Using the magenta circles

Old April 6th 04, 02:06 AM
Ace Pilot

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message nk.net...

"BTIZ" wrote in message

But I did not think he said anything about changing the floor of the
airspace for weather, he stated that the lower floor provides transistions
for IFR pilots to get close to the airport, and CLEAR OF VFR traffic in
marginal weather, that should be remaining in Class G and not Class E

where
the approach may dump them off.

He said; "Those circles aren't to keep VFR pilots safe when the weather is
marginal. They are to lower the floor of controlled airspace for the
benefit of IFR pilots."

Correct. The transition area lowers the floor of controlled airspace. I never
said it had anything to do with changing weather conditions. The first sentence
was to refute the hypothesis of the original poster.

As the original poster, the only thing that can even be close to a
hypothesis is my suspicion that VFR pilots take advantage of the Class
E/G boundary by shooting T&Gs below 700 feet AGL. How does that first
sentence "refute" that?

And, for the record, the purpose of my post was to find out if anyone
actually made use of the information conveyed by the magenta circles,
or if most people found them as useless as I do.
Old April 6th 04, 02:37 AM
john price

Sorry... Forgot to mention the concept of cancelling in
the air once airport is in sight... NY likes it much better
that way...

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"john price" wrote in message

The fact that VFR minimums in class G are 1 mile and
clear of clouds is not to encourage VFR pilots to go fly
in that, but to make it legal for instrument pilots to complete
approaches where the visibility minimums are 1 mile in the
class G airspace...

VFR minimums have nothing to do with IFR approaches.

Old April 6th 04, 02:43 AM
john price

I'll usually cancel when my home field is in sight and I know
I have it made... As long as it's safe... It's a courtesy both
to ATC and anyone else that may want to do an approach
to or depart from one of the 6 airports in the area with approaches
off of the same VOR... I know when I'm trying to get a release
and someone is on an approach to one of those airports and I'm
waiting for someone to get on the ground and cancel on the phone,
it's a bit annoying... Particularly if they forget...

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGi
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"john price" wrote in message

The fact that VFR minimums in class G are 1 mile and
clear of clouds is not to encourage VFR pilots to go fly
in that, but to make it legal for instrument pilots to complete
approaches where the visibility minimums are 1 mile in the
class G airspace...

With visibility of 1 mile I would never cancel IFR until I am on the

ground.
Thus how would the VFR weather rules affect my flight other than by

settting
cloud distance requirements for VFR airplanes in Class E airspace?

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 6th 04, 10:21 AM
Cub Driver

And, for the record, the purpose of my post was to find out if anyone
actually made use of the information conveyed by the magenta circles,
or if most people found them as useless as I do.

Well, I am conscious that if I were ever scud-running home, I would
have to get down to an uncomfortable altitude once I got within xx
miles of my home airport. That would incline me to land elsewhere, in
the unlikely event that I hadn't done so already.

That would be making use of the information, wouldn't it?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 6th 04, 01:28 PM
Richard Kaplan

"john price" wrote in message

Sorry... Forgot to mention the concept of cancelling in
the air once airport is in sight... NY likes it much better
that way...

Be careful there... if controlled airspace exists below 1200 feet and you
break out of the clouds at 1000 feet with the runway in sight so you cancel
IFR, you have just broken the minimum cloud separation requirement for VFR
flight.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old April 7th 04, 01:02 AM
David Brooks

"john price" wrote in message
Sorry... Forgot to mention the concept of cancelling in
the air once airport is in sight... NY likes it much better
that way...

This obviously helps if your cancelling lets the following aircraft carry on
with the approach. It also helps if you are the following aircraft, and the
pilot in front is on the ground or in sight, without having canceled.

If you do that, would it be helpful to let ATC know you're continuing the
(now, practice) approach under VFR?

-- David Brooks

Old April 8th 04, 11:56 AM
john price

I'm talking about real approaches... With real weather...

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

Old April 8th 04, 12:24 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The transition area floor is LOWER than it would be if there were
no transition area. It's a local dropping of the controlled airspace
floor from 1200 (typically) to 700.

Correct.

Everybody else seems to understand what I'm saying except for
you. Stop and try to think about the real issue rather than trying
to generate as much confusion as possible.

I understand you didn't intend to imply the floor of controlled airspace
varied with weather or type of operation. If you put more thought into your
writing you'll generate less confusion.