GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - MAY ISSUE

Old April 19th 14, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - MAY ISSUE

THE MAY 2014 ISSUE OF
GLIDING INTERNATIONAL

Our new page size has generated literally hundreds of complimentary emails. Seems our subscribers are telling us it has been a great move. So here's another spectacular issue that goes in the mail in the middle of next week. You'll have it by the week-end with any luck - postal authorities obliging.

We have found 60 or so new absorbing topics for this coffee table issue. The photos, as always, are incredible.

* The authorative soaring journalist, Elk Fuglasang-Petersen (Geermany) writes for Gliding international about a special interview she had with Jim Payne, the pilot for the Perlan Project. Jim is the record holder as being the highest ever producer of On-Line Championships points.

* Aldo Cernezzi has written about his evaluation of Schleicher's ASH30 Mi two seater. Fantastically illustrated this well written report points out all the goods things about the ASH30 and the one bad - the rate of roll, 45 to 45.

* New Zealand and the world has lost a founding father - Dick Georgeson, the holder of many world records, a Lilienthal medal holder, and the foremost explorer of wave flying. Dick died in April, aged 92. His cousin, Gavin Wills, the managing director of Glide Omarama writes about Dick's extensive list of goals, medals and awards.

* New discovery. Portable electric units, and Lithium batteries can be fully charged in 30 seconds. A major break through.

* We catch up with a glider pilot (who speaks fluent English) in Kiev, Ukraine. His gliding club has been grounded and he writes about the political scene and how it is affecting his club

* Everyone has heard about this season's bush fires in Australia. Spectacular soaring conditions when the heat from the fires meets the cumulus clouds above. A good story (and photos) from a Danish pilot's visit to Australia.

* Soaring over Arabia - Three Stemme motor-gliders tour the country and with a large support team produce a story and photos that is remarkable. Maurice Weaver reports on the expedition "Wings over Arabia."

* A book full of decisions and changes to the Sporting Code were made at this year's I.G.C. meeting in Italy. Full report.

* Maria Szemplinska produces a photographic masterpiece up to her usual standard. (Humourous too)

* Gliding International does a survey of over 80 clubs world wide as to the use of diesel-powered tugs. A big surprise in those results.

* A step back in history to the 1500s and a look at how Leonardo da Vinci viewed the possibilities of flight. He was on the right track.

* If a sailplane manufacturer announces a new feature today, it is highly likely that it was already standard equipment on a Eugen Hanle Libelle in the 1960s. The list is long and extremely interesting.

* We up date readers on the latest in sailplane avionics and instruments. The issue is worth the cost just to get this information alone.

* Time and gain we hear from the critics that "gliding is dead". Well don't you believe it and we write and tell you why?

* We have never seen so many bald headed enthusiasts in one place ever. Photos from the SSA convention (February/March) are illuminating.

* There has been much talk about "head up" instruments for sailplanes recently. We have found that they were first out on the market for our sport in 1990, but were at least two years ahead of their time. The episode ended in the French courts with a substantial defamation claim.

* An Australian pilot reviewed the figures we produced last issue and compared pilot numbers to the country's population and then graded them from the top down. Surprise Surprise - to find out which is the Top Gliding Nation in the world. All set out in this issue.

* Plus 40 other stories that will educate and inform.

We hope you will join us.

JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR.

Old April 19th 14, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I can promise that at least some of the SSA convention attendees were NOT bald!