Gliding in Africa

Old September 27th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_5_]

Default Gliding in Africa

Planning on taking a little bike trip around Africa starting next year.
Would like to do some gliding on the way.
Apart from the well known clubs and operations in South Africa and Nambia,
I've found that there are gliding operations in Morroco, Tunsia and
Eygpyt. Don't know if they still have the gliding outfit in Kenya - and I
geuss there are no operations left in Zimbabwe, anybody know?
Anybody know of any other Afican countries where there are gliding
operations?
Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Old September 27th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 27, 6:30*am, Paul T
wrote:
Planning on taking a little bike trip around Africa starting next year.
Would like to do some gliding on the way.
*Apart from the well known clubs and operations in South Africa and Nambia,
*I've found that there are gliding operations in Morroco, Tunsia and
Eygpyt. Don't know if they still have the gliding outfit in Kenya - and I
geuss there are no operations left in Zimbabwe, anybody know?
Anybody know of any other Afican countries where there are gliding
operations?
*Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Zimbabwe is ruled by a ruthless (some say mad) dictator who enforces
control over the country and people with gangs of vicious armed
thugs. Anyone with any sense has already left (most Zimbabweans are
now in South Africa).

It is extremely unlikely that any recreational aircraft are still
there and in my opinion you are completely nuts even to consider going
into that basket case of a country.

Mike
Old September 27th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 14:56 27 September 2011, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Sep 27, 6:30=A0am, Paul T
wrote:
Planning on taking a little bike trip around Africa starting next year.
Would like to do some gliding on the way.
=A0Apart from the well known clubs and operations in South Africa and

Nam=
bia,
=A0I've found that there are gliding operations in Morroco, Tunsia and
Eygpyt. Don't know if they still have the gliding outfit in Kenya - and

geuss there are no operations left in Zimbabwe, anybody know?
Anybody know of any other Afican countries where there are gliding
operations?
=A0Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Zimbabwe is ruled by a ruthless (some say mad) dictator who enforces
control over the country and people with gangs of vicious armed
thugs. Anyone with any sense has already left (most Zimbabweans are
now in South Africa).

It is extremely unlikely that any recreational aircraft are still
there and in my opinion you are completely nuts even to consider going
into that basket case of a country.

Mike

mike having travelled widely through the world - if I listened to all the
people who said don't go it's dangerous then I probablly would not have
gone anywhere, even the USA!! - I'm also quite well aware of the political
situation in Zimbabwe-that's why I am guessing there are no gliding
operations left in that country. I'm looking for objective factual
information re; whether there are gliding operations in any other African
countries, thanks

Old September 27th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

wrote:
[...]

Actually, you can probably travel to Zimbabwe reasonably safely if you
are used to troubled areas and take the usual precautions. I'd rather
you didn't go and support the regime with your tourist money for
ethical reasons.

I lived in South Africa for many years and have traveled widely in the
area, including Zimbabwe. My first glider was imported into South
Africa from Zimbabwe Last January, I met with an old soaring
colleague in Johannesburg and in passing it was mentioned that sub-
Saharan soaring operations were only occurring in South Africa and
Namibia. I was in Botswana not too long ago and was unable to locate
any soaring operations there. There were rumors about a German
engineer with a glider at a Zambian mine, but not confirmed.

I would start with a query to the South African Soaring Association -
someone there is as likely as anyone to know about sub-Saharan soaring
operations.

I certainly wouldn't discourage you from an adventure. Africa is a
very special place that still feels more like home to me than all the
other places I have lived.

Mike
Old September 27th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

For Kenya try to contact

http://www.yellowwings.com

They still have a gliding related page out the

http://yellowwings.com/gliding.htm

Not sure if they still do anything gliding related but at least they
should know what the story is in Kenya.

Markus
Old September 27th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

For what it's worth the Keyna FAI member was the Aeroclub of East
Africa, they resigned from the FAI in 2010 but they do have a website
that is working:

http://www.aeroclubea.com

Markus
Old September 27th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul,

One suggestion would be to contact Dick Bradley the owner of "Soaring
Safaris" in South Africa. Dick and I both used to fly in the
"Rhodesian Championships " if you can believe it back in the 1970's !
If anyone knows of any remaining operations in Zimbabwe, or of other
ex Zimbabweans who might know anything about any gliding there today
it might be Dick. I seriously doubt that any kind of soaring takes
place there today - a huge pity as I can remember great 300 and 500 km
contest days almost every day in October each year ( out of the Warren
Hills airfield south of Salisbury
( now Harare) . Good luck .

Ron.
Old September 29th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:30:52 +0000, Paul T
wrote:

I've found that there are gliding operations in Morroco, Tunsia and
Eygpyt.

Sorry I can't help. I flew in Ouarzazate (Morocco) an two occasions,
but there are no operations: you need to bring your self-launching
sailplane. I know about the gliding centre in BeniMellal (IIRC), but I
haven't been there.

On the other hand, would you share your knowledge of gliding
activities in Tunisia and Egypt?

thank you

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it
Old September 29th 11, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:

I've found that there are gliding operations in Morroco, Tunsia and
Eygpyt.

Sorry I can't help. I flew in Ouarzazate (Morocco) an two occasions,
but there are no operations: you need to bring your self-launching
sailplane. I know about the gliding centre in BeniMellal (IIRC), but I
haven't been there.

On the other hand, would you share your knowledge of gliding
activities in Tunisia and Egypt?

thank you

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Aldo

The gliding centre at Beni Mellal is the one I have heard off in Morrocco
-do you know if a foreigh national can fly in a 2 seater there ? that is
all I am interested in. I am trying to make contact with them

In Tunusia there is theFederal Gliding Centre at Jebel Rassas, 25kms from
Tunis - I believe they are still in existance and am tyring to make contact
with them as well.

I believe there are a number of gliding operations in Eygpt -even videos on
youtube -I am awaiting to hera from the Eygptian Aero Club.

I was wondering if there is any gliding in western africa -i seemed to
remeber reading about Hannah Reisch being involved in setting up gliding in
the 60's in Nigeria? I think

Old October 1st 11, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan Binks

On Sep 27, 4:30*pm, Paul T
wrote:
Planning on taking a little bike trip around Africa starting next year.
Would like to do some gliding on the way.
*Apart from the well known clubs and operations in South Africa and Nambia,
*I've found that there are gliding operations in Morroco, Tunsia and
Eygpyt. Don't know if they still have the gliding outfit in Kenya - and I
geuss there are no operations left in Zimbabwe, anybody know?
Anybody know of any other Afican countries where there are gliding
operations?
*Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Gliding in Kenya is still alive, but only just, thanks to the
repressive KCAA rules. For example, a glider pilot is required to have
a PPL before getting a glider rating and of course there are no
suitably qualified instructors or examiners in the country!
Nonetheless, there is a small group of enthusiasts who continue to fly
whenever we can find a tug pilot but we are unable to offer flying to
visitors from overseas. We do bring an Instructor from the UK on an
annual basis in order to get locals started under BGA rules but this
is all very much below the radar, if you understand my meaning; no C
of A, no insurance, etc... We have made representations to the KCAA to
change the rules to be more in line with the rest of the world, but so
far they fail to understand the sport and its requirements. We will
keep on trying to get them to see sense and in the interim we will fly
when we can. We have a K13, communally owned, and privately owned
there are two Standard Cirrus, a Standard Jantar, an SF27 M-C and a
DG400. Towing is by Super Cub. Conditions are, as in most of tropical
Africa, very good to spectacular and, if only the authorities would
give us some sensible rules, we could do some good flights and offer
flying to visitors, too. Unfortunately at present we cannot :-(

Gliding operationsin Africa Nick[_3_] Soaring 4 June 13th 10 03:37 PM
Ju-88 Africa a Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 9th 08 02:31 PM
Competition Results from South Africa: Gauteng Regional Gliding Championships [GTR2004] Stephen Thomas Soaring 0 September 27th 04 12:17 PM
Out of air in Africa ... Neil Trotter Simulators 1 May 12th 04 01:32 PM
What if we ignored N. Africa and the MTO? ArtKramr Military Aviation 49 December 14th 03 04:55 AM