Oximeter's

Old November 23rd 05, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Oximeter's

Why Are Oximeter's So Expensive? I was thinking of adding one to my flight
bag but at over $200.00 I am giving it a second thought.

Old November 23rd 05, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.owning NW_PILOT wrote:
Why Are Oximeter's So Expensive? I was thinking of adding one to my flight
bag but at over $200.00 I am giving it a second thought.

You mean other than they aren't a mass marketed consumer item?

Good CO detectors aren't cheap either.

On the other hand, how much do you have invested in your training and
aircraft?

I'm constantly amazed by people that that don't blink at the cost of
a $100 hamburger but are reluctant to spend a similar amount on
an item that could alert them to a life threatening situtation, especially
since it will most likely be a once in a life time buy if you get a
good one.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old November 23rd 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I did an O2 system for much less than that. I got hold of an O2 system
that emphysema patients drag around behind them (all I wanted was the
tank adapter and flowmeter) traded the old empty cylinder in on a fresh
full one. Had a nurse friend of mine procure a couple of nasal cannulas
and I'm good to go.

I don't fly high enough to use it, I carried it with me on the
cross-the-pond trip just in case.

I'm going to try it at night sometime to see if the vision thing is
noticeable.

Robert

Longworth wrote:
Cecil,
If I am not mistaken, using oxygen at night at low altitude is
mainly to help with vision. We rarely fly at night except for night
currency at local airport and maybe at twilight or shortly after sunset
on long cross-country trips. The oximeter just tells you whether you
need oxygen or not. By itself it does not help with high altitude or
night flying except telling you that you'd better go lower or land ;-)
I'd think that putting the 200+dollars towards the purchase of oxygen
on board is a better idea. One person complete system sells for
something like $450. Emergency hand-held system selling for something
like $320.

Hai Longworth

Old November 23rd 05, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Steven,
Not too long ago, Turnermedical.com had a sale special for pilots at
$150. Their current price is $199 with free shipping. If you don't
need one right away, you can wait for a sale. I had thought of
ordering one but Rick did not think that it was necessary, He thought
that if we needed to fly at high altitude (over 10,000'), we would just
use oxygen

http://www.turnermedical.com/Finger_Oximeters.htm

or you can pay $189 also with free delivery here

http://www.medical-monitors.com/spo5500.html

Hai Longworth

Old November 23rd 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Unless, of course you are flying at night...

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman
CP-ASEL-IA

Student - C.F.I.

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
oups.com...

Old November 23rd 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Longworth wrote:
He thought that if we needed to fly at high altitude
(over 10,000'), we would just use oxygen

Nice thing about the pulse oximeters is that they tell you exactly how
much oxygen you need...
Old November 23rd 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Assuming that you don't have health issues that would make your
hemoglobin less saturated with oxygen at altitude than normal, and
assuming that you don't intend to challenge FARs pertaining to the use
of oxygen, what do you see as the value of carrying an oximeter?

Old November 23rd 05, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"RomeoMike" wrote in message
Assuming that you don't have health issues that would make your hemoglobin
less saturated with oxygen at altitude than normal, and assuming that you
don't intend to challenge FARs pertaining to the use of oxygen, what do
you see as the value of carrying an oximeter?

I can't speak for the original poster. However...

An oximeter provides useful information, even if you don't have specific
health issues, and aren't intending "to challenge FARs pertaining to the use
of oxygen" (whatever that means).

The FARs require the use of oxygen. They don't stipulate how much to use.
So, you can either rely on the calibration of your oxygen equipment, or you
can get some actual feedback on whether you are getting enough oxygen. The
latter (via an oximeter) may either show you that your own physiology
requires more O2 than normal or (more likely) that you can use less oxygen
than the likely conservative flow provided by the O2 equipment.

Beyond that very useful information, it also provides feedback regarding the
performance of your oxygen supply. It's one extra check on whether you are
getting enough oxygen, to help ensure that something doesn't go wrong
without the pilot knowing about it.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Oximeter's NW_PILOT Piloting 30 November 27th 05 12:45 AM
Low cost oximeter Eric Greenwell Soaring 8 October 22nd 05 12:48 AM