Landing Light SOP

Old October 29th 05, 04:50 PM
kristoffer-m20j kristoffer-m20j is offline
Junior Member

Default Landing Light SOP

When ever possible I try to follow the same SOP as the BIG BOYS. With that being said what is the SOP for airliners when it comes to turning on the landing light. Is it altitude based, distance etc...

Kristoffer
1993 M20J MSE
http://homepage.mac.com/kristofferp/flying
Old October 29th 05, 06:01 PM
Tony

Except, NEVER in the clouds at night!

From another M20J driver. BTW, have you noticed in a group of pilots

it's easy to tell Mooney pilots? We're the ones with the big grins. In
the early 70s, when we flew Rangers, we were the ones with will
developed right arms (if you didn't drop the nose a little at the right
time getting the manual gear up was worse than a one armed pullup).

Old October 29th 05, 06:23 PM
Jose

Except, NEVER in the clouds at night!

Why? It's not a bad way to know you're actually =in= the clouds, and
not between layers or something.

Jose
Old October 29th 05, 06:46 PM

On 29 Oct 2005 10:09:54 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

When ever possible I try to follow the same SOP as the BIG BOYS. With
that being said what is the SOP for airliners when it comes to turning
on the landing light. Is it altitude based, distance etc...

I don't know what's standard for airline pilots, but I was taught to
turn on the landing light(s) during my pre-landing check-list, which
takes place when I'm ten miles out.

I was taught (in the USA) to use the landing light whenever in the
vicinity of an airport, which is not to much different to the above.
That includes take-off as there's often traffic on a reciprocal
heading.

The UK has Flight Information Service which gives information, often
without radar. If there's any chance of conflict I use the landing
light as an extra precaution, that's in addition to strobes which are
always on.
Old October 29th 05, 07:04 PM
Jay Honeck

I was taught (in the USA) to use the landing light whenever in the
vicinity of an airport, which is not to much different to the above.
That includes take-off as there's often traffic on a reciprocal
heading.

Interesting. I've never used my landing light on departure, except
near major airshows (OSH, Sun N Fun) where it's often requested.

Do others here do so?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 29th 05, 07:11 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
I was taught (in the USA) to use the landing light whenever in the
vicinity of an airport, which is not to much different to the above.
That includes take-off as there's often traffic on a reciprocal
heading.

Interesting. I've never used my landing light on departure, except
near major airshows (OSH, Sun N Fun) where it's often requested.

Do others here do so?

Only at night. :-)

Matt
Old October 29th 05, 07:27 PM
Bob Gardner

AIM 4-3-23:

"c. The FAA has a voluntary pilot safety program, Operation Lights On, to
enhance the see-and-avoid concept. Pilots are encouraged to turn on their
landing lights during takeoff; i.e., either after takeoff clearance has been
received or when beginning takeoff roll. Pilots are further encouraged to
turn on their landing lights when operating below 10,000 feet, day or night,
especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions
of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected,
i.e., coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps, etc. Although turning
on aircraft lights does enhance the see-and-avoid concept, pilots should not
become complacent about keeping a sharp lookout for other aircraft. Not all
aircraft are equipped with lights and some pilots may not have their lights
turned on. Aircraft manufacturer's recommendations for operation of landing
lights and electrical systems should be observed."

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 07:48 PM
Private

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was taught (in the USA) to use the landing light whenever in the
vicinity of an airport, which is not to much different to the above.
That includes take-off as there's often traffic on a reciprocal
heading.

Interesting. I've never used my landing light on departure, except
near major airshows (OSH, Sun N Fun) where it's often requested.

Do others here do so?
--

I have always thought that the SOP depended on who owned (or paid to
replace) the light bulb. Owners use as little as possible, renters = light

Happy landings,

Happy landings,

Old October 29th 05, 07:51 PM
Jay Honeck

"c. The FAA has a voluntary pilot safety program, Operation Lights On, to
enhance the see-and-avoid concept.

SNIP

Thanks, Bob.

I wonder, though -- do landing lights in the daytime really do that
much for you? I seem to recall reading that bright lights coming at
you during daylight hours actually tends to camouflage what is behind
them.

(Groping back into the distant recesses of my history minor here...)
Didn't the British actually experiment with using extremely bright
lights to hide their aircraft during the day?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 29th 05, 08:01 PM
Tony

..

Close to min decent or decision height or whereever you are you'll be
including a look out the windscreen as part of your scan. Look into a
well light cloud and your scan will have a hard time getting back on
instruments. Trust me on this one, you don't want to find out for
yourself.
..