Translation of avec volets

Old September 6th 03, 10:59 PM
goneill

Default Translation of avec volets

I am looking at gliders for sale in france and babelfish translates "avec
volets" as "with shutters"
I presume it actually means "with extentions" can someone confirm or correct
me.

Old September 7th 03, 01:29 PM
Vorsanger1

"Avec volets" means "with flaps"

Cheers, Charles
Old September 8th 03, 04:25 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Stefan
writes
volets are flaps

Then the language has changed a bit. In 1958 they were spoilers.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old September 8th 03, 08:41 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:25:40 +0100, Mike Lindsay
wrote:

In article , Stefan
writes
volets are flaps

Then the language has changed a bit. In 1958 they were spoilers.

IIRC I think they can be any movable control surface. I'm pretty
certain I've seen the term used to refer to a rudder in that excellent
modelling periodical, Vol Libre.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old September 9th 03, 06:43 AM
Simon Waddell

I doubt it:

Volets = Flaps
Ailerons = Ailerons
Gouvernail = Rudder
Profondeur = Elevators
Aerofreins = Air brakes/Spoilers

and this for many, many years

Old September 10th 03, 01:42 PM
Simon Waddell

Must be a context thing. None of my French aerodynamics books for real
aircraft use the terms 'volet de derive' or 'volet commande'.

Trimtabs can be 'tab', 'flettner' or 'compensateur' and, for completeness,
slats are 'ailes a becs'.

These are terms that have been in use for years. Of course the Academie
Francaise has a hair up its nose about purifying the language of foreign
influences and have maybe invented some terms of their own; but if this is
the case, no real aviators use them.

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:43:40 +0200, "Simon Waddell"
wrote:

I doubt it:

Volets = Flaps
Ailerons = Ailerons
Gouvernail = Rudder
Profondeur = Elevators
Aerofreins = Air brakes/Spoilers

and this for many, many years

I've never seen 'gouvernail' used in Vol Libre, but the term I have
seen used several times is 'volet de derrive' or 'volet commande'.
These refer to a rudder used as a (multi-position) fixed stop trimming
device in a free flight model. Vol Libre is a French publication
edited and printed in Strasbourg. Does the context (model, free
flight) make a difference?

.. .

Old September 10th 03, 01:59 PM
Bert Willing

Simon's translations are correct. "Vol Libre" has not very much to do with
soaring or terminology used in soaring.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"