"certified' parts

Old March 16th 05, 12:49 PM

Jimmy B. wrote:
: It was kind of interesting because the same question came up in the
: seminar. Someone asked about a hand held GPS running on its own
: batteries. Then about a hand held running off of the cigarette lighter.
: Then about being Velcro mounted, Then bracket mounted. It was kind of
: funny.

See my previous rant about the rules sounding airtight.... until you try to
nail one down. Then you see that it's often open to interpretation.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 16th 05, 12:52 PM

: Now, before everyone flames me and tells me I'm an idiot, these are not
: my opinions, they are the opinions of the Safety Inspectors at
: Washington - Dulles FSDO.

: What do you mean by "safety inspectors." If you're talking about our
: Aviation safety counselors, they are idiots. Do not believe anything
: they say is correct or has any regulatory signfiicance with the FAA.

Exactly... an airplane is not made safe by its paperwork. Period.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 16th 05, 04:50 PM
Robert M. Gary

Yes. The FAA says they need to be there, so they lie in the truck of
my car. However, my point is that when you get your private pilots
certificate you learn things like you need 3 landings in 90 days to
carry passengers, etc. People need to make the same effort when they
purchase an airplane. I'm sorry, but there is just no excluse for
buying a part at Autozone and thinking the FAA would bless it. If
you're going to invest the time/money in buying an airplane, and you're
going to do some of the work yourself, you really need to take the time
to learn the FARs associated with it.

-Robert, CFI

Old March 16th 05, 04:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

If the FSDO charges you and you don't go along with their opinion, you
go before an administrative judge. Those procedures usually require you
be under oath. I'm sure you're an honest person and would only lie when
not under oath.

-Robert

Old March 16th 05, 06:06 PM
Mike Granby

I agree there's no excuse for buying something from AutoZone. Not
having the service manual with you when you change the oil is more
forgivable.

Old March 16th 05, 10:50 PM
Newps

Mike Granby wrote:
I agree there's no excuse for buying something from AutoZone.

Baloney. I get my landing lights from the Auto store. I hardwired my
GPS power cable and used a 1 amp fuse from Radio Shack. The list goes on.
Old March 17th 05, 12:54 AM
Robert M. Gary

So what, no one ever said anything about that. However, if you were to
do that and not KNOW that its not an FAA approved part you would be an
idiot. The point is that if anyone says "Oh, wow, auto store parts are
not approved!!" is just an idiot. As I said... "I'm sorry, but there is

Old March 17th 05, 01:48 AM
John Clonts

"Newps" wrote in message ...

Mike Granby wrote:
I agree there's no excuse for buying something from AutoZone.

Baloney. I get my landing lights from the Auto store. I hardwired my GPS power cable and used a 1 amp fuse
from Radio Shack. The list goes on.

Hey, can you tell me how to find out what auto bulb would substitute for a #4591 (24 volt 100w I believe)? I'm
sick of replacing $30 bulbs every 30 hours!

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old March 17th 05, 02:42 AM
George Patterson

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

If the FSDO charges you and you don't go along with their opinion, you
go before an administrative judge. Those procedures usually require you
be under oath. I'm sure you're an honest person and would only lie when
not under oath.

Now you've switched things around to a court. Yesterday the FSDO was putting me
under oath. Make up your mind. Ok, we're in court -- and I take the 5th. End of
discussion.

In any case, the regs state that the parts must be approved. There is no reg
that states that I must buy my approved parts from a vendor such as Aircraft
Spruce. If there is no reg, not even the FAA can charge me with violating it.
There is also no reg that states that I must tell the FAA where I bought my
parts.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 17th 05, 04:08 AM

George Patterson wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

[...]

Gee, i guess i'm really in trouble for buying aeroshell at Sams. I know
for sure that Sams is not an airplame company.
It looks like the same stuff that's at the airplane store.
Can't be approved for use in aircraft then.