Finally broke 200kts

Old April 4th 04, 02:27 AM
Nathan Young

Default Finally broke 200kts

I've owned my Cherokee 180 for 4 years, and during this time have seen
my share of headwinds and tailwinds. Got my most impressive tailwind
today.

Flew home from Western Wisconsin (to Chicago) today, and finally broke
200kts (in level flight): 13.5kft, 202Kts groundspeed - in a Cherokee
180!

-Nathan

Old April 4th 04, 03:03 PM
Nathan Young

Unfortunately - that was the trip out

Had to climb to 10.5k to get out of the bumps, and got a 65-80kts GS.

Western Wisconsin has some small hills, so I knew that would probably
accentuate the turbulence. It did - ended up being the worst
turbulence I have experienced. Descending through 5 and down, I hiit
a few bumps that sent things (including me) to the roof.

Winds were ~330 @ 30 with higher gusts when I got down.

Old April 4th 04, 03:11 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:41:06 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Flew home from Western Wisconsin (to Chicago) today, and finally broke
200kts (in level flight): 13.5kft, 202Kts groundspeed - in a Cherokee
180!

Cool, no? The wind yesterday was really something -- NO ONE was flying
here. (Well, I saw a twin take off, and his wings were rocking back and
forth like a pendulum, and he appeared to be standing still. When he
finally turned downwind to depart the pattern, his speed doubled!)

The real question, though: What were you doing at 13.5 on such a short
flight? Trying to find smooth air?

Yep, it was brutal below 8k. Clouds were scattered at 8-12k, so I
ended up at 13.5k. I knew the tailwind was going to be phenomenal up
high, and my GS kept increasing as I climbed, so I kept going. Would
have went higher if I had O2 & turbo.

-Nathan

Old April 4th 04, 03:30 PM
Dan Luke

"Nathan Young" wrote:
Flew home from Western Wisconsin (to Chicago) today, and finally
broke 200kts (in level flight):

Going over to Baton Rouge yesterday to pick up an Angel Flight patient,
I had a 30-40 knot headwind at 6,000'. Opposite direction to Panama
City? You guessed it: 10-20 knot tailwind at 7,000'. Seems like that
always happens on these turnaround trips: you never get as much tailwind
as headwind.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 4th 04, 06:47 PM
Darkwing Duck

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
I've owned my Cherokee 180 for 4 years, and during this time have seen
my share of headwinds and tailwinds. Got my most impressive tailwind
today.

Flew home from Western Wisconsin (to Chicago) today, and finally broke
200kts (in level flight): 13.5kft, 202Kts groundspeed - in a Cherokee
180!

-Nathan

Hit 202 GS in a C182 late last year. Went from Chicago to Indy in 1 hour!

Old April 5th 04, 02:31 AM
Jay Honeck

Yep, it was brutal below 8k. Clouds were scattered at 8-12k, so I
ended up at 13.5k. I knew the tailwind was going to be phenomenal up
high, and my GS kept increasing as I climbed, so I kept going. Would
have went higher if I had O2 & turbo.

We flew up that way today (Prairie du Chien area) and, although the surface
winds were MUCH calmer, the winds aloft were still pretty stirred up. It
was pretty rough below 5000 feet.

By this evening, however, everything was smooooooth as silk.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 6th 04, 05:11 PM
Robert M. Gary

The other side of that is less fun. I once hit 12 knots in my Mooney
while flying over General Fox field in So Cal's high desert region. I
asked the controller to confirm the GS just for kicks. The cause
were very high winds aloft combined with some pretty strong down
drafts.

Old April 6th 04, 07:32 PM
Todd Pattist

"Darkwing Duck" wrote:

Hit 202 GS in a C182 late last year. Went from Chicago to Indy in 1 hour!

I saw exactly the same speed - 202 knots GS at 30,000' in my
sailplane over Mt. Washington a few years ago. Who needs an
engine :-)
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

The 206 is finally done C J Campbell Owning 5 December 22nd 04 03:30 AM
Bush finally admits it! noname Military Aviation 1 August 6th 04 11:31 AM
Finally flying new Skyhawks! Scott Schluer Piloting 11 February 24th 04 10:02 PM
Finally! EDR Piloting 9 February 7th 04 02:15 PM
It’s finally ready! Joern Lillehagen Home Built 0 September 4th 03 02:11 AM