Red Bull Air race videos

Old December 7th 04, 02:53 AM
mike regish

Default Red Bull Air race videos

Check out this site. It has video of the new aerobatic air races.

http://www.redbullcopilot.com/

mike regish

Old December 7th 04, 05:04 AM
Jay Honeck

http://www.redbullcopilot.com/

The videos -- and the races -- are awesome.

I hope they rejuvenate air racing worldwide!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 7th 04, 06:05 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
http://www.redbullcopilot.com/

The videos -- and the races -- are awesome.

I hope they rejuvenate air racing worldwide!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,

I'll grant you that it's an aeronautical competition and it's exciting as
hell...but is it really "racing?"

I don't think Reno (the traditional 'round the pylons...) would be anywhere
near as exciting if you only had one plane at a time racing the clock
instead of multiple planes going wingtip to wingtip.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old December 7th 04, 01:59 PM
Jay Honeck

I'll grant you that it's an aeronautical competition and it's exciting as
hell...but is it really "racing?"

I don't think Reno (the traditional 'round the pylons...) would be
anywhere near as exciting if you only had one plane at a time racing the
clock instead of multiple planes going wingtip to wingtip.

I thought the same thing -- until I watched the races at Reno in September.

The difference is that the Red Bull races are held directly in front of the
grandstand, easily in view of the crowd. It is a timed event, so every
shortcut possible is taken, resulting in some really wild, exciting (and
dangerous) flying. Unlike the regular races, you can see every nuance --
and every mistake -- right *there* in front of you.

The traditional air races are a thrill, don't get me wrong -- but nowadays
you need a huge, completely unpopulated area to run them. The Red Bull
races can be held on just about any airport which (in my opinion) means that
they hold great potential to rejuvenate the sport.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 7th 04, 03:13 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:53:53 GMT, "mike regish"
wrote:

Check out this site. It has video of the new aerobatic air races.

http://www.redbullcopilot.com/

WOW. Looks intense.

What is the width of the gates? It looked like the plane barely fits
between the gates. I'm sure it is an optical illusion though.

Old December 7th 04, 04:51 PM
Newps

Nathan Young wrote:

What is the width of the gates? It looked like the plane barely fits
between the gates. I'm sure it is an optical illusion though.

The video says 10 meters.
Old December 7th 04, 09:25 PM
Jay Beckman

wrote:

Check out this site. It has video of the new aerobatic air races.

http://www.redbullcopilot.com/

WOW. Looks intense.

What is the width of the gates? It looked like the plane barely fits
between the gates. I'm sure it is an optical illusion though.

The highlight-esque version that aired on NBC this past weekend said that if
they split the gate dead center, they have 10 feet on either side.

Jay B

Old December 7th 04, 10:10 PM
Marco Leon

Would you consider the downhill ski slalom competition in the Olympics a
"race?" How about the luge or bobsled?

Old December 7th 04, 10:49 PM
Jay Beckman

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
Would you consider the downhill ski slalom competition in the Olympics a
"race?" How about the luge or bobsled?

IMO, unless the slalom is a dual course, no. To me, a "race" is a
competition where you are trying to beat one or more competitors to a finish
line and you have real time feedback on your relative position.
Yes, the fastest one wins, but it's relative. You only have to be faster
than the other guy at that moment.

Bobsled, luge and the Red Bull are timed competitions where running the
cleanest path should yield the fastest time but you don't know where you
finished until you complete the course.
Again, the fastest one wins, but he has to be THE fastest.

It's semantics...but it's my opinion of what makes a race, a race. You need
an element of head to head.

Regards,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL