On pre-flight inspections

Old July 28th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

Default On pre-flight inspections

On Jul 26, 11:41*pm, D Ramapriya wrote:
Has any of you has ever discovered something during the pre-flight
inspection that necessitated a significant deferrment of your flight
plan or a cancelation altogether? Just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

Ramapriya

Rubbing noise when checking aileron = interconnect spring came off -
canceled flight
Bad mag during runup couldn't clear - canceled flight
Old July 28th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article , lefty133
@bellsouth.net says...
"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

I did watch a PA28 do turns around a tiedown once because the PIC
didn't untie the left wing before trying to taxi out.

I once watched a rental 172 return from an apparently uneventful flight
with the rudder lock still attached to the rudder. Take-home lesson: Some
folks fly flat-footed.

Also, at least twice I have ran down and stopped planes on the taxiway
with flags flying from left-on pitot covers. Take-home lesson: One good
reason to put flags on them is so someone else can save your bacon after
you do a crappy preflight.

Vaughn

I nearly started an engine with a propeller lock still in place--and was
fortunate enough to have someone wave my down in time. Due to lucky timing
and the good samaritan, there was no damage.

How on earth did your pre-flight (spin the prop over?) not catch that
one!

--
Duncan
Old July 28th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:39:29 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

In article ,
Gezellig wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:04:45 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

Depends on what counts as "significant deferrment" and what counts as
"pre-flight".

Which begs this question.

How bad does a wood prop have to be to cancel a flight? I was going to
take a flight in a DA20 which has a twin blade Sensenich W69EK7-63 wood
propeller. On pre-flight, the prop was chipped in several places, no
runs but then its painted or enameled white.

http://www.controller.com/images/Con...e/80614723.jpg

The edges were so rough I was concerned about catching a splinter. I
passed.

And you?

I'm not a propellor sort of guy, but rough enough to catch a splinter
would be a definite no-go for me! Being that messed up sounds like a
potential structural problem to me. I'd bet that it's *probably* just
cosmetic, but I hate to bet on probablies. Having a blade suddenly fail
would ruin your whole day....

Dave added:

That would be a pass for me! I would stop right there......

For a friend here.... he passed on 3 spinner cracks on a rental 172.

One crack was 1 1/2 in long.

They (others) continued to fly the aircraft for another week before
the spinner was removed

Dave

Thanks, guys, I was really shocked as the local CFI had no problemo with
this prop which was on a student trainer.
Old July 28th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:48:00 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

In article , lefty133
@bellsouth.net says...
"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

[...]

It is obvious that Vaughn is very inexperienced.
Old July 28th 09, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Garret

In article ,
Franklin "Franklin wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:25:04 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

I did watch a PA28 do turns around a tiedown once because the PIC
didn't untie the left wing before trying to taxi out.

I once watched a rental 172 return from an apparently uneventful flight
with the rudder lock still attached to the rudder. Take-home lesson:
Some
folks fly flat-footed.

Also, at least twice I have ran down and stopped planes on the taxiway
with flags flying from left-on pitot covers. Take-home lesson: One good
reason to put flags on them is so someone else can save your bacon after
you do a crappy preflight.

Vaughn

I nearly started an engine with a propeller lock still in place--and was
fortunate enough to have someone wave my down in time. Due to lucky
timing
and the good samaritan, there was no damage.

Heh, funny you should mention that. I once forgot to remove an orange
cone that the FBO had "helpfully" placed in front of the prop. It's
amazing what a propeller -- even one not moving at full speed -- can do
to an orange cone. That one set me back quite a bit as well.

rg

Are cones expensive or are your poor?

Franklin

Cones are cheap, but engine rebuilds after a prop strike aren't. (I
was, of course, referring not to money, but to the time it took to
consult with a mechanic to convince myself that a rebuild would not be
necessary.)

rg
Old July 28th 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:14:03 -0400, Franklin "Franklin
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:30:57 -0500, Maxwell wrote:

Badly frayed cable on the horizontal stabilizer. AI caught it while fueling
the aircraft. Showed it to the pilot who decided it would make back home,
about 30 miles. AI actually begged his pax to stay behind. At about 200' on
take off the cable failed. Aircraft did a complete loop impacting the ground
at about a 60 degree angle. Nothing left of the aircraft more than knee
high. Engine buried about 2'. Pilot died instantly, but the pax with all
broken bones, struggled for help for almost 5 minutes before expiring.

The guilt you should feel for not stopping both of them. What a cad you
are.

Franklin

franklin you should be ashamed of yourself.
you have no details of the incident other than what maxwell posted so
you are not in a position to judge him.
you have no idea what condition the cable actually was.
if the aircraft was refuelling it made the last flight ok and there is
nothing to say that the pilot may have been correct.

in this world you are free to make your own choices ...and wear the
consequences.
when was the last time you flew an aircraft?

tragic as it was maxwell isnt to blame.

Stealth pilot
Old July 28th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
In article , lefty133
@bellsouth.net says...
"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

[...]

It was a bit more than 25 years ago and I've forgotten the bit of trivia
that led to the error, other than the fact that I was only there to exercise
the engine and not to fly; but it was also a good illustration of why
maintenance operations need the same attention to detail and safety as
flight operations.

The cowling shape of the particular aircraft allowed a cable type lock to
remain partially hidden from view, when seated in the left front, and my
solution was to add a bright yellow wrapping with tassels--so that any
repetition would be obvious from inside the cabin and also nearly impossible
to forget on the walkaround.

Peter

Old July 28th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

D Ramapriya wrote:
Has any of you has ever discovered something during the pre-flight
inspection that necessitated a significant deferrment of your flight
plan or a cancelation altogether? Just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

Ramapriya

Yes.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old July 28th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:09:30 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

"Peter Dohm" wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

[...]

Please be more clear for the beginners next time.

Franklin
Old July 28th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:05:39 -0700 (PDT), D Ramapriya wrote:

On Jul 27, 4:47*pm, "vaughn"
wrote:

One day I had pulled a glider out to the flight line and completed my
pre-flight, only to find that the tow pilot was taking a bathroom break.
Just to kill time, I wandered over to the tow plane and gave it a casual
once-over. *To my shock, I discovered that one of the struts on the
horizontal stabilizer was broken loose from its fuselage attachment. *That
plane's next flight might have been its last!

This one made my day, Vaughan (or is it spelt Vaugn?)

Troll fake modesty. You can clearly see his name above.

Franklin

annual inspections [email protected] Soaring 1 October 20th 07 01:08 AM
100 Hour Inspections Judah Piloting 26 December 1st 06 02:30 PM
Homebuilt Inspections john smith Home Built 8 December 25th 04 02:20 PM
Time Measurement for Inspections O. Sami Saydjari Owning 15 April 7th 04 05:26 AM
Pre-buy inspections Paul Folbrecht Owning 12 March 1st 04 12:27 AM