F-15 Breakup Animation & video

Old January 15th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default F-15 Breakup Animation & video

"Clark" wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
:

"Big John" wrote in message
news

How do you equate the age of the B-52 fleet compared to the age of the
early Model F-15's you are talking about?

In terms of flying hours the B-52 fleet may be younger.

Ummm, no. The design life of the F-15 is about half of the current average
hours on the B-52 fleet. It took less than 2 minutes to google that up.

I suspect you'll try to nitpick this, McNicoll. Don't. Just accept the
fact
that you are wrong again.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

A huge bomber is being flown at lower g-loads than a fighter would be in
normal training and sorties I would think.

Old January 15th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Actually, it does -- unless you don't believe an Air Force contributes to
the "common defence" of the country:

Article I, Section 8. "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect
Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the
common Defence and general Welfare of the United States..."

You didn't go far enough:

"...but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the
United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and
with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the
subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the
standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current
coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited
times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective
writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and
offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules
concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall
be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval
forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union,
suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for
governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United
States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the
officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the
discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such
District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular
states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of
the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased
by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be,
for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful
buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into
execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this
Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or
officer thereof."

If you wish to gain an understanding of the Constitution, the best sources
are James Madison's "Notes On the Constitutional Convention of 1787", "The
Federalist Papers", and "The Heritage Guide to the Constitution."

Old January 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Actually, it does -- unless you don't believe an Air Force
contributes to the "common defence" of the country:

Article I, Section 8. "The Congress shall have Power To lay and
collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and
provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United
States..."

You didn't go far enough:

He never does, but then he's got you to take up the slack.

Bertie

Old January 15th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:45:00 -0600, Dave S
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

To put that in perspective, that would be like our fathers and
grandfathers flying Spads and Sopwith Camels against the Luftwaffe in 1943.

Hardly a fair comparison.

The F15 is still an excellent air superiority fighter. It has a PERFECT,
unblemished record - its never been shot down. Granted much of this is
because of the integrated system in which its deployed - stealth takes
out the enemies eyes, AWACS serves as your eye in the sky, etc.. - even
if it had to operate without the system, it would be formidable.

The B52 assembly line was shut down in the 60's.. and its said the last
crews to fly it have yet to be born. Despite being superseded by the B1B
and the B2, its still the front line workhorse.

Aging issues in the fleet are a serious concern, but that does not mean
the design itself is obsolete or faulty. If new parts and airframes were
readily available, it would still be top dog for quite a while.

Dave

To add to your good post.

Here is an extract on the F-15 problem. Jay, note the number of birds
that have been returned to flight status in the marked paragraph.

Big John

11/21/2007 - LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (AFPN) -- Gen. John D.W.
Corley, commander, Air Combat Command, sent a message Nov. 21 to F-15
pilots, weapons systems officers and maintenance professionals
outlining the actions the Air Force has taken following the Nov. 2
F-15C Eagle mishap that resulted in the loss of the aircraft.

The message reads:

(Quote) Airmen

On 2 November, the Air Force experienced an F-15C mishap resulting in
the loss of the aircraft. The circumstances of the mishap indicated
catastrophic structural failure. On 3 November, the Air Force grounded
its F-15 fleet. This decision was not made lightly. It was the right
thing to do based upon the nature of this mishap.

Grounding a fleet of nearly 700 front-line aircraft has significant
operational impact. Total force, joint and coalition partners were
able to mitigate that impact.

The cause of the mishap remains under investigation. Air Force
maintenance and operations professionals and industry experts are
working with the accident investigation board to examine all aspects
of the mishap. At the same time, structural engineers have conducted
in-depth technical reviews of data from multiple sources. We continue
to proceed in an inclusive and transparent fashion to derive, as best
as humanly possible, the cause of the mishap.

We evaluated the grounded fleet. First, we focused on the F-15Es. They
are the newest F-15s and have been exposed to less stress. They are
structurally different than the A-D models. Problems identified during
years of A-D model usage were designed "out" of the E-model. Given
these differences, and after consultation with Warner Robins Air
Logistics Center and the AIB, we returned the F-15E fleet to flying
status following successful inspections.

Next, we concentrated on the remainder of the grounded fleet. The AIB
is now focused on the area just aft of the cockpit and slightly
forward of the inlets. Warner Robins ALC mandated a thorough
inspection and repair of all structural components in this area. I
have directed each F-15 aircraft be inspected and cleared before
returning to operational status. Today, ACC issued (a flight crew
information file) and Warner Robins ALC issued an Operational
Supplemental Tech Order to further direct and guide your pre-flight
and post-flight actions.

The F-15 is a formidable war fighting aircraft and workhorse for our
Air Force. I applaud each and every Eagle pilot, WSO and maintainer
for the meticulous and disciplined way you approached this challenge.
Mission accomplishment entails risk. Together, we must remain vigilant
and focused on operational risk management to mitigate this risk.
Airmen speak up when they see something wrong. I rely on you to ensure
all operations and maintenance parameters are in order before flight.
The F-15 community can take great pride in the fact that you have met
this challenge. We must deliver air power on time, on target given our
overriding duty to defend our Country. (End Quote)

NOTE THIS PARAGRAPH-----------------------

There are nearly 700 F-15s in the Air Force inventory. As of today,
219 of the 224 E-models and 294 of the 442 A-D models in the inventory
have been inspected and cleared for flight.

In releasing the F-15 fleet to fly, General Corley said the Air Force
was accepting a degree of risk.

"We accept this risk because of our overriding duty to provide
unrivaled combat air power for the defense of our Country," the
general said.

(Courtesy of Air Combat Command News Service)

Old January 15th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Actually, it does -- unless you don't believe an Air Force contributes to
the "common defence" of the country:

Article I, Section 8. "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect
Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the
common Defence and general Welfare of the United States..."

You didn't go far enough:

"...but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the
United States;

SNIP

What's your point? He posted the part that was that had something to do
with what he was talking about. Unless it is your position that
something else in Art. I Sec 8 says that the Air Force isn't included in
the "Common Defense" clause you are just blowing smoke.
Old January 15th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Clark" wrote in message

Ummm, no. The design life of the F-15 is about half of the current average
hours on the B-52 fleet. It took less than 2 minutes to google that up.

I suspect you'll try to nitpick this, McNicoll. Don't. Just accept the
fact that you are wrong again.

I suspect you're not at all aware that you made an apples-oranges
comparison.

B-52 airframes average about 18,000 flying hours. The airframe life is
estimated to be between 32,500 and 37,500 hours, depending on the usage
history of the individual aircraft. They are relatively young in terms of
flying hours because they spent much of their operational life on ground
alert.

By comparison, the airframe life of the F-15A-D is 8000 hours, some are
approaching that now. So in terms of flying hours the B-52 fleet is indeed
considerably younger than the F-15 fleet.

Old January 16th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

You didn't go far enough:

In what way?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Video from VMC to IMC [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 2 December 22nd 07 01:50 AM
Kiwi! Cool animation Buck Murdock General Aviation 1 February 9th 07 03:41 PM
Terrafugia animation Mike Noel Owning 4 January 8th 07 01:50 AM
VIDEO: Frecce Tricolore collides over Ramstein - a new head on video Montblack Piloting 1 February 12th 05 05:03 AM
RC F-14 video Yeff Naval Aviation 4 November 1st 04 09:46 PM