Airline VP Named COO of FAA ATC: Fox In Henhouse?

Old September 23rd 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Airline VP Named COO of FAA ATC: Fox In Henhouse?

Does anyone else see a potential conflict of interest here?

FAA NAMES UAL CAPTAIN AS CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER FOR ATO
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196171)
Henry (Hank) Krakowski, vice president of flight operations for
United Air Lines, has been named
(http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot9707.htm) chief operating officer
(COO) of the FAA's Air Traffic Organization. He will lead the
35,000 controllers, technicians, engineers and support personnel
who run the National Airspace System. As COO, he will oversee
operations and finances as well as research and acquisition
programs. "Hank is the right person to help implement the next
generation of aviation technology," said Department of
Transportation Secretary Mary Peters. "His commitment to safety,
outstanding operational experience, and leadership abilities will
advance our efforts to modernize our nation's air transportation
system."
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196171
Old September 23rd 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Does anyone else see a potential conflict of interest here?

I have to believe that he will no longer be a UAL captain when
he starts his job as COO. So, no, his current job doesn't present
a conflict of interest.

Let us hope he understands all aspects of GA operations throughout
the country instead of being a mindless zombie who thinks that
all flying is hub/spoke.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old September 23rd 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:28:59 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Does anyone else see a potential conflict of interest here?

I have to believe that he will no longer be a UAL captain when
he starts his job as COO. So, no, his current job doesn't present
a conflict of interest.

I wasn't referring to a scheduling conflict. I'm wondering if his ATC
decisions will favor major airline interests over regionals and GA. It
would be interesting to know just how much authority his new FAA
position gives him in establishing policy and regulation changes.

Let us hope he understands all aspects of GA operations throughout
the country instead of being a mindless zombie who thinks that
all flying is hub/spoke.

Doubtful, IMO. And even if he does understand them, will he respect
them given his major airline affiliation?

Old September 23rd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I wasn't referring to a scheduling conflict. I'm wondering if his ATC
decisions will favor major airline interests over regionals and GA.

Although the possibility exists, I take comfort in my many
conversations with airline captains. Thankfully, airline captains
aren't born whole -- they work their way up from the bottom, and often
look back with nostalgia and wistfulness at their early days in
aviation.

This means that not only were they once GA pilots themselves, they
often long for the freedom and sheer joy of flying their own plane
whenever and wherever they want, and chafe under the yoke of "flying
the line".

I haven't met any airline pilot who would knowingly do anything to
harm GA. Let's hope this new guy fits the mold.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 23rd 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Fortunately, many still *are* GA pilots; and I hope that this guy is one of
them!

Peter