IFR Alternate Requirement

Old May 13th 05, 08:14 PM
Antoņio

gregscheetah wrote:
Why are you trying to get out of filing an alternate? Is there some
reason that this is difficult to do for you?

I would suggest that you always file an alternate and forget about
having to memorize when, where, why and how. Much easier and
eventually may save you some confusing during a time of quick decision
making.

Greg

I can see a couple reasons why one would not wish to file an alternate.
If I recall correctly, you must have enough fuel to fly to the alternate
and then 45 minutes beyond. If the alternate is say, 30 minutes away,
that would require an extra hour and 15 minutes of fuel. This could
affect weight and balance calculations and maybe the necessity to plan
an extra fuel stop.

Antonio

Old May 13th 05, 08:29 PM
MJC

"Antoņio" wrote in message
gregscheetah wrote:
Why are you trying to get out of filing an alternate? Is there some
reason that this is difficult to do for you?

I would suggest that you always file an alternate and forget about
having to memorize when, where, why and how. Much easier and
eventually may save you some confusing during a time of quick decision
making.

Greg

I can see a couple reasons why one would not wish to file an alternate.
If I recall correctly, you must have enough fuel to fly to the alternate
and then 45 minutes beyond. If the alternate is say, 30 minutes away,
that would require an extra hour and 15 minutes of fuel. This could
affect weight and balance calculations and maybe the necessity to plan
an extra fuel stop.

Antonio

Your plan, then, if you can't make your intended destination if you couldn't
even make your best alternate (that you don't want to file for)?

MJC

Old May 14th 05, 02:05 AM
Antoņio

MJC wrote:

Your plan, then, if you can't make your intended destination if you couldn't
even make your best alternate (that you don't want to file for)?

MJC

A few theoretical answers...

1. You might be able to make an alternate that would not qualify,
strictly speaking, under the rules as an alternate...say a private turf
airport 1 mile away from the intended destination. To file an alternate
that *would* qualify would require extra fuel that may not be desirable
or even necessary.

2. It might be CAVU everywhere in the world and you do not see the point
to filing an alternate that would require carrying the extra fuel and
doing the extra planning.

3.I might file an alternate, then decide to use some other alternate
which wasn't planned for. However, the fuel requirements to get to the
filed alternate and 45 minutes beyond would still be in effect.

4.I might be in a helicopter and not realistically need an alternate.

5.I might be in a float plane and use some known lake as a backup.

I hope you realize that all the above is just theoretical with a partial
tongue in cheek. Personally, I always file a legal alternate. I just
thought there might be situations where, for whatever reason, one might
not wish to.

Antonio

Old May 14th 05, 10:02 PM
Stan Gosnell

Antoņio wrote in
:

4.I might be in a helicopter and not realistically need an alternate.

Helicopters have the same alternate requirements as fixed-wing, except
that they only require fuel for 30 minutes after the alternate. Lack of
range does mean that a helicopter pilot has to plan very carefully,
though.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old May 18th 05, 01:56 AM
Gene Whitt

Y'All,
Would appreciate comments and suggestions for additions and/or
changes in this collection of ideas before I put it up on my site.

Gene

Alternate Alternatives
---Alternate required for any ceiling below 2000 and below 3-miles

---Not required if one hour each side of ETA weather is 2000 AGL and 3
statute miles visibility
---You do not have to fly to your legal alternate if you can find a safer
option
---Plan to land with your 45-minute required fuel reserve otherwise you can
be busted
---Having fuel extends the options available, maxim range flights non-stop
reduce your options
---Your alternate selection is based on pre-flight weather forecasts, void
once in flight
---Your alternate selection is also based on airport restrictions for
selection
---A pilot should have an alternate plan for any situation that can occur
---Filing to a non-instrument airport requires an alternate regardless

---Regardless of forecasts suggest that you fly only into improving
conditions
---Monitor AWOS and ATIS frequencies en route for current changes in
conditions
---Primary concern should be with weather as forecast one hour each side of
the ETA
---Your fuel for planned direct to alternate may not fit into using ATC IFR
route
---Never, never rely on fuel gauges as to available fuel, fly by time in
tanks
---Standard alternate minimums of 2 miles and 600/800 are minimums
---You can never have too much fuel unless you are on fire

---Advise ATC on completing or canceling flight when non-towered airport

Old May 18th 05, 12:30 PM
Ron Natalie

Gene Whitt wrote:

---You do not have to fly to your legal alternate if you can find a safer
option

....you don't have to fly to it at all. The designation of the alternate
is purely a preflight planning/fuel reserve issue. Further ATC has no
clue what your alternate is.

---Plan to land with your 45-minute required fuel reserve otherwise you can
be busted

Only if you departed without sufficient fuel to hit the desination, the
alternate, and then 45 minutes. It's not illegal to consume your
reserve (inadvisable perhaps, but not illegal).

---Having fuel extends the options available, maxim range flights non-stop
reduce your options
---Your alternate selection is based on pre-flight weather forecasts, void
once in flight

And any forecast, "temporary" or "chance" in the forecast must be
counted as a likely event and drive the selection.

---Never, never rely on fuel gauges as to available fuel, fly by time in
tanks

Always take the more pessimistic view of the guages and your watch.
I've had two friends put down off-field because they had higher than
expected fuel burns (in one case a mechanical failure was found, in the
other, I don't think he'll ever know why the fuel didn't last).
Old May 18th 05, 12:47 PM
Roy Smith

Ron Natalie wrote:
---Never, never rely on fuel gauges as to available fuel, fly by time in
tanks

Always take the more pessimistic view of the guages and your watch.
I've had two friends put down off-field because they had higher than
expected fuel burns (in one case a mechanical failure was found, in the
other, I don't think he'll ever know why the fuel didn't last).

My club has been putting fuel computers into our planes. It's basicly just
an accurate flow meter spliced into the fuel line going to the engine. You
tell it how much you started out with, and it tells you instantaneous flow
rate and how much you've used (or got left). A wonderful tool.

The idea that a watch and a predicted flow rate is your most accurate way
of determining how much fuel you have left is absurd. The only thing
that's more absurd is that GA fuel quantity gauges are so inaccurate that
the watch and predicted flow rate actually is the best way, or at least was
until fuel computers became available.
Old May 18th 05, 02:26 PM
Dave Butler

Roy Smith wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote:

---Never, never rely on fuel gauges as to available fuel, fly by time in
tanks

Always take the more pessimistic view of the guages and your watch.
I've had two friends put down off-field because they had higher than
expected fuel burns (in one case a mechanical failure was found, in the
other, I don't think he'll ever know why the fuel didn't last).

My club has been putting fuel computers into our planes. It's basicly just
an accurate flow meter spliced into the fuel line going to the engine. You
tell it how much you started out with, and it tells you instantaneous flow
rate and how much you've used (or got left). A wonderful tool.

Agree these are wonderful tools. Don't forget they only measure the flow rate
that goes through the flowmeter. A leaking gas cap, for example, can not be
detected by watching your flowmeter. Not implying that you didn't already know
that, of course.

The idea that a watch and a predicted flow rate is your most accurate way
of determining how much fuel you have left is absurd. The only thing
that's more absurd is that GA fuel quantity gauges are so inaccurate that
the watch and predicted flow rate actually is the best way, or at least was
until fuel computers became available.

Experience in the individual airplane or at least in make and model can improve
your ability to predict, but only if you keep records of fuel use. When I
started keeping records, I realized how far off I was in my earlier fuel use
predictions.