Yet more thoughts on Sports/club class

Old July 7th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Yet more thoughts on Sports/club class

I susspect that anything as obvious as the following has been thought of and
rejected for equally obvious reasons that I'm also not aware of.

Anyway, here goes....

Why not adjust turn area tasks so that turn area diameters are porportional
to a competitors handicap - i.e. small diameter turn areas for high
performance gliders and huge ones for low performance gliders? This would
force the high performance gliders to fly much farther than the low
performance ones to get credit for turnpoints. The idea is a sort of an
elastic "one size fits all" approach to task calling. Of course, this might
require complete rejiggering of an already complex scoring system.

Bill Daniels

Old July 7th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf

Why not adjust turn area tasks so that turn area diameters
are porportional
to a competitors handicap - i.e. small diameter turn
areas for high
performance gliders and huge ones for low performance
gliders? This would
force the high performance gliders to fly much farther
than the low
performance ones to get credit for turnpoints. The
idea is a sort of an
elastic 'one size fits all' approach to task calling.
Of course, this might
require complete rejiggering of an already complex
scoring system.

Bill Daniels

Hi Bill,
In theory this is done by selecting the average point
to point
distance around the handicap of 1.00 and choosing a
radius that
allows the low and high handicap gliders to finish
the task.
There is one problem I have noticed the powers to be
do not always take this under consideration.

Rarely is a club class pilot an advisor.

Also on rare occasion when the Weather dictates a change
in mid air and one is purvey to the chatter between
the two advisors and the contest director I have noted
that the effort is centred around the 15metere class
max distance and time.
Personally it does not effect me with my glider.
I am still one of those that holds the bottom 2/3 of
the score sheet up.

Old July 7th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM 303a

A modest proposal from a former PW5 driver--
Assign a penalty to the use of any thermal closer than 80% of the maximum
distance the ship could travel from the last thermal.

Old July 7th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:
I susspect that anything as obvious as the following has been thought of and
rejected for equally obvious reasons that I'm also not aware of.

Anyway, here goes....

Why not adjust turn area tasks so that turn area diameters are porportional
to a competitors handicap - i.e. small diameter turn areas for high
performance gliders and huge ones for low performance gliders? This would
force the high performance gliders to fly much farther than the low
performance ones to get credit for turnpoints. The idea is a sort of an
elastic "one size fits all" approach to task calling. Of course, this might
require complete rejiggering of an already complex scoring system.

Bill Daniels

Bill- The flaw in your logic is the assumption that we only fly to the
turn area and not beyond.
With cylinders now up to 30 mile radius there is plenty of flexibility
to cover the likely range of handicaps. The guide to the rules puts the
nominal task length at one doable for gliders in the mid range(ie "club
class"). With this guidance a task is set which should be doable by the
lower performance gliders but yet forces the higher performance gliders
to go farther to the outside of the cylinder. They have less choice of
where they can go than the lower performance gliders and are therefore
at a bit of a disadvantage.
The strategy for the lower performance guys is to cherry pick the best
parts and laugh at the saps in the high performance ships as they are
forced to fly out into the weaker weather. Dave Stevenson has been
doing this for years.
Cheers UH

SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Carrying flight gear on the airlines Peter MacPherson Piloting 20 November 25th 04 12:29 AM