Final Word on Syrian/Iranian A/C

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 16th 03, 12:31 PM
Tom Cooper

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...

Suggestion noted and rejected. There are just too many references to
Syria picking up some Su-27s from Russia in 2000 and likewise no
mention of operational Su-25s for Iran, although in 2003 there are
news sources that report Iran was aquiring additional Su-25 airframes.

Robert,
the editors of such publications like Jane's World Air Forces do not even
have a direct contact to their own contributors in situ, so to have the
possibility to check if their info is entirely up to date. Jane's World Air
Forces Issue 15, just for example, cites the Angolan Air Force having
nothing less but five squadrons of MiG-21 "right now", which was not the
case even at the best times the FAPA-DAA saw, so in 1987 (not to talk about
the fact that even such a prominent editor like Paul Jackson apparently has
no infos about the Sudanese AF at all).

But you seem to expect that all the other similar publications - which to a
considerable degree actually copy-paste their infos from Jane's, or at least
cross-check their informations with different Jane's publications - "to know
better" if there are Su-27s in Syria or not?

Come on, even the Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies cites "Su-27 not
confirmed" in their newest assessments on the topic of Middle Eastern
military ballance, but you're going to explain us that you are "convinced"
that there are Su-27s with the SyAAF on the basis of out-of-date reference
publications, none of which had first-hand sources? Just because there are
"so many of them"? Shouldn't at least the Israelis know it a little bit
better than you, or Jane's or all the other of your tremendously
authoritative sources? Haven't you read the example with "so many of them"
sources citing a Soviet Mi-24 shot down an Iranian F-4 further above?

Also, I was disturbed by Tom Cooper's comments about not trusting
aviation reference books since he, himself, is the co-author of two on
Iranian aircraft. A bit hypocritical Tom? You should have just said to
properly make the distinction between aircraft reference books that
are to be used as guides and serious authoritative books like Jane's
to settle disputes.

Tom Cooper makes all sorts of annoying comments and thinks he's an
authority on all things pertaining to the Iranian AF. That's why he
can't provide information of the number of Su-25s supposedly operated
by Iran, their units, tailnumbers, bases, or any photographic proof of
any flying.

If my remarks on the topic of military and politics in the Middle East are
annoying for you - that better. Besides, I appreciate you being so kind to
rise so much dust about me: this is good for my ego, you know.

But, to say I can't provide any information on the number of Su-25s in Iran
is a way off: I said there are seven of them, and they are in service with
the IRGCAF. I could also explain you about the unit that operates them (not
"units") their serials, bases etc., no problem, but you wouldn't understand
this as I'm sure you don't know anything about the OrBat of the Iranian air
arms, so this would mean nothing to you. Besides, it costs quite some money
to run this kind of research, and you wouldn't pay anything for this in
exchange, so I'm not interested.

Thus, here is my proposal, which I think is really fair and ballanced for
both of us: you continue babbling about how wrong and annoying I am at every
opportunity on the r.a.m. and everywhere else (thanks in advance!), and I'll
continue researching and publishing - together with my co-workers, of
course.

Then, in exactly one year from now, we'll meet here again, make a summary of
what was published where in the meantime, and see who was right and who
wrong,

OK?

Tom Cooper
Co-Author:
Iran-Iraq War in the Air, 1980-1988:
http://www.acig.org/pg1/content.php
and,
Iranian F-4 Phantom II Units in Combat:
http://www.osprey-publishing.co.uk/t...hp/title=S6585

final reserve fuel Tim Instrument Flight Rules 1 December 25th 04 11:46 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Home Built 34 August 13th 04 03:20 PM
Oshkosh RAH RAP Frequencies (Final ... sort of) Jim Weir Home Built 4 July 22nd 04 03:38 PM
transitioning from instruments to visual landing on final Gerald Sylvester Instrument Flight Rules 24 May 5th 04 12:07 AM
RV-7a baggage area David Smith Home Built 32 December 15th 03 04:08 AM