auxiliary heat

Old October 19th 04, 03:58 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , zatatime
writes:

These things work great, just make sure they're on the outside of your
socks.

I used 'em a bunch flying Cubs in the winter. For some reason if your
feet are warm your whole body feels a bit warmer.

Boy Scouts say, "if your feet are cold, put on a hat."

Much of your heat loss is via the head, so don't forget the hat in winter.

Chuck
Old October 19th 04, 04:11 PM
Joe Dubner

Do Long-EZs not have *any* heat? Does having the engine behind you
preclude using hot air off the exhaust for cabin heat?

Like any homebuilt, it has whatever heating system the builder opts for
g.

In the Long (and other EZs), this ranges from nothing at all, to a
exhaust heat muff and a long duct forward, to a forward mounted oil
cooler used as a cabin heat exchanger. One local has a 28V/350W quartz
heater.

I had a exhaust heat muff system but found it so ineffective that I
removed it and used the duct for a wiring conduit. On a sunny day, the
solar heat gain is enough to keep me comfortable in sweatshirt and jeans
except for me feet (hence the heated socks) and my stick hand.

When I flew a Piper Apache my feet were always cold too in spite of that
expensive (to operate and to repair) gas-burning heater. Wish I had
known of the electric socks then. As a bonus, I'd probably be a lot
smarter today, not having inhaled so much carbon monoxide :-)

--
Joe
Long-EZ 821RP

On 19-Oct-04 06:36 Jay Honeck wrote:

That's the theory I used when I wired in some Gerbing's electrically
heated socks for my Long-EZ.

Hmm. This is something I'd not considered before, never having seriously
considered a homebuilt plane.

Old October 19th 04, 04:12 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Jay Honeck asked:

Do Long-EZs not have *any* heat?

While there is a heating system design for the LE, many folks don't
install it, and when they do, it works with varying degrees of success.
Some folks are toasty, and other freeze, even with the heat.

.....Does having the engine behind you
preclude using hot air off the exhaust for cabin heat?

Not at all. My COZY MKIV (basically a 4-seat L.E.) uses an exhaust muff
on the right side pipes to run heated air through a duct up to my feet
area. The first winter I flew, this system would maintain a 20 degree F
temperature difference between outside and inside. After mucho
weathersealing, the second winter I could maintain a 30 degree F
difference. This coming winter, after more sealing, I'm hoping to get a
35-40 degree delta between outside and inside.

If the sun's out, the large canopy adds another 10-20 degrees to
interior temps, too.

With long underwear and gloves, I'm good down to about 20 F. Below
that, I don't like going out to the airport and firing up anyway - I'm
tied down outside, and it's a pain to preheat.

You've got to remember - the L.E. was designed by a guy that lives in
Mojave, CA, and the COZY by a guy that lives in Phoenix, AZ. Neither of
them care a lot about heat :-).

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

Old October 19th 04, 04:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Joe Dubner wrote:

I think the stick's control grip is
"sucking the heat" out of my hand so I'm looking at a Rube Goldbergesque
scheme to put a small power resistor into the stick.

I bought a pair of deerskin gloves. They work very well at keeping my hands warm
without being bulky.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 20th 04, 09:08 PM
Kyler Laird

Joe Dubner writes:

I think the stick's control grip is
"sucking the heat" out of my hand so I'm looking at a Rube Goldbergesque
scheme to put a small power resistor into the stick.

or...
http://www.hotgrips.com/styles.html

--kyler

Any metallurgist's on the group, I want to heat treat aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 3 December 11th 04 11:50 AM
Carb heat specs? Rich S. Home Built 2 November 13th 04 04:39 PM
Painting and air cooled motor? CitizenX Home Built 5 June 30th 04 12:47 PM
Inside the Cowling Fire / Heat Detector? George Sconyers Owning 5 May 30th 04 07:04 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 01:51 AM