Real certificates!

Old August 1st 03, 09:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Will they replace all your certificates at once?

I dunno, Robert. I only have one, so I didn't ask them.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 2nd 03, 03:18 PM
Kyler Laird

Larry Dighera writes:

If the card-sized certificates had a photograph and magnetic stripe
also, I might believe the FAA had become aware that we are truly
living in the 21st century. :-)

That would also make me believe that they were making the certificate
into something it isn't.

What's next? Do you want your medical to have a picture of your
colon?

--kyler
Old August 3rd 03, 08:54 PM
Peter Duniho

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
Yeah, the previous certificate looked like it was printed with a cheap
quality 9-pin dot matrix printer

Must've been awhile since you got a certificate. For awhile now, they've
looked like they were printed with a cheap laser printer. I never saw a
dot-matrix printer look so good.

Old August 4th 03, 02:51 AM
Martin

As long as you all are going to get replacement certs, consider this:
I'm sending in the form for changing my cert# (as they all have been
issued as SSNs but now they realize thats a bad idea; they wont change
it to a random # unless you ask).
I figure if they need to send me a new certificate with the new number
on it, theyre going to send the new kind. Kill two birds with one
stone.

http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp#C...tificateNumber

From there you can print out a form to mail in authorizing the change
of cert#
Old August 4th 03, 02:55 AM
Martin

One other thing about getting a new cert via change of cert#: its free
(rather than the $2 the FAA wants for lost/replacement certs)
Old August 4th 03, 04:51 AM
Squirrel

Larry Dighera wrote in message . ..
If the card-sized certificates had a photograph and magnetic stripe
also, I might believe the FAA had become aware that we are truly
living in the 21st century. :-)

And what purpose would this serve?

As it stands now, the paper certificate serves its purpose;
pronouncing that the named individual has the named privileges and
ratings. Adding pictures, being on composite material, and using a
magnetic stripe won't add any value. The certificate is not meant to
serve as identification.

I like the cardboard certificate's utilitarian purpose.

SM
Old August 4th 03, 05:35 AM
Grumman-581

"Squirrel" wrote ...
I like the cardboard certificate's utilitarian purpose.

It doesn't survive the washer all that well though... I welcome the plastic
ones...

Old August 4th 03, 06:25 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
"The new credit card-sized certificates are made from high-quality

composite
PVC media card stock and incorporate new security features, such as a
hologram of the FAA seal. --

Whoo Hoo!!! Sure glad about that,,, now they don't have to worry about
someone counterfeiting the FAA seal.... (was this really a problem?) :-/

Are you going to order a replacement? I might if I knew that you were! :-)

--
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

http://www2.faa.gov/index.cfm/apa/1062?id=1762

Old August 4th 03, 06:30 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

The original date of issue cannot be placed on a replacement certificate.
Expired certificates cannot be issued; however, an expired CFI letter can be
requested at no charge.

Not a BIG deal,,, but I would kind of like having the original date on it...
But then again, when I eventually get my instrument rating they will
probably issue a new certificate with the date that I upgraded the
certificate... right????

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
"The new credit card-sized certificates are made from high-quality

composite
PVC media card stock and incorporate new security features, such as a
hologram of the FAA seal. They will replace the existing paper airman
certificates which can be easily damaged."

http://www2.faa.gov/index.cfm/apa/1062?id=1762