your
carb air is in the range to cause carb icing. The gauge requires a sender
unit (399W) for the carburetor. I sent an e-mail to Westach asking if the
sender mounted in an existing hole in the Bing 54 carburetor or did one have
to be drilled. Also asked on a dual carb installation whether the forward
or rear carb was monitored. This is the response I received:

"Yes if your carb does not have a hole then one needs to be drilled.
Just where exactly? I do not know. Also on the front or rear carb I have
never been asked that before and don't have the slightest idea. Sorry"

Has anyone ever purchased and installed this gauge and sending unit for a
Bing 54 carb?

Old January 13th 04, 03:26 PM
Eric Miller

My Dragonfly has a Westach carb temp guage installed. The installation
directions say to drill and tap a 1/4 x 28 hole.after the venturi and main
jet but before the throttle valve. I'm using a Ellison throttle body
injector instead, and my probe is installed in the intake manifold just past
the TBI, so it's just a hole in a pipe.

Eric

. ..

Old January 13th 04, 06:48 PM
Veeduber

To All:

Common indoor/outdoor digital thermometers will work for this application, at
least on the test stand. These units are inexpensive, more than accurate
enough to monitor the temperatures in question. Using an array of these
(three or four) along your manifold offers a nice picture of the length of the
endothermic zone.

For best results the metal under the sensor should be bare, the sensor applied
with heat-sink compound and secured with some sort of clamp. (Hose clamps
work.)

I've found carb inlet temp is most easily monitored at the carb heat box.

Solid-state cooking thermometers have sufficient range to measure carb heater
muff performance. The long stainless steel probe may be bent about 1" back
from the tip. (Makes for neater mounting.)

-R.S.Hoover
Old January 14th 04, 10:44 AM
Roland M

I probably would have left it in place and rigged up
the sender to monitor carburetor temps.

http://www.precisionnav.com/productDetail?nodeId=c18

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting was the display bright enought?

............Also the model you quoted is V2000 $79...........

the3-Mode Compass Display
shows the direction traveled with a large compass rose, 16 cardinal
points and 5° numeric digits

...........There is a more expensive model V7000 $129.........

3-Mode Compass Display
shows the direction traveled with a large compass rose, 8 cardinal
points and 1° numeric digits

Would this one do the Job?
http://www.precisionnav.com/productDetail?nodeId=c25
Thanks
Jack
Old January 14th 04, 04:07 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 14 Jan 2004 01:44:25 -0800, (Roland M) wrote:

I probably would have left it in place and rigged up
the sender to monitor carburetor temps.

http://www.precisionnav.com/productDetail?nodeId=c18

Interesting was the display bright enought?

Don't recall any problems. It had a standard LCD screen, which meant it
had better contrast under bright light. And since it was installed in an
open-cockpit airplane....

...........Also the model you quoted is V2000 $79...........

Actually, I referenced that model just because it looked somewhat close to
what I'd tested. I had the model V5000TA, which, IIRC, had the 16 cardinal
points and the digital readout to (I believe) a degree.

I found my posted review of the V5000TA, it can be found at:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C18C25975

As you'll see, the device seemed to have problems in an aircraft
environment.

Ron Wanttaja