Which Ultralight to build.....

Old June 3rd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WC

Default Which Ultralight to build.....

OK, was planning on building a Texas Parasol (as you've probably seen from
my previous posts) but it's looking like it may not be a very good design
for a legal 103. That being the case, what design to build. I spent a good
part of my life as a mechanic, can weld steel and aluminum (stick, mig,
tig), have access to a machine shop. Below is my wish list.

Legal FAR Part 103 (not going to quibble a few pounds but would like it
close)

Built from plans rather then kit

Short takeoff and landing (under 300 feet)

Prefer a high wing

Ability to trailer (wings remove easily)

Prefer tractors to pushers

Big wheels a plus (for field operations)

I tend to prefer "conventional" looking designs like the N-3 Pup or a J-3
kitten but I can't see how it can be kept near 254 without striping it naked
so I'm starting to think a more form follows function design (keep it simple
and to the point and invest the weight where it is useful rather then on
ascetics). With that in mind I'm looking at designs like the Dream Classic
or the Weedhopper 40 although both of these are kit. How about the Legal
Eagle? One other design I was looking at was the Aero Adventure Aventura UL
(even though its out of my price range). Do you get to take the float
allowance flying boat?

Looking forward to your advice;

WayneC

Old June 3rd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WC

"WC" wrote in message ...
[...]

"Steve Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Try looking at an Airbike. I think the plans are out there somewhere.

Blue Skys, Steve

Thanks Steve

Looks fantastic. Found an article on Ultrlight Flyer. In the tabulated specs
it listed empty weight as 300 lbs but in the text it said it was 220
lbs.....
It looks like Ison and site said they now belong to Mini-Max. I hunted
through Mini-Max and found no ref to Airbike or anything that looks like it.

Anyone know where to get plans?

Old June 4th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

WC wrote:

"WC" wrote in message ...

[...]

"Steve Ross" wrote in message
. ..

Try looking at an Airbike. I think the plans are out there somewhere.

Blue Skys, Steve

Thanks Steve

Looks fantastic. Found an article on Ultrlight Flyer. In the tabulated specs
it listed empty weight as 300 lbs but in the text it said it was 220
lbs.....
It looks like Ison and site said they now belong to Mini-Max. I hunted
through Mini-Max and found no ref to Airbike or anything that looks like it.

Anyone know where to get plans?

I don't think plans were ever offered for it - kit form only.
Old June 4th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Ross

TEAM AIRBIKE PLANS FOR SALE! Team Airbike complete set of plans $125.00 Team
Airbike Tandem complete set of plans $200.00 Email me at EMAIL 11-15-2006

Hello, You just can't beat Google

Best Wishes, Steve

"WC" wrote in message ...

"WC" wrote in message ...
[...]

. ..

Old June 4th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Ross

http://www.ultralightnews.com/classifieds/airbike.htm

Heres the webpage I got that from.

Steve

. ..

"WC" wrote in message ...

"WC" wrote in message ...
[...]

. ..

Old June 4th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Steve Ross wrote:
http://www.ultralightnews.com/classifieds/airbike.htm

Heres the webpage I got that from.

Steve

Cool!

The ad is dated 11/06, but I sent an email anyway to see what he's got.

If they are construction plans rather than assembly stuff, well it's a
real possibility.

You can weld. right?

Richard
Old June 4th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

cavelamb himself wrote:

Steve Ross wrote:

http://www.ultralightnews.com/classifieds/airbike.htm

Heres the webpage I got that from.

Steve

Cool!

The ad is dated 11/06, but I sent an email anyway to see what he's got.

If they are construction plans rather than assembly stuff, well it's a
real possibility.

You can weld. right?

Richard

Oops..... 300 lbs?

My impression was that it was kit only...
But I just got a reply from the seller that they are construction plans.

Might want to drop a note to Isonair and ask about that...

Min speed: 23 kt 26 mph 42 kmh
Cruise speed: 56 kt 65 mph 105 kmh
Vne: 78 kt 90 mph 145 kmh

Max. take off weight: 254 kg | 560 lbs
Empty weight: 136 kg | 300 lbs
Engine: Rotax 447

Other information:
Text and photo from: http://www.ultralightflyer.com/airbike/
The Airbike has been in production since 1995. It mates a welded
steel fuselage
to an all wood wing.Standard features include an open cockpit,
removable wings,
steerable tailwheel, 4 point safety harness, fuel tank, factory welded
fuselage and
tail. Options include various engines, folding wings brakes, trim,
wheel pants,
wing tips bucket seat, extra fuel, plus various quick build and assembly
packages. For more information contact ISON Aircraft • 10790 Ivy Bluff
Road •
Bradyville, TN 37026 Phone (615) 765-5397 • Fax (615) 765-7234 e-mail:

Old June 4th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim

Guy at my field built and flies an Airbike. Kit, not plans though. It
weighs 252 lbs., so is supposedly 103 legal. Single cylinder Hirth engine.
Lots of vibration. But he likes it, and it is 103 legal. Far as I know,
it's the only one that is at my field.

Martha

Old June 4th 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
dodger

As I understand it Ison was sued by a pilot who was injured in an
airbike. The suit settlement caused him to loose the rights of the
airbike to the plaintiff and they have been unavailable to the public
since. It's been a while since I read the facts on the case, but I
believe this is substantially correct.

Have you considered a Skypup? Genuine 103 capable. There's an active
builders group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Skypup-club/ . Check
www.machnone.com for building information or www.skypup.net for
general information on the skypup.

Unfortunately, you won't get to do any welding, it's constructed out
of wood/fabric/foam.

Roger

On Jun 4, 1:29 am, "Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim"
wrote:
[...]

WayneC- Hide quoted text -

ultralight seaplane Friedrich Ostertag Piloting 13 September 16th 05 03:37 AM
Sparrowhawk Ultralight [email protected] Soaring 26 June 15th 05 07:22 PM
Ultralight? dlevy Owning 3 September 1st 04 04:27 PM
Ultralight costs Bob Martin Home Built 1 January 1st 04 09:34 PM
RV Quick Build build times... [email protected] Home Built 2 December 17th 03 03:29 AM