Air Tour Virtual Meeting

Old February 23rd 04, 09:18 PM
Jim

Default Air Tour Virtual Meeting

I'm asking everyone in the group to please take the time to visit the FAA
site and post a comment or two on the proposed National Air Tour Safety
Standards Public Meeting.

I was just there and disappointed in the lack of comments.

http://www1.faa.gov/avr/arm/rulemaki...m.cfm?nav=part
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 25th 04, 02:18 AM
Teacherjh

Is that the camel's cold nose I feel slipping into
the tent?

No, the camel's nose slipped into the tent when they rewrote the "sharing
expenses" rule.

Jose

Old February 25th 04, 02:29 AM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
As I understand it, present Private Airman's Certificate holders will
lose the right to conduct sightseeing flights within 25 miles of the
departure airport.

What do you mean? Nothing about the new rule-making appears to affect
holders of Private certificates at all. Private pilots don't have any
specific allowance for making sightseeing flights within 25 miles of the
departure airport, though of course they can make a sightseeing flight of
arbitrary length as long as they are not taking money beyond those allowed
in the "sharing" rules.

What I don't get about this "town meeting" thing is what the point is. We
already had a way to provide comments through the docket web site, which I
did. Is the FAA not going to bother looking at those comments? How are
comments provided through the "town meeting" different, and why should I
bother adding anything there, given that I already provided my comments
through the usual channels previously?

Pete

Old February 25th 04, 01:49 PM

Peter Duniho wrote:

What I don't get about this "town meeting" thing is what the point is. We
already had a way to provide comments through the docket web site, which I
did. Is the FAA not going to bother looking at those comments? How are
comments provided through the "town meeting" different, and why should I
bother adding anything there, given that I already provided my comments
through the usual channels previously?

Pete

The FAA looks at comments, then kisses them off. The regulate by political
mandate. Comments from individual pilots are pretty much meaningless. You
can thank your Congress and a series of presidents for that. Since 911,
general aviation has lost what clout it had remaining from the days when the
public actually had a positive view of small aircraft.

Old February 25th 04, 01:54 PM
Jim

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
What do you mean? Nothing about the new rule-making appears to affect
holders of Private certificates at all.

The proposal would raise the minimum number of hours required for private
pilots conducting charity fundraising flights from 200 to 500

Private pilots don't have any
specific allowance for making sightseeing flights within 25 miles of the
departure airport, though of course they can make a sightseeing flight of
arbitrary length as long as they are not taking money beyond those allowed
in the "sharing" rules.

But Commercial pilots do. This rule would remove the exemption listed in
part 119 that allows commercial pilots to conduct 25nm sightseeing flights
without haveing to establish and meet the requirements of a part 119/135
operation.
a.. FAA estimates that the proposed rule could affect approximately 1,670
operators with 3,100 aircraft currently providing commercial air tour
flights under Part 91.
b.. The FAA estimates that about 700 Part 91 operators currently providing
sightseeing flights will elect to stop providing the service.
Jim Burns III

Old February 25th 04, 02:31 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:29:58 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .
As I understand it, present Private Airman's Certificate holders will
lose the right to conduct sightseeing flights within 25 miles of the
departure airport.

What do you mean? Nothing about the new rule-making appears to affect
holders of Private certificates at all.

You are correct. That should have been 'Commercial' certificate
holders.

Old February 25th 04, 04:11 PM
Barry

The FAA looks at comments, then kisses them off.

I think that's an unfair exaggeration. When Part 61 was revised a few years
ago, the FAA incorporated many of the comments that it received. A long
description of the comments and the FAA's responses is given in the final
rule, available at:

http://www.avweb.com/news/news/184485-1.html

Barry

Old February 25th 04, 04:55 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jim" wrote in message
The proposal would raise the minimum number of hours required for private
pilots conducting charity fundraising flights from 200 to 500

Okay, so there is one minor change. I'm not convinced that particular one
is a bad thing, frankly. I do stand corrected.

Private pilots don't have any
specific allowance for making sightseeing flights within 25 miles of the
departure airport [...]

But Commercial pilots do.

The comment to which I was responding stated a "right to conduct sightseeing
flights within 25 miles" for *Private* pilots. I'm well aware of the
Commercial privilege to that effect. But that's not what was said.

Pete