XCSoar Questions

Old September 29th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Default XCSoar Questions

On Sep 28, 12:06*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Sep 25, 12:16*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:

Ramy wrote:
Good discussion. I decided it is time to replace my 4700 PDA (which
keep freezing on me recently *when it gets too hot) with a Droid
running XCSoar. My understanding that the Dell Streak mini is the best
option currently, and am getting ready to get one on eBay.

That's right, the Streak Mini has the best sunlight readable display.
Get one while you can, it's out of production.

What is not clear to me is what else will I need to be able to
connect it to my 302 and the glider battery, including cradle,
without having to build it myself or pay more than the cost of the
tablet itself.

There are two options for the data connection: a Bluetooth adapter
(easy), or the IOIO (you need to solder it).

The battery connection is easy: the CAI 302 has a DC 5V outlet, which
you connect to a USB plug. *This is how my panel looks:

*http://max.kellermann.name/gallery/f.../PICT0423_1024...

Max

Thanks Max. Any suggestions for cradle?
Also, now that the Amazon Kindle Fire was announced, perhaps it could
be a better solution?

Ramy

It sounds like the Kindle Fire hardware is similar to the color Nook.
Nook has the advantage of an SD slot and is hackable....

Thanks,
Craig
Old September 30th 11, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Hi Paul,

I don't own a glider, only club and rental. I own SeeYou mobile and
PC with several iPaqs. SeeYou has several bug$ that never get fixed.
And the iPaq hardware is horribly old and slow. So I tried XCSoar on
my Droid X Android phone. It's so much faster, larger and more
readable screen. I do not have an external GPS for the Droid, so it's
sort of my backup GPS for now. I ran them both and got some IGC file
discrepancies that may be from lack of external antenna for the Droid
X.

Anyway, I think XCSoar is amazing. The shaded circle around your
glider showing wind aware landout point based on polar, safety
altitude etc is very nice.

XCSoar has improved dramatically recently. Porting to Android and
great features. I still occasionally get kicked out of the app and
have to restart it, but it happens less with each upgrade. That said,
this type of thing happens with SeeYou and iPaq too.

Hoping for more refinements from XCSoar namely some kind of color
coded nav boxes like SeeYou so you can quickly id data.

Sean Fiddler is right. People keep begging for these commercial apps
to port to modern hardware. I've seen the Oudie but I think it
terrible in full sun. The iPaqs are better because the screen sort of
uses the sun to light the image. Oudie is much better in the shade
though.

Anyway, but thumbs up for XCSoar! ... Aaron

Old September 30th 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Aaron,

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with your statements below about
the Naviter Oudie. I find it to be fast and significantly brighter in
sunlight than any iPAQ. The only devices that are brighter are the much
more expensive LX8000, LX8080, LX98000, ClearNav, Ultimate, and LX Mini Map.

Please mention the bugs in SeeYou Mobile that have not been fixed. I think
it works great and is very well supported.

I think the new devices do look interesting, but the Oudie has been and
continues to be hugely popular. I've sold 336 so far. Customers seem to
like them very much - and tell their friends about them.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 30th 11, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

akiley wrote:
I still occasionally get kicked out of the app and have to restart
it, but it happens less with each upgrade. That said, this type of
thing happens with SeeYou and iPaq too.

We expect that this does not happen at all, and we take every bug
report very serious. On Windows CE, the unstable operating system and
ancient flaky hardware is responsible for most crashes. But on
Android, once we get a good bug report, it's usually fairly easy to
fix.

What we need in a bug report is a "logcat" (Android's system log).
Install an app such as "CatLog" from the market. When XCSoar crashes,
use CatLog to save the log to a file. Upload that file to a bug
report on our bug tracker (http://www.xcsoar.org/trac/newticket).

Bugs don't get fixed magically, they only get fixed if users report
them to us.

(And thanks for praising XCSoar, all on the team are putting a lot of
sweat into it ...)

Max
Old October 1st 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

On Sep 30, 2:29*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
akiley wrote:
[...]

Thanks Max, I attempted to do a bug report a few months ago as per
your instructions on your forum. I downloaded catlog, but I couldn't
figure out what triggered it my crash. My luck, every time I ran
CatLog it wouldn't crash. For that reason I didn't do an "official"
bug report. But you fixed something because I've been using the 6.2.1
with no problems so far. Ran it for several hours today and a few
yesterday. Noticed you did several Android bug fixes with 6.2.1 and
that may have done the trick. Great App. ... Aaron
Old October 1st 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

"akiley" wrote in message

[...]

I've mentioned these bugs on the Naviter forum and on this group. I
don't have the latest SeeYou, I'm at 3.2. I lived with these bugs for
a long time and didn't feel like spending more money on an upgrade to
see if they were fixed or not. Here is my list. The wing loading
changes when you leave the polar screen then come back. In Michigan,
the magnetic track box is off 12 degrees. Sometimes the graphic
thermal page shows blank the entire flight, sometimes it starts
working part way through. The Required MC to your target (NavBox)
doesn't take wind into account like the pseudo glideslope indicator
does.

I still like SeeYou mobile, and especially SeeYou PC, but I think
these should have been fixed by free incremental upgrades. I paid
good money for these apps :-)

I'm glad people like Oudie/SeeYou combo, and I'm sorry I dissagree,
but I still say in full sun, the Oudie is not as readable as the old
iPacs. They have a brighter screen for sure, but in full sun, screen
brightness isn't really a factor because the sun overpowers them so
much. I put the Oudie side by side with several iPaqs in direct sun
and played with every angle to the sun, and reflected them into my
black t-shirt for maximum contrast and that was my personal
conclusion. I forget the name for it, but the old iPaqs (3700 and
3850) have a screen that will sort of glow when held at the correct
angle to full sun. Under a cloud I wouldn't be surprised if Oudie was
as good or better. Maybe building a sun shade for the Oudie as I've
heard people talk about. One of the new Android phones has this kind
of screen which is recommend on the XCSoar forums.

... Aaron
Old October 1st 11, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 28, 11:11*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Ramy wrote:
Thanks Max. Any suggestions for cradle?

On my photos, you can see the original Dell cradle for cars. *One of
my club mates builds mounts from bended plastic.

Max

The following mounting for the streak was recommended to me:
http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Sli...r_p_99842.html
So looks like we have all the pieces. Except maybe for integrating
with flarm in addition to 302? Will this require the K6Mux in addition
to the K6bt?

Ramy
Old October 1st 11, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ramy wrote:
Except maybe for integrating with flarm in addition to 302? Will
this require the K6Mux in addition to the K6bt?

No, just K6-Bt. If you want to connect multiple loggers/varios/...,
then you can use multiple K6-Bt (I have two adapters, one for CAI302
and one for FLARM, to have airspeed/vario data and traffic data at the
same time). K6-Mux is a deprecated product for legacy hardware.
Old October 2nd 11, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 1, 3:04*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
Ramy wrote:
Except maybe for integrating with flarm in addition to 302? Will
this require the K6Mux in addition to the K6bt?

No, just K6-Bt. *If you want to connect multiple loggers/varios/...,
then you can use multiple K6-Bt (I have two adapters, one for CAI302
and one for FLARM, to have airspeed/vario data and traffic data at the
same time). *K6-Mux is a deprecated product for legacy hardware.

When I dig more into the various accessories needed, I find the
pricing, hmm, interesting...
- The amazing software, accumulative of many developers hours, is
free!
- The hardware is priced right ($200-$400)
- The accessories are expensive (BT adapters, mountings etc)
- The cables are down right outragously expensive ($45-75$ for a DB9
to RJ-11/USB!!) are they made of gold??
Obviously I am in the wrog business, writing software. Should make
cables instead...
Anyone can recommend a more reasonable source to purchase those
cables?

Ramy

xcsoar [email protected] Soaring 40 August 13th 09 09:01 PM
XCSoar in the UK Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 August 10th 09 10:46 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 12:05 AM
XCSoar Robert Danewid Soaring 2 February 7th 04 01:30 PM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM