Survey Time

Old February 20th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Survey Time

Of the five what is the biggest threat to GA?

1. High fuel cost
2. Insurance
3. FAA policies
4. Terror war restrictions
5. Maintenance cost on aircraft

#4, sort of.

It's not "terror war restrictions" per se, though they are pretty damn
harmful. It's the general public opinion and attitude that has led to them,
as well as other effects.

#3 seems like a red herring to me, and #'s 1, 2, and 5 are really all just
the same issue: economics.

I think that fundamentally, economics is always an issue, but I also think
it's one that will resolve itself, as long as the other issues are dealt
with.

But public perception is a big problem. It gets in the way of new
participants, and it allows draconian and useless regulations to be put in
place, strangling the entire industry.

Pete

Old February 20th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

DILLIGAF wrote:

Of the five what is the biggest threat to GA?

1. High fuel cost
2. Insurance **

See #5 below
3. FAA policies
4. Terror war restrictions
5. Maintenance cost on aircraft ***

I believe this (which is ultimately related and interlocked with #2) is
doing the most damage. Lawsuits result in very high parts and maintenance
costs which reult in people avoiding maintenance or upgrades they might
otherwise perform. This results in less safe aircraft and higher risk of
accidents/incidents/lawsuits which further increases costs.

This is a vicious spiral and, if nothing is done, will eventually kill off
GA all but the extremely wealthy.

Old February 20th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

DILLIGAF wrote:
Of the five what is the biggest threat to GA?

1. High fuel cost
2. Insurance
3. FAA policies
4. Terror war restrictions
5. Maintenance cost on aircraft

6. Stupid ng posts.

Matt
Old February 20th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
DILLIGAF wrote:

Of the five what is the biggest threat to GA?

1. High fuel cost
2. Insurance
3. FAA policies
4. Terror war restrictions
5. Maintenance cost on aircraft

1) Real estate developers and their political cronies. They have the ear
of the local politicians and all too often persuade (read: sometimes
bribe) them into closing airports for "better" uses. Real estate
developers are the single biggest political contributors at the local
and state level in the US.

2) #1 above

3) #4 above

4) Tort lawyers with their "deep pockets" mentality. A "loser pays"
legal policy would straighten this one out immediately ( plus, it would
solve a lot of other problems.) We will probably never see it because
the trial lawyers are one of the biggest lobbies in DC. #2 above is a
result of this one, as is #5

5) #4 We have Chicken Little making policy and Fearless Fosdick
enforcing it. #3 above is part of this, but it is the Homeland Security
tail wagging the FAA dog.
Old February 20th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
DILLIGAF wrote:

Of the five what is the biggest threat to GA?

1. High fuel cost
2. Insurance
3. FAA policies
4. Terror war restrictions
5. Maintenance cost on aircraft

In my neck of the woods, I would vote #4.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 20th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A "loser pays"
legal policy would straighten this one out immediately

The problem with "loser pays" is that only the rich could afford to take
the risk of having to pay, so the less well off would be without fair
representation.

Jose
Old February 20th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, the system as it is isn't working

.... which is no reccomendation for a fix that won't work.

Jose

Old February 20th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
Well, the system as it is isn't working

... which is no reccomendation for a fix that won't work.

The "fix" is out there (I'd be happy to elaborate on my
proposal if it would do any good) but nothing will ever
be done because of the general makeup of government and
the inherent lack of leadership.

A bunch of self-serving career politicians (mostly layers)
have proven themselves exceptionally adept at doing pretty
much nothing except throwing money at problems and getting
re-elected year after year.