Is everybody afraid of World Class?

Old August 21st 04, 07:30 AM
Chris Rollings

Jacek, do you have a commercial interest to declare
in the World Class?

At 20:18 20 August 2004, Jacek Kobiesa wrote:
I've been reading the articles about sailplanes in
Olympic Games, some
other postings about PW-5 and I came to conclusion
that most people
who are posting this articles are afraid of World Class
gliders. Why?
What is so difficult in understanding the concept of
the glider, the
cost of building it, its performance, etc. Most of
you bashing the
concept. Is this because your skill is so limited that
you need to
have a bird with max. L/D 10,000 (that is minimum)
and a best L/D
speed Mach 1? Anything which doesn't meet this cryteria
needs to be
rejected? You are bringing to this equation sailing
in Olympic Games
as a comparison? Some of you have never even seen,
and most of you
have never flown this glider. So, what is wrong with
this picture.
Maybe is time for some of you to take on golfing, for
example. I am
realy offended by some of the postings on group. You
are not beeing
constructive, you are distructive. To the sport primarly.
Do you
suppose that by promoting Discus and Ventus and who
know what else you
doing justice to this sport? What about those guys
or girls who don't
have $250,000 to waist on a new bird every summer?
Is this making them
less qualified or skilled pilots that those of you
bashing everything
around and flying supersonic, unlimited L/D gliders?
Before anyone of
you decide to bash something without having slightest
idea or concept
about what is going on in the small world of gliding,
you need to stop
and think about it. We all are saying that numbers
of glider pilots
are declining world wide. Do you know why? That is
because of buch of
arrogant glider pilots who are acting like the gods;
they know
everything, they have been everywhere, they've done
it all. Yet when
we go to the world contest results, we don't see those
names of the
people who are making this derogatory statements. If
you want to help
our sport, think first and then act accordingly. It
is only good for
all of the glider pilots worldwide.

Old August 21st 04, 10:15 AM
elZee

"Jacek Kobiesa" wrote in message
om...
I've been reading the articles about sailplanes in Olympic Games, some
other postings about PW-5 and I came to conclusion that most people
who are posting this articles are afraid of World Class gliders. Why?

Well it wouldn't surprise me if the Olympics looked past Gliders and go for Hang
Gliders!

Too much politics and BS in gliding .. go the hang gliders

IMHO elZee

Old August 21st 04, 12:46 PM
Udo Rumpf

Jacek, do you have a commercial interest to declare
in the World Class?

Even if he had one, it still would be a vocation.

Old August 21st 04, 01:19 PM
Pete Reinhart

Bob,
You hit the nail squarely on the head.
Cheers!

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
Earlier, Jacek Kobiesa wrote:

...I am realy offended by some of the postings on
group. You are not beeing constructive, you are
distructive. To the sport primarly...

You are welcome to rebut any expression that you find
offensive. You have the rhetoric, you have the dialectic,
you have the technology.

However, asserting that expressions of opinion that
run counter to your own are destructive to the community
flies in the face of the essential liberties of freedom
of thought and freedom of expression. I continue to
hold the opinion that there must be a free marketplace
for ideas, and that every idea deserves frank discussion
of its merits and liabilities. Should the Stemme S-10VT
be the next World Class glider? Or perhaps the Lockheed
TR-1? I don't think so, but I wouldn't mind having
it discussed.

Getting back to the original topic, having flown against
the PW-5 in handicapped regional competition, I very
much appreciate that it is a very capable little ship.
And you can see why when you look my name up in the
US contest results.

I personally regret the choice of the PW-5 as the World
Class glider, if only from an aesthetic standpoint.
I think that the world soaring community as a whole
would have been better served if there had been an
opportunity to select a sailplane that is more stylistically
and aesthetically similar to higher performance ships.

The short span and modest performance are OK by me.
The light weight is OK, too. But I think that the choice
of a glider that looks so completely unlike higher-performance
ships was unfortunate. I firmly believe that the World
Class would have a fighting chance if its participants
could park their ships next to the latest racing ships
and feel like theirs lies on the same continuum. Such
'baby racers' would have been a lot easier to promote
to potential WC racers as well as to the non-competition
soaring pilots.

I freely admit that such thinking speaks volumes about
human weakness and susceptibility to emotion. But even
the best soaring pilots are human. And even the most
logical person has to worry about what their less-logical
fellows think when it comes time to sell.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old August 21st 04, 02:28 PM
Pete

how about something in between like the Ariane swift?

http://www.ping.be/~ping4026/swift.htm

"

Old August 21st 04, 04:15 PM
Stewart Kissel

Too much politics and BS in gliding .. go the hang
gliders

IMHO elZee

Gee elZee,

R we talking about the same sport here...the one that
Davis Straub has a popular ezine for? And that ezine
has a full BS quota of politics? I gotta call u on
that statement, because I am the first to agree with
the first half of your statement. But if you think
hangliding/paragliding is BS and politics free...that
is the pot calling the kettle black

Best I can tell, the HG community consider PG's their
version of the PW5.

Old August 21st 04, 04:53 PM
G.Kurek

Jacek:
Poles won club class flying Jantar std.Bravo's this year, would it
be so much more expensive to start building Bravo for the same price
of Pw5? Only three Bravos where ever made and it was just proven what
a great glider it is, the guys managed to beat LS-4's,LS-7's,
Pegasuses, DG300's and whole bunch of other club class gliders. We
(Poland) where making better gliders 40+ years ago (SZD Foka), so why
are we going in circles?
If you can bring Bravo or Std.3 for the price of Pw5 it would be a
dream come true.