Avoiding gliders

Old August 4th 03, 02:55 PM
Todd Pattist

"Gene Seibel" wrote:

A question - Can glider pilots hear powered aircraft in the area, or
does the slipstream mask the sound?

Yes, you can hear powered aircraft, but only when it's
pretty close. Nothing gets my heart thumping faster than
hearing a prop getting louder and louder and being unable to
spot the aircraft. If you turn, you are more visible, and
may be able to see the approaching aircraft, but turning
also presents a much larger impact cross section and may
turn you directly into the path of the oncoming aircraft.
..
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.
Old August 4th 03, 04:43 PM
Todd Pattist

"Maule Driver" wrote:

I used to fly in that area including a few times at Solberg.
Though it is possible to cloud fly with such equipment, I
never heard a NJ glider pilot talk about it around the keg.

NJ is pretty active for gliders. There's a circular race
course surrounding Allentown, NJ and another from
Blairstown (Del. Water Gap) to Wurtsboro/Middletown NY. On
any good weekend there will be 6-12 gliders racing on those
courses.

I would still suggest that flying above cloud base is an effective way to
avoid glider activity here in the states.

I agree. The majority of time gliders will be within 2500'
below the cumulus clouds or close to a marked gliderport
(U.S. sectional). The exception is on strong windy days,
when they may climb in front of the clouds, or find a wave.
Old August 4th 03, 05:59 PM
Maule Driver

I was really glad to hear that the weekend racing has caught on. Some years
ago, I took a shot at it by organizing the "Task du Jour" out of
Blairstown. I think Eric ____ ran with the idea for awhile. Sounds like a
very successful program is running now.

If I was NJ, I'd probably still be flying gliders. A great flying
community.

Old August 5th 03, 01:55 AM
JerryK

Here in the western US, there are tons of gliders getting ridge lift in the
late afternoons. They go darn high also. Someone told me up to FL300.

Last week we were saw a ton of them coming into Minden, NV.

Old August 5th 03, 02:01 AM
BTIZ

if you can hear it... it has already passed.. or so close that avoidance can
not happen, to late to hear, look, react

BT

arthlink.net...
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"Stefan" "stefan"@mus. INVALID .ch wrote in message
Frode Berg wrote:

What are good ways to avoid the gliders?
Do they have some sort of good/excellent lookout techniques, or

are they
just flying around having a good time?

Of course we are having a good time flying around, after all, that's

the
whole point of soaring!

More to the point: Second, no, glider pilots don't have a special
lookout technique, other than being paranoid and knowing how poorly
visible we are. I'm pretty sure the glider you passed has seen you

long
before. (Of course you shouldn't bet your life at it. Besides,

gliders
have the right of way.) The only thechnique that works is look,

look,
look. Glider pilot students learn very early to forget about cockpit
instruments, to fly by horizon and butt and to permanently look out,
look out, look out. That's the whole trick.

But first and most important: Try to avoid regions where dense

glider
traffic is to be expected. Flying through southeastern Germany at

FL55
when there is some thermal activity is a very bad idea. This is one

of
the most densly populated areas, gliderwise, and FL55 is more or

less
the most active altitude band. Your best bet is to climb into

airspace
C, but you don't always want to do so. Try to think like a glider

pilot.
Try to know the most popular glider areas and avoid them. Try to
recognize thermals. Be aware that if you see a glider, the

probability
is high that there are others in the vicinity you don't see, one

glider
seldom flies alone. If you see a glider gaggle, make a big tour

around
it. There are always more gliders in the air than you will see.

Stefan

Old August 5th 03, 05:47 PM
Maule Driver

What you are referring to is wave lift or lee mountain wave. While it can
be found in various locations around the US it is not that common because it
generally takes 1) a mountain and 2) specific wind conditions. (Ridge lift
is also generated by a mountain or ridgle line and a perpindicular wind but
the best ridge lift is found at tree top heights. Very little conflict with
most power traffic most of the time.)

I've flown Minden. They have exceptional wave conditions - some of the best
in the US. When gliders go into Class A, they need a clearance (wave
window) so there is separation services for IFR traffic. Thermal conditions
in the Sierras frequently reach the 15 - 18 thousand foot levels and wave
conditions easily reach those heights and above. So while flying above the
lift will still work, it's not real practical for most light a/c. Clear
skies enable see and avoid and the advice to stay away from the bases of
large Cu still applies.

I don't have a lot of time in the Sierras but there is a bit of natural
separation that tends to take place. Below mountain top heights, the
gliders tend to fly up against and directly over the mountain peaks (best
lift). The power traffic tends towards the valleys and passes. Power
traffic is usually trying to avoid the 'turbulence' that gliders are seeking
out. Gotta look out for dyed in the wool glider guys in powered a/c who
can't stand to pass up all those energy sources..