Reasons to talk to ATC...

Old April 6th 04, 04:27 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message ...

ATC wouldn't just lose contact with me, well, not unless the plane broke
up in mid air,

I was getting flight following from Pax River one day (they're very helpful crossing
the Chesapeake Bay as there are a number of frequently hot restricted areas there
and PXT can sometimes arrange a transition even when they are active). Way out
over the Eastern Shore heading to Ocean City, I just got too far away from them
to hear them at my altitude...so I just broadcast cancelling services in the blind and
dialed up 1200. By the time I showed up on the OXB unicom, there were other
planes relaying calls from PXT wanting to make sure I was OK.

ATC is really supposed to be concerned about aircraft that suddenly disappear.
Of course, excrement happens. A few years ago an aircraft was on an instrument
approach into an uncontrolled airport. The pilot upon being told he could switch
to the CTAF frequency, said he'd most likely be back on the missed approach in
a few minutes because the weather was pretty bad. He crashed on the approach and
ATC forgot about him (never cancelled IFR either). The local constables found him
the next day...

Old April 6th 04, 08:24 PM
John Galban

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...

I had the interesting job of being paid to break into White Sands once.

Working for the Russians? :-) You must have had an easy job of
it. Security was pretty lax most of the time. Whenever I forgot my
badge, my boss would drop hers out the window and I'd use it to get
in. She was short, middle aged, redheaded lady, and I was a skinny,
dark haired, 18 y.o. guy. I once gained access to a TS area buy
pretending I was supposed to be there and showing my drivers' license.
The made me sign in, but said nothing about the case of beer I was
carrying. We stored the beer under the computer room subfloor so it
would be good and cold when we finished work early in the morning.

I certainly hope things are better now, but I doubt it.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old April 7th 04, 01:21 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

om...

I had the interesting job of being paid to break into White Sands once.

Working for the Russians? :-) You must have had an easy job of
it. Security was pretty lax most of the time. Whenever I forgot my
badge, my boss would drop hers out the window and I'd use it to get
in. She was short, middle aged, redheaded lady, and I was a skinny,
dark haired, 18 y.o. guy. I once gained access to a TS area buy
pretending I was supposed to be there and showing my drivers' license.
The made me sign in, but said nothing about the case of beer I was
carrying. We stored the beer under the computer room subfloor so it
would be good and cold when we finished work early in the morning.

I certainly hope things are better now, but I doubt it.

Nope (well, MAYBE since 9/11, but I'd not hold my breath) read "Red Cell" by
Richard Marcinko (founder of counter-terrorist group SEAL Team 6). They
actually snuck aboard a nuclear sub and planted false demolition charges and
a slew of other goodies even when the base commanders knew they were coming
and roughly the targets they would try to access.