CFI textbook recommendations?

Old June 18th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

Default CFI textbook recommendations?

The Jeppesen CFI manual is $71. The ASA is $25. That's practically an hour
of flying time, but I'm a little disappointed with the ASA 2007 FAR/AIM.
For commercial pilots, for example, the ASA book's suggested reading
includes Part 121 but doesn't actually include it.

Does anybody know if the Jepp book is worth ~3x the ASA book or would I be
paying for a publisher's name?

Any other recommendations?

-c

Old June 18th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jun 18, 12:08 pm, "Gatt" wrote:
The Jeppesen CFI manual is $71. The ASA is $25. That's practically an hour
of flying time, but I'm a little disappointed with the ASA 2007 FAR/AIM.
For commercial pilots, for example, the ASA book's suggested reading
includes Part 121 but doesn't actually include it.

Does anybody know if the Jepp book is worth ~3x the ASA book or would I be
paying for a publisher's name?

Any other recommendations?

-c

Gatt
Check with your local library for text? Mine has pretty current stuff
and of course the fundamentals and techniques of instruction don't
change that much year to year.
But, now that our educational system is dumbing down and the FAA with
it, I guess you have to watch for the newest version of "Flight
Instruction for Dummies" ??
Ol S&B
Soaring Buzzard
World Infamous Pilot/Instructor
BTW
Have you ever checked eBay for bargains? They are abundant with
diligent and frequent searching.

Old June 18th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
oups.com...

Have you ever checked eBay for bargains? They are abundant with
diligent and frequent searching.

That's my next plan. Just drove down to Flightcraft at PDX. They closed
their pilot shop down, but I -did- get to watch a private T-36 start up and
depart so it was worth the lunch hour spent.

-c

Old June 18th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Gatt wrote:
That's my next plan. Just drove down to Flightcraft at PDX. They closed
their pilot shop down, but I -did- get to watch a private T-36 start up and
depart so it was worth the lunch hour spent.

What's a T-36?
Old June 18th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"john smith" wrote in message
Gatt wrote:
That's my next plan. Just drove down to Flightcraft at PDX. They closed
their pilot shop down, but I -did- get to watch a private T-36 start up
and depart so it was worth the lunch hour spent.

What's a T-36?

A flying typo. Should be T-38.

-c

Old June 18th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"john smith" wrote in message

What's a T-36?

The Beechcraft T-36A was a twin-engine advanced trainer/light transport for
the USAF. But since the project was cancelled before the prototype flew I'd
say it's mention here is a typo.

Old June 18th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Adding Part 121 would just about double the size of the FAR/AIM for the
benefit of a comparatively small number of purchasers. If there are any 121
questions on the CFI written, which I doubt (I took mine in 1968 so the
details are a little fuzzy), you could get them from the FAA web site.

When you get ready to take your ATP written, self-study is a disaster...find
a quickie school.

Bob Gardner

Old June 18th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Gatt" wrote)
What's a T-36?

A flying typo. Should be T-38.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Bonanza
A flying typo. Should be A36.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-36
A flying typo. Should be B-36.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-36_Electra
A flying typo. Should be C-36.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-36_Hawk
A flying typo. Should be P-36.

Hey, this is fun!

Paul-Mont

Old June 18th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
Adding Part 121 would just about double the size of the FAR/AIM for the
benefit of a comparatively small number of purchasers. If there are any
121 questions on the CFI written, which I doubt (I took mine in 1968 so
the details are a little fuzzy), you could get them from the FAA web site.

Ah, that makes sense. Apparently, there's one section of 121 that is now
relevant, according to the Chief Flight Instructor: The tricky part is
where it says "each certificate holder". The Appendix isn't specific except
to refer to "Safety-sensitive functions." I dunno...I spent a lot of time
trying to figure it out for the Commercial oral exam (as advised) and the
first thing the examiner said is "I'm not going to drill you on Part 135,
121 and all that because if you go to work for a part 135 operator, it's all
in their manual and you'll be responsible for learning it then anyway."....

Sec. 121.457 - Testing for prohibited drugs.

(a) Each certificate holder or operator shall test each of its employees who
performs a function listed in appendix I to this part in accordance with
that appendix.

(b) No certificate holder or operator may use any contractor to perform a
function listed in appendix I to this part unless that contractor tests each
employee performing such a function for the certificate holder or operator
in accordance with that appendix.

APPENDIX I:

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part121-I-APPX.shtml

Old June 19th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-06-18 12:45:16 -0700, Ol Shy & Bashful said:

On Jun 18, 12:08 pm, "Gatt" wrote:
[...]

I like the Jeppesen book for its thoroughness. I still refer to it
quite frequently. It was worth it to me. But to learn the minimum stuff
you need to pass the written and practical tests, just study one of the
practice exam books.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Al Qaeda Jihadi Textbook: 9/11 Forced US To Fall Into The "Trap" Of Overextending The Military... (see first page of comments by scrolling down to such at the following URL): dontcowerfromthetruth Naval Aviation 0 June 27th 06 08:30 PM
Textbook Belly landing at PDK Dave Piloting 20 November 21st 05 04:14 AM
FA: Vintage Textbook - FLIGHT MECHANICS - Vol 1 - Theory of Flight Paths Richard Aviation Marketplace 0 February 14th 05 01:56 PM
CHT recommendations Dude Owning 3 December 26th 04 05:07 PM
MFD recommendations Richard Kaplan Products 13 January 27th 04 04:04 PM