Can a failed Glide Slope also void the Localizer approach?

Old August 23rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default Can a failed Glide Slope also void the Localizer approach?

I had a question today that I've never considered, and need the
experience of the group.

Are there airports with ILS approaches such that if the Glide Slope
component failed or went OTS, the entire approach would be un-executable
by regulation? I've always assumed that with the GS OTS I'd just revert
to the LOC, but are there approaches were the full ILS is approved but
the LOC only isn't? In other words, are there precision approaches where
vertical guidance is required and there is no non-precision alternative?

Old August 23rd 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
150flivver

Jim Carter wrote:

Are there airports with ILS approaches such that if the Glide Slope
component failed or went OTS, the entire approach would be un-executable
by regulation? I've always assumed that with the GS OTS I'd just revert
to the LOC, but are there approaches were the full ILS is approved but
the LOC only isn't? In other words, are there precision approaches where
vertical guidance is required and there is no non-precision alternative?

I would think if there are localizer minimums published, you could
revert to the localizer should the GS go out.

Old August 23rd 06, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave S

Jim Carter wrote:
I had a question today that I’ve never considered, and need the
experience of the group.

Are there airports with ILS approaches such that if the Glide Slope
component failed or went OTS, the entire approach would be un-executable
by regulation? I’ve always assumed that with the GS OTS I’d just revert
to the LOC, but are there approaches were the full ILS is approved but
the LOC only isn’t? In other words, are there precision approaches where
vertical guidance is required and there is no non-precision alternative?

As another has stated: If there is a published localizer only approach,
or if the ILS approach has published localizer only minimums, then you
can proceed with a localizer approach.

If there are no localizer only approaches or minima charted, then I
would suspect you cannot do the approach under IFR.

Dave
Old August 23rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Conversation: Can a failed Glide Slope also void the Localizer

approach?
Subject: Can a failed Glide Slope also void the Localizer

approach?

Jim Carter wrote:
[...]

I think we all understand the concept of Localizer only approach
minimums, but my question was "... are there approaches were the full
ILS is approved but the LOC only isn't?" Does anyone know of a specific
airport?

Old August 23rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 23rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 23rd 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

I have not looked at every ILS to see the answer, but I
would guess that some standard or special [private] ILS
procedure at an airport with many obstructions or in the
mountains could require a GS and not be allowed otherwise.
To get the answer you need to reread the TERPS manual or
perhaps call Flight Standards in OKC and ask the experts.
At the pilot end, fly what is authorized on the chart and by
NOTAM.

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
news:00a401c6c6af$7009ba60$4001a8c0@omnibook6100.. .

> [...]
Localizer

Old August 23rd 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jim Carter wrote:

I had a question today that I’ve never considered, and need the
experience of the group.

Are there airports with ILS approaches such that if the Glide Slope
component failed or went OTS, the entire approach would be un-executable
by regulation? I’ve always assumed that with the GS OTS I’d just revert
to the LOC, but are there approaches were the full ILS is approved but
the LOC only isn’t? In other words, are there precision approaches where
vertical guidance is required and there is no non-precision alternative?

Quite a few, such as Boeing Field, Arcata,California Reno, Butte,
Montana. All of those have a separate LOC procedure, which cannot be
switched to midsstream. Missula, Montana was an ILS that does not have
a separate LOC IAP.

It's all about being able to place stepdown fixes in accordance with
TERPs criteria (facility accuracy, fix displacement factor) rather than
with the continous, and varying with distance, electronic glide-path
obstacle clearance plane.
Old August 23rd 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JPH

Jim Carter wrote:
I had a question today that I’ve never considered, and need the
experience of the group.

Are there airports with ILS approaches such that if the Glide Slope
component failed or went OTS, the entire approach would be un-executable
by regulation? I’ve always assumed that with the GS OTS I’d just revert
to the LOC, but are there approaches were the full ILS is approved but
the LOC only isn’t? In other words, are there precision approaches where
vertical guidance is required and there is no non-precision alternative?

There are some procedures that only have precision ILS minima published
on the procedure, so if the GS went OTS, then that procedure would not
be available simply because that procedure requires the glideslope and
has no LOC line of minima. If they have circling minima on the ILS then
there is a note "Circling requires descent on glideslope to MDA".
See the example at Butte, Montana;
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0608/00588I15.PDF
In that example, there is no non-precision alternative on that
particular plate, but there is a LOC procedure published on a separate
approach plate if you want to fly the LOC only procedure.
I don't know offhand if there are any ILS runways that have no "LOC
only" mins available at all.

JPH
Old August 23rd 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

JPH wrote:

I don't know offhand if there are any ILS runways that have no "LOC
only" mins available at all.

JPH

KMSO