GA cockpit weather

Old August 26th 03, 04:26 PM
David Megginson

Default GA cockpit weather

"Michael 182" writes:

What is the state of the art (or science) with downloading near real-time
weather (five minute updates) in a GA plane? I just started to look into
this, and came across WSI in flight. They appear to offer an uncertified
service for about $3,500 for the receiver, or certified and panel mounted
for $5,000. On top of that you pay a subscription ($600/yr or $20/day) and
you have to provide a display - ranging from a PDA to a panel mounted MFD.

Check out the Cheap *******s:

http://www.cheap*******software.net/

The software and actual weather info is free. You need to buy a Palm
VII (or a Palm V with a wireless modem), and you need a subscription
with palm.net (for the Palm VII):

http://www.palmone.com/us/wireless/s...viceplans.html

I haven't tried it yet, personally -- I'm not sure if there's any
coverage in Canada.

All the best,

David
Old August 27th 03, 03:12 AM
Teacherjh

Check out the Cheap *******s:

http://www.cheap*******software.net/

Great service - I use it too. But it's not real time. The radar maps are about
half an hour old. A lot can happen in half an hour.

Jose

Old August 27th 03, 05:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"Teacherjh" wrote in message news:20030826221208.15796.00000846@mb-

Great service - I use it too. But it's not real time. The radar maps are about
half an hour old. A lot can happen in half an hour.

None of the Datalink NEXRAD is going to be any better. They're all delayed at
least 15 minutes.

Old August 27th 03, 06:18 PM
Jon Carlson

IIRC, I think the guy at the WxWorx booth claimed no more than a
minute or two delay between when they receive the radar data (which
takes 5-6 minutes for a complete sweep, so it could be that old) to
when it hits your receiver. I think he said the outside limit was 5
minutes, i.e. 10 minutes max age. I could be off by a minute or so on
these numbers, but there was no 15 minute delay anywhere...

-Jon C.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old August 27th 03, 10:18 PM
Tom S.

"Rich Badaracco" wrote in message
I don't know what the state of the art is but I've also been looking for

an
inexpensive way to get near real-time nexrad while I'm in the cockpit. I

did
run across a service which provides nexrad images which are no more than 5
minutes old. Check out this site http://www.flightbrief.com/. AOPA and EAA
members get it at a rather hefty discount.

They require you to buy a one-month (refundable) membership JUST TO ENTER
THE WEBSITE.

Back to the drawing board.

Old August 28th 03, 02:14 PM
Rich Badaracco

I agree. For that price I'd sign up in a second.

"JerryK" wrote in message
It is definitely a chore trying to get weather in flight. Obviously there
is a market, but at the current time the solutions appear too expensive or
have connectivity issues. What we need is something that requires
$500-$1000 total for hardware and $10 or less a month.

jerry

Old August 28th 03, 11:54 PM
Tom S.

"JerryK" wrote in message
It is definitely a chore trying to get weather in flight. Obviously there
is a market, but at the current time the solutions appear too expensive or
have connectivity issues. What we need is something that requires
$500-$1000 total for hardware and $10 or less a month.

Not while the FAA bureaucracy is in town.

I wonder what the cost difference is between cable and satellite broadcast?

Old September 2nd 03, 04:56 AM
Phil Verghese

David Megginson wrote in
:

The software and actual weather info is free. You need to buy a Palm
VII (or a Palm V with a wireless modem), and you need a subscription
with palm.net (for the Palm VII):

The Palm VII is discontinued, but you can get them pretty cheap on eBay.
You could also buy a new Palm i705 (about $160 and much smaller than the
VII) which also works with palm.net. I used it on a recent trip with great
results. Yeah the weather can be up to an hour old, but I use the
information to make big routing changes, not to thread my way through the
cells.

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/palmi705

Be sure to check the coverage map:
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/palmi705/map.html. It's pretty spotty