Currency requirements for commercial glider pilot

Old August 13th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug LS4

Default Currency requirements for commercial glider pilot

Recent discussions at my small club have centered around the cuurency
requirements for commercial glider pilots. My understanding is that a
pilot may not carry passengers unless they have had three take offs and
landings within the previous ninety days in an aircraft of the same
category, class and type if a type rating is required. So, working
backwards, I'm not aware of any type ratings associated with gliders.
The same is true, as I understand it, of class. That leaves only
category.

So, I believe that if a pilot has three takeoff and landings in any
glider in the past ninety days then that pilot is current to carry
passengers. I'm not aware of any differences in currency requirements
for private pilots versus commercial pilots.

Some club members, more experienced than I, contend that commercial
pilots must have three take offs and landings in the specific model (in
our case, G103) to be used for the ride.

What sayeth RAS ?

I'm not afraid to be wrong, it's happened before! If I am wrong, what
are the CFR's that point out the errors of my ways?

thanks,
Doug

Old August 13th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Currency for Commercial rated pilots is the same as Private rated. May not
carry passengers without 3 take off and landings in the last 90 days.

61.57 (a) )1) General Experience, 3 take offs and 3 landings in the last 90
calendar days.
61.57(a)(1)(i) Was the sole manipulator of the controls
61.57(a)(1)(ii) Same Category, Class and Type.

Definitions for Category and Class refer in FAR1.1
Category is Airplane, Glider, Rotorcraft, Lighter than Air, etc.
Class would be Single Engine, Multi Engine, Balloon, Glider, etc/
Gliders do not have "Type"

So, 3 landings in the last 90 days in a "airplane" does not qualify for the
3 landings in a glider in the last 90 days. Still need to do that.

Limits to 3 landings (and takeoffs) in the last 90 days are the same for ANY
PILOT, unless they meet any of the exceptions listed in 61.57(e).

ps.com...

Old August 13th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

I can see where an insurance company may require a more stringent currency
requirement to specify Make and Model if the club maintains commercial
insurance for giving rides to the general public and accepting a fee.
Insurance companies often have higher requirements than the FARs.

"kirk.stant" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some club members, more experienced than I, contend that commercial
pilots must have three take offs and landings in the specific model (in
our case, G103) to be used for the ride.

FAR-wise, they are mistaken. Any glider will do (hmm, does that
include the space shuttle? - or any motorglider?).

Common sense-wise, not a bad idea if going from a 2-22 to an ASH-25, or
vice versa! As well as doing them from the same seat the rides will be
given from.

But this is RAS, so common sense is often the first casualty of
conversation....

Kirk
66

Old August 14th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Really now. It takes buckets of currency to be a glider pilot.
Possibly less for commercial pilots if they put up with pukers
in the front seat instead of flying nice sleek things.
What a silly question. Even for RAS.

Doug LS4 wrote:
Recent discussions at my small club have centered around the cuurency
requirements for commercial glider pilots.
... I'm not aware of any differences in currency requirements
for private pilots versus commercial pilots.

Lawsuit filed over AFA towpilot fatality Stewart Kissel Soaring 20 June 11th 17 02:58 PM
Stupid Question Crash Lander Piloting 35 July 23rd 06 02:39 AM
Can a Private Pilot tow gliders and get paid? zatatime Piloting 3 October 17th 04 01:35 AM