Shooting an approach

Old November 29th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Shooting an approach

Never mind Bob.
It is still a good book.
Good value for money and easy to understand.
We have different airspace and authorities here,
but one can still draw a lot of valuable informations from your book.

Regards,

Henning Dammann-Emden
Bremen/Germany

"Bob Gardner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
My bad. I'll provide an explanation in the next edition.

Bob Gardner

"Henning DE" wrote in message
Hello !
I am currently reading a book about IFR flying.
"The complete advanced pilot" by Bob Gardner.
In the book, i came across the term
"to shoot an aproach"

What does that mean ?
Can anybody please explain ?

keep the greasy side down,

Henning Dammann-Emden
Bremen/Germany

Old November 29th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Henning Dammann-Emden asked what "shoot an approach" means and John Smith
answered, "Possible origin is the Instrument Landing System. When flown
correctly the vertical and horizontal guidance indicators are centered in
the face of the display. These crossed indicators have the appearance of the
crosshairs of a telescopic sight. Hence, you shoot the approach. Keeping the
crosshairs centered generally assures that you will hit what you are aiming
for... the runway."

Good explanation, John! I've heard the expression for years and always
wondered about its origin, but never thought to ask.

Thanks,

Jon

Old November 29th 05, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jed had Granny cook the billyard eggs.

wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| It is just a phrase. It means fly an approach. I
always
| think that if you shoot and approach you should also
clean

Old November 29th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Really do shoot groundhogs with a rifle. But shooting the
bull is talking.

some support

the **** with
| some good friends?
|
| It's very similar to shooting groundhogs.
|

| -m
| --
| ## Mark T. Dame
| ## VP, Product Development
| ## MFM Software, Inc. (http://www.mfm.com/)
| "This message represents the official view of the voices
in my head"

Old November 29th 05, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Henning DE wrote:
Hi Henning,

Yes, an approach is an IFR procedure for descending to within a few
hundred feet of the runway, so that a landing can be made visually.

To "shoot" an approach is to perform the approach procedure.

But you only do it when it's in season.

Matt B.
--
"The Pessimist complains about the wind,
the Optimist hopes it will change,

Old November 29th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"three-eight-hotel" wrote in message
ps.com...
How about sitting around on a Sunday BBQ and shooting the **** with
some good friends?

"Some people say "shoot", but you can't fool me; 'Shoot' is "****" with two
O's" - George Carlin

Matt B.
--
POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as

Old November 30th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Etymology of "shooting an approach".
Fighter pilots might shoot up a column, shoot at a tank, shoot an enemy
airplane... or
shoot an approach.

Old December 1st 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Possible origin is the Instrument Landing System.
When flown correctly the vertical and horizontal guidance indicators are
centered in the face of the display. These crossed indicators have the
appearance of the crosshairs of a telescopic sight.
Hence, you shoot the approach. Keeping the crosshairs centered generally
assures that you will hit what you are aiming for... the runway.

Hmmm...I always thought that when you guide an object in some way down a
narrow corridor of space to a specific place to attain a goal or objective
that that was "shooting". i.e. shooting pool, shooting some hoops, shoot a
goal in hockey. Now, I just wonder why they don't call it "Shooting a
strike" (in bowling).

Kobra

Old December 1st 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 12/1/2005 13:49, Kobra wrote:

Possible origin is the Instrument Landing System.
When flown correctly the vertical and horizontal guidance indicators are
centered in the face of the display. These crossed indicators have the
appearance of the crosshairs of a telescopic sight.
Hence, you shoot the approach. Keeping the crosshairs centered generally
assures that you will hit what you are aiming for... the runway.

Hmmm...I always thought that when you guide an object in some way down a
narrow corridor of space to a specific place to attain a goal or objective
that that was "shooting". i.e. shooting pool, shooting some hoops, shoot a
goal in hockey. Now, I just wonder why they don't call it "Shooting a
strike" (in bowling).

Perhaps because most people don't really guide it? ;-)

Kobra

Sacramento, CA
Old December 1st 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

You roll a strike.