Medical durations for international flight

Old July 28th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Medical durations for international flight

Now that a 3rd class medical is good in the states for 5 years I was
thinking I could save some trips to the Dr. However, since I fly in
Canada occasionally and Mexico several times a year I'm wondering how
I would know if my medical would be accepted after 5 years. I
understand that info in Mexico is very slow but have we heard anything
from Transport Canada? Does ICAO say anything about medicals or does
it just refer back to the certificate issuing country for that type of
stuff?

-Robert
Old July 28th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

BTW: I see the following on ICAO
http://www.icao.int/icao/en/assembl/a36/wp/wp059_en.pdf
but something doesn't add up. It claims that private pilots need a
second class medical, which I know is not true for international
flying (or maybe it is true but Canada and Mexico wave that
requirement????)

-Robert
Old July 29th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kai Rode

BTW: I see the following on ICAO
http://www.icao.int/icao/en/assembl/a36/wp/wp059_en.pdf
but something doesn't add up. It claims that private pilots need a
second class medical, which I know is not true for international
flying

Might have something to do with the fact that FAA regulations != ICAO
regulations. In Germany, I did need a Second Class medical for my PPL(A).

ATPL/CPL: First Class
PPL: Second Class

Old July 30th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:28:21 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

BTW: I see the following on ICAO
http://www.icao.int/icao/en/assembl/a36/wp/wp059_en.pdf
but something doesn't add up. It claims that private pilots need a
second class medical, which I know is not true for international
flying (or maybe it is true but Canada and Mexico wave that
requirement????)

-Robert

But does that apply to US certificated pilots flying US certificated
aircraft?
--ron
Old July 30th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

wrote:
BTW: I see the following on ICAO
http://www.icao.int/icao/en/assembl/a36/wp/wp059_en.pdf
but something doesn't add up. It claims that private pilots need a
second class medical, which I know is not true for international
flying (or maybe it is true but Canada and Mexico wave that
requirement????)

-Robert

But does that apply to US certificated pilots flying US certificated
aircraft?

Who knows. I wonder if a 2nd class medical is required by ICAO but the
US, Mexico, and Canada are just waving that requirement to a 3rd
class. In anycase, it still leaves open the question of whether or not
Canada or Mexico will allow a private pilot to fly on a 3rd class
medical that is more than 3 years old (under 40). Perhaps the new FAA
rule is of no use to those of us who fly in Canada and Mexico.

-Robert
Old July 30th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Who knows. I wonder if a 2nd class medical is required by ICAO but the
US, Mexico, and Canada are just waving that requirement to a 3rd
class.

One thing that seem to confuse some of people who replied to this thread:
the new medical certificates for the JAR countries only have a class-I and
a class-II, but the new class-II is really the old class-III (same
requirements); they just renamed the old class-III, that's all (I know I
also have one of those);

Anyway, you can fly in any ICAO country with your N-registered aircraft,
your FAA issued pilot certificate and your valid FAA issued medical
certificate, the locals cannot question your credentials, i.e., if it is
valid for the FAA, it is valid for them, end of story. If they are not
happy with it, they are free to leave the ICAO (it becomes a wee bit more
complicated when you want to fly locally registered aircraft -- and some
countries add insurance requirements, but that's a different issue).

--Sylvain
Old August 1st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:05:41 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

Anyway, you can fly in any ICAO country with your N-registered aircraft,
your FAA issued pilot certificate and your valid FAA issued medical
certificate, the locals cannot question your credentials, i.e., if it is
valid for the FAA, it is valid for them, end of story.

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

...it becomes a wee bit more
complicated when you want to fly locally registered aircraft -- and some
countries add insurance requirements, but that's a different issue).

Did that once. It is definitely more complicated, limited, and expensive!
--ron
Old August 1st 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:05:41 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

Anyway, you can fly in any ICAO country with your N-registered aircraft,
your FAA issued pilot certificate and your valid FAA issued medical
certificate, the locals cannot question your credentials, i.e., if it is
valid for the FAA, it is valid for them, end of story.

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

by the way, I was assuming that your FAA certificate is a private or higher
(I don't think it would work with a recreational or sport pilot
certificate, the same way that some other countries have their own local
licenses/ratings that are not recognized by ICAO; for instance like the
UK 'IMC rating' and some national licenses which are not valid outside of
the country; but then, in the case of the British things, it is spelled
out in the license itself)

--Sylvain
Old August 2nd 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:11:36 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

by the way, I was assuming that your FAA certificate is a private or higher
(I don't think it would work with a recreational or sport pilot
certificate, the same way that some other countries have their own local
licenses/ratings that are not recognized by ICAO; for instance like the
UK 'IMC rating' and some national licenses which are not valid outside of
the country; but then, in the case of the British things, it is spelled
out in the license itself)

Good point. I had forgotten about those.

Let me see what is in the regs, that I can find quickly ...

61.101(h) A recreational pilot certificate issued under this subpart
carries the notation, “Holder does not meet ICAO requirements.”

61.315(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
(8) Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization from the
country in which you seek to operate. Your sport pilot certificate carries
the limit “Holder does not meet ICAO requirements.”

So I guess the US follows suit.

Best,
ron -- CP, ASEL, ASES, Instrument-Airplane
--ron

oil change durations Dick Home Built 4 July 22nd 06 05:23 PM
Class III medical, Sport Pilot Medical, Crohn's disease [email protected] Piloting 3 August 15th 05 01:44 PM
Help With Medical Problem Identified During Medical Exam pjbphd Piloting 30 September 8th 04 12:59 AM