Don't park your glider in Jacksonville!

Old July 16th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

Default Don't park your glider in Jacksonville!

The below is stolen from a post on rec.aviation.homebuilt. I will soon be
illegal to park any aircraft in Jacksonville except in an enclosed building, and
it will be illegal to work on any aircraft in any residential area. Somebody in
power there hates aviation!

Vaughn

Introduced by Council Member Lake Ray and amended on the floor of the
council:

Ordinance 2006-543-e
An ordinance amending chapter 656 (zoning
code), part 4 (supplementary regulations),
subpart b (miscellaneous regulations),
ordinance code, establishing section 656.420
(parking, storage, construction and repair of flying craft
and airboats in residential districts, and
amending part 16 (definitions), section
656.1601 (definitions, ordinance code to
include a definition for flying craft;
providing an effective date.

Whereas, parking or storing flying craft and airboats in unenclosed
spaces, including a carport, is not an operation in keeping with the
character of a residential neighborhood, and
Whereas, repairing, testing, operating, constructing, modifying or
altering flying aircraft and airboats anywhere on a residential lot is
not an operation in keeping with the character of a residential
neighborhood, now thereof.

Be it ordained by the council of the city of Jacksonville:
Section 1. Creation of section 656.420, chapter 656 ordinance code.
Chapter 656 (zoning code), part 4 (supplementary regulations),
ordinance code is amended to create a new section 656.420 (parking,
storage, repair and operation flying craft and airboats in residential
districts) to read as follows:

Chapter 656 zoning code

***
Part 4. Supplementary Regulations

Subpart A. Performance standards and development criteria

***
Sec. 656.420. Parking, storage, repair and operation of flying craft
and airboats in residential districts.

(a) Flying craft and airboats shall not be parked or stored, other
than in completely enclosed buildings, on residentially-zoned property,
including residential PUD districts and properties with a residential
component in a mixed-use PUD district. Airboats may however, be parked
or stored in the water adjacent to, on docking facilities of, or in a
yard fronting a navigable waterbody of, a residential PUD district and
a property in the residential portion of a mixed-use PUD district.

(b) Repairing, testing, operation, constructing, modifying or altering
flying craft and airboats shall be prohibited in all residential
districts, including residential PUD districts and properties with a
residential component in a mixed-use PUD district.

Section 2. Amendment to section 656.1601, Ordinance Code.

Section 656.1601, Ordinance Code, is hereby amended as follows:

Chapter 656 zoning code

***

Part 16. definitions

Sec.656.1601. Definitions.

***

(this does not apply to the aviation issue)Floor area means, except as
specifically indicated in relation to particular districts and uses,
the sum of the gross horizontal area of several floors of a building
measured from the exterior faces of the exterior wall or from the
centerline of the walls separating two buildings, excluding attic areas
with a headroom of less than seven feet, unenclosed stairs or fire
escapes, elevator structures, cooling towers, areas devoted to air
conditioning, ventilating, heating or other building machinery and
equipment, parking structures and basements space where the ceiling is
not more than an average of 48 inches above the general finished and
grade level of the adjacent portion of the lot.

(this does apply to the aviation issue)Flying craft means any vehicle
designed for navigation in the air or through outer space, including
but not limited to airplanes, helicopters and hot air balloons.

***

Section 3. Effective Date. This ordinance shall become effective upon
signature by the mayor or upon becoming effective without the mayor's
signature.
Form approved:

/a/ Dylan T. Reingold

Office of General Counsel
Legislation Prepared by: Dylan Reingold

--
Will poofread for food.

Old July 16th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

if they are going to do this.. then they need to address all recreational
vehicles.. RVs, Boats, Sailboats, Dirt Bikes (not licensed for on road
use)...

other wise the ACLU will have a field day with this ordnance, as it targets
a specific vocation.

It says I can't park in the open.. makes sense.. the trailer is fully
enclosed.. can I have dirt bikes stored on my lot in an open trailer? then I
can park my glider on my lot on an open trailer..

I can also work on my car in my garage? then I can work on my airboat motor
or dirt bike in my garage.. but I can understand the restrictions against
aircraft or boat engine runs in a residential community.. it could get
rather loud.

BT

news

Old July 24th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

Response to:

"if they are going to do this.. then they need to address all recreational
vehicles.. RVs, Boats, Sailboats, Dirt Bikes (not licensed for on road
use)...
other wise the ACLU will have a field day with this ordnance, as it targets
a specific vocation."

No. They can be specific and just ban certain things - unless there is a
general provision elsewhere. This is done all the time.

The ACLU has nothing to do with this. This is not a civil rights issue.
There is no constitutional protection.

The thing to do is to stir up those people affected, such as homebuilders,
and go to the city council meeting and raise hell.

Just because it is stupid does not mean it will not be made into law.

Colin

Old July 24th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Vaughn Simon wrote:
The below is stolen from a post on rec.aviation.homebuilt. I will soon be
illegal to park any aircraft in Jacksonville except in an enclosed building, and
it will be illegal to work on any aircraft in any residential area. Somebody in
power there hates aviation!

Vaughn

[snip copy of proposed ordinance]

Laws like this don't come out of nowhere; they are enacted to fix
perceived problems. Have the local homebuilders been ****ing people off
by testing their engines in driveways, or what?

Johan Larson

Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM