Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade reminder Nov 15

Old November 13th 05, 04:58 AM
Peter R.

Default Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade reminder Nov 15

Doug wrote:

What functionality do you get after the upgrade that you don't have now?

The ability to fly glideslope-like approaches with the GPS into airports
that never could afford an ILS.

--
Peter

Old November 14th 05, 11:46 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

It's the 'later this year' that I've been hearing for 3 yrs. I also don't
want the box to go in for terrain (which I have on an EFB) and then go back
for WAAS. I'll do it once. (and for all)

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:

At AOPA in Tampa, the Garmin rep said "No airways on 430/530 series GPS"

I've been told this as well. When I ask "why", I get silly answers like
"it's too complex a way to enter flight plans".

That always sounded silly to me...until I spoke to a VFR-only pilot about
it. So perhaps either (1) Garmin sells mostly to VFR pilots or (2) Garmin
tests their software mostly with VFR pilots.

Or perhaps (3) it was just a silly excuse. I've heard other silly things
that speak to some disconnect with the company. For example, technical
support once told me that there'd be no CPU speedup in the WAAS upgrade,
and that it would be done later. That same day, someone in engineering
told me "of course the CPU will be faster; that's required for
certification!"

They're all very nice and helpful. Amazing as I find it (I deal mostly
with
tech firms {8^), Garmin has some friendly and communicative people working
for them. I just wish they'd get the story straight laugh.

Then again they said WAAS in late 2003, early '04

I'm also waiting on terrain.

Hey, isn't that out already (as of late last year, if I recall correctly)?
Or was that only for the 530?

- Andrew

Old November 18th 05, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

I'm also waiting on terrain.

Hey, isn't that out already (as of late last year, if I recall correctly)?
Or was that only for the 530?

Certified terrain (TAWS) is only available on the 530 and it's
expensive. Terrain "advisories" are available now for the 430 and 530.
It's coming standard on all new units (as of beginning of September). If
you bought a unit after June 1 the upgrade is free otherwise it's $500.
In either case you'll also need to pay for about an hour of shop time to
get it installed (You could send it back to Garmin but it won't be
cheaper and it'll take longer). You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

--Rick
Old November 18th 05, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Rick Beebe wrote On 11/18/05 13:37,:
I'm also waiting on terrain.

Hey, isn't that out already (as of late last year, if I recall correctly)?
Or was that only for the 530?

Certified terrain (TAWS) is only available on the 530 and it's
expensive. Terrain "advisories" are available now for the 430 and 530.
It's coming standard on all new units (as of beginning of September). If
you bought a unit after June 1 the upgrade is free otherwise it's $500.
In either case you'll also need to pay for about an hour of shop time to
get it installed (You could send it back to Garmin but it won't be
cheaper and it'll take longer). You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

--Rick

Although certainly integration of TWAS into the 430/530 would be nice, the
Garmin upgrade is meant for turboprops that require it under FAA rules.
There is no advantage over having it in an add on unit, such as the
new Garmin portables. If you get a TWAS alert I doubt you are going to be
worried about if it is a TSO'ed, official warning while you pull up...

Old November 21st 05, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Rick Beebe wrote:

You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

I don't understand this (although I believe I've seen it mentioned before).
Why would the manual need updating in some cases but not others?

- Andrew

Old November 21st 05, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Rick Beebe wrote:

You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

I don't understand this (although I believe I've seen it mentioned before).
Why would the manual need updating in some cases but not others?

If we're talking about an upgrade from TSO C129 to TSO C146, I don't see how the
SPOH could avoid being updated. It's the SPOH that has the operating
limitations, and they will surely change.

Dave
Old November 21st 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Rick Beebe wrote:

You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

I don't understand this (although I believe I've seen it mentioned before).
Why would the manual need updating in some cases but not others?

As Garmin got close to releasing the terrain advisory feature they
started adding it into the manual. So if your manual doesn't have it, it
needs to be redone. My manual doesn't have it (and my 430 is getting
updated) and I haven't seen what the actual changes are yet. Probably a
silly paragraph that just says that terrain advisories are not to be
used for actual navigation.

--Rick
Old November 22nd 05, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Rick Beebe wrote On 11/21/05 13:59,:
Andrew Gideon wrote:

Rick Beebe wrote:

You may need a bit more shop time if
your flight manual supplement needs to be updated.

I don't understand this (although I believe I've seen it mentioned before).
Why would the manual need updating in some cases but not others?

As Garmin got close to releasing the terrain advisory feature they
started adding it into the manual. So if your manual doesn't have it, it
needs to be redone. My manual doesn't have it (and my 430 is getting
updated) and I haven't seen what the actual changes are yet. Probably a
silly paragraph that just says that terrain advisories are not to be
used for actual navigation.

--Rick

You must not rely on a terrain alert alone for navigation. If the terrian
collision alert is heard, this must be verified by one of the following:

1. Sighting of the ground approching at rapid velocity.

2. Tree branches hitting the airplane.

3. Screams of ground based person(s).

4. Wet sensation in undergarmets.

5. White light at end of long corridor.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Scott Moore wrote:
You must not rely on a terrain alert alone for navigation. If the terrian
collision alert is heard, this must be verified by one of the following:

1. Sighting of the ground approching at rapid velocity.

2. Tree branches hitting the airplane.

3. Screams of ground based person(s).

4. Wet sensation in undergarmets.

5. White light at end of long corridor.

Any less than three of these indicators could mean the Garmin has
malfunctioned and the terrain alert should be disabled until the unit
can be verified by authorized service personnel.

--Rick