Terminal velocity of bombs?

Old September 22nd 03, 04:20 AM
BackToNormal

Default Terminal velocity of bombs?

Was half paying attention to a TV doco on the Dambusters a few mins ago
and thought I heard the narrator say the Earthquake bomb designed by
Barnes Wallis broke the sound barrie on its way down.
Comments anyone?

ronh

--
"People do not make decisions on facts, rather,
how they feel about the facts" Robert Consedine
Old September 22nd 03, 06:22 AM
Juvat

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police,
BackToNormal blurted out:

Try http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/termv.html
Old September 22nd 03, 06:26 AM
Juvat

Also try this http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

Old September 22nd 03, 06:29 AM
Juvat

BackToNormal asked:

Comments anyone?

How 'bout this
http://www.saltspring.com/brochmann/...Ball-1.00.html
Old September 22nd 03, 06:54 AM
Kerryn Offord

When dropped from (IIRC) 40,000' it was supposed to become supersonic
(original design spec). As it was dropped from a much lower altitude
(20,000'??) it didn't(?).

The Tallboys and Grandslams had a well designed ballistic shape and
could accelerate to these velocities

Old September 22nd 03, 01:28 PM

William Hughes wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:20:05 +1200, in rec.aviation.military
(BackToNormal) wrote:

Was half paying attention to a TV doco on the Dambusters a few mins ago
and thought I heard the narrator say the Earthquake bomb designed by
Barnes Wallis broke the sound barrie on its way down.
Comments anyone?

Methinks you may have misinterpereted something. Iron bombs have the same
terminal velocity as everything else, about 135 mph, IIRC.

Hey guys...lookit that feather fallin there!...is it ever friggen
moven !!
--

-Gord.
Old September 22nd 03, 05:00 PM
Scott Ferrin

(BackToNormal) wrote:

Was half paying attention to a TV doco on the Dambusters a few mins ago
and thought I heard the narrator say the Earthquake bomb designed by
Barnes Wallis broke the sound barrie on its way down.
Comments anyone?

Methinks you may have misinterpereted something. Iron bombs have the same
terminal velocity as everything else, about 135 mph, IIRC.

Think a bit about how gravity works and what "terminal velocity"
actually *is*. A human might fall about that fast because of their
density and drag. And that's at low altitude. Someone bailing out at
high altitude where the air is thinner will fall much faster.
Something with less drag or higher density will too.
Old September 22nd 03, 05:41 PM
Ed Majden

"Kerryn Offord"
The Tallboys and Grandslams had a well designed ballistic shape and
could accelerate to these velocities

Seems to me I heard somewhere that a high altitude parachutist was going
to try and break the sound barrier! Anyone know anything about this?

Ed