Experimental Russian jet

Old September 30th 03, 06:19 AM
Legal Tender

Your right it was called a Yak-19. I never saw it in the Mig form..
Thanks again...
Frank

"Frank May" wrote in message
Both Aurora & Lindberg made fictitious Soviet '50s era jets. They were
called a "MiG-19" & another version was maybe called a Yak- something,
maybe 19. Both were similar in layout, & shared design features of the
Ta-183. They show up on eBay from time to time.

Old September 30th 03, 06:21 AM
Legal Tender

Will do, but in this case the question wasn't about a model per sa. It was
about a A/C I was trying to get info on. I just didn't realize it was a non
existent jet...
Frank

"Tex Houston" wrote in message
When you have model questions another resource is rec.models.scale . They
are also very good.

Tex

"Legal Tender" wrote in message
Wow you guys are good. Yep thats the jet. Mine was Bright Green and big

red
stars on it.
The model on page 12 of the 68 catalog shows the right jet, but in

silver
with the name Mig. I'm still pretty sure that back in the 50's when it

was
green it was listed as a Yak
So that jet never existed. Again thanks guys..
I was going nuts trying to figure out why I could never find anything on
it...
Frank

Old September 30th 03, 04:34 PM
robert arndt

"DHarper" wrote in message ...
From your description it sounds like a Yak-30 or maybe the Yak-50

At first, I thought of that terrible MiG I.320... except for the
fictional Ta 183 inspired tail you described.

Rob
Old September 30th 03, 07:15 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:59:28 -0700, "Legal Tender"
wrote:

When I was a kid (appox 1957) I got a model of a Russian Jet. I ran many
searches on the net but can't find anything on it.
I don't remember the designation, but I think it was a Yak. Yes I ran 4 Yak
sites that came up.

The Jet had a nose like the F-86D, swept wings with a high sweeping tail.
The tail was very long compared to the rest of the A/C
It swept back and up in a nice curve. I've never seen another A/C with a
tail like it.
Single engine, single seater with a couple of cannon, I think were 37MM.
I think it might have been Experimental because I can't find anything out
about it..
Any Help would be welcomed...
Frank

It sounds like it might be a Yak-17 or Yak-23. They do not, however,
have the nose radome of an F-86D,

Al Minyard
Old September 30th 03, 08:10 PM
WaltBJ

I believe Aurora was working froma perliminary description of a MiG9.
Back then the first hints came from either a May Day flyby or pictures
(long range and out of focus) nabbed by military attaches. Oddity -
estimates of dimensions came from measuring the pilot's helmet in the
pictures and working from there.
Walt BJ
Old October 1st 03, 06:47 AM

anyone remember the stealth fighter kit of the 1980s? this was before
the f-117 was made public, so the kit looked like a sr-71 blackbird.

flying toys [r/c planes, model rockets] often have shapes that are
distortions of the original, for areodynamic reasons.
Old October 1st 03, 09:39 PM
Bill Silvey

wrote in message

anyone remember the stealth fighter kit of the 1980s? this was before
the f-117 was made public, so the kit looked like a sr-71 blackbird.

Yup! My stupid poly-sci textbook (college level!) was written by pinkos, so
there was a nice article about how inept the military is because they
couldn't keep top-secret designs out of the hands of toy-makers (referencing
the Testors "teardrop" shaped "F-19 Stealth Fighter", which Microprose
promptly copied for it's computer game).

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:44 AM
Anonymous

Bill Silvey wrote in message ...
Yup! My stupid poly-sci textbook (college level!) was written by pinkos, so
there was a nice article about how inept the military is because they
couldn't keep top-secret designs out of the hands of toy-makers (referencing
the Testors "teardrop" shaped "F-19 Stealth Fighter", which Microprose
promptly copied for it's computer game).

I have a book at home about stealth technology - apparently the F-19 design
was a complete fake; it wasn't a stealthy design, and was created as a ruse
to fool the press.

It had a fairly large RCS, and would have used afterburning engines.

But F-19 Stealth Fighter was still a cool game )

Cheers
Graeme

Old October 6th 03, 01:06 PM
Dingo

When I was a kid (appox 1957) I got a model of a Russian Jet. I ran many
searches on the net but can't find anything on it.
I don't remember the designation, but I think it was a Yak. Yes I ran 4

Yak
sites that came up.

The Jet had a nose like the F-86D, swept wings with a high sweeping

tail.
The tail was very long compared to the rest of the A/C
It swept back and up in a nice curve. I've never seen another A/C with a
tail like it.
Single engine, single seater with a couple of cannon, I think were 37MM.
I think it might have been Experimental because I can't find anything

out
about it..
Any Help would be welcomed...
Frank

Hmmmm... this sounds vaguely familiar to a model kit I had in my younger
days. I think it may have been a Revell kit and supposedly a MIG 19 ~ no
way ! The closest I ever came to matching it to a real aircraft was one of
the Lavochin high wing designs but then IIRC, I don't think it was *that*
close; the model was of a mid-wing aircraft.
HTH
~=~
John Ding (UK)