Reasons to talk to ATC...

Old April 3rd 04, 02:02 AM
Robert M. Gary

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
Cub Driver wrote:

When a VFR flight plan is in use, an average of 37 hours and 18 minutes
elapse from LKP to rescue.
When no flight plan is in use, an average of 42 hours and 24 minutes
elapse from LKP to rescue.

This is not a very strong motivation to file a flight plan!

Well, keep in mind that those are averages. Since every once in a while you read
about someone who isn't found for six months, and every time it seems to be someone
who didn't file a flight plan at all, I think there's some incentive.

I'd also like to know how many in each category are never found.

I assume they'd use median, not mean but again, remember who we are talking about
Old April 3rd 04, 02:52 AM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Perhaps. What does ATC upon losing RADAR contact with an IFR?

You say "Radar contact lost." If he answers then we'll use nonradar
procedures and so will you. If he doesn't then we find him.

What about
when it loses RADAR contact with a VFR getting advisories?

The same. If the loss was unexpected then we will find you. If the
loss was not unexpected then we might say "radar contact lost, squawk
VFR."

Old April 3rd 04, 02:59 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Perhaps. What does ATC upon losing RADAR contact with an IFR?

Informs the aircraft "radar contact lost" and, if necessary, issues
appropriate nonradar routing.

What about
when it loses RADAR contact with a VFR getting advisories?

Informs the aircraft "radar contact lost, squawk VFR".

Old April 3rd 04, 03:57 AM
Andrew Gideon

Newps wrote:

What about
when it loses RADAR contact with a VFR getting advisories?

The same. If the loss was unexpected then we will find you.

So if the loss is unexpected and communication doesn't occur, who gets
notified? And this is the same for both IFR and VFR on advisories? Nice.

- Andrew

Old April 3rd 04, 04:50 AM
jsmith

John T wrote:
No, but the rationale is that if you're already on frequency with flight
following, you will be closer to the IFR stats than the VFR flight plan
stats.

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Perhaps. What does ATC upon losing RADAR contact with an IFR?
What about when it loses RADAR contact with a VFR getting advisories?

Let's see... you had them on radar, then you lost them from the radar.
That becomes the LAST KNOWN POSITION.
They told you their destination.
They may have told you their fuel state.
You had their altitude.
You had their airspeed.
It ain't rocket science!

BTW, why don't radios have a button to press to get guard immediately, akin
to NRST on a GPS?

Some radios have had that feature for several years.
Old April 3rd 04, 05:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
gonline.com...

So if the loss is unexpected and communication doesn't occur, who gets
notified? And this is the same for both IFR and VFR on advisories?

A search is begun when there is unexpected loss of radar contact and radio
communications with any IFR or VFR aircraft.

Old April 5th 04, 05:30 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:08:43 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

than when impacting the ground in the desert
out west.

Or the piney woods here in New Hampshire. (How many years did it take
to find that biz jet that crashed while figuring to land at Lebanon
NH? Three? Four?)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Three, and the guy who found it wasn't looking for it. I find it
difficult to understand how they could have missed it all those years
because it was almost directly under the IFR approach to Lebanon.
Right where you'd expect it to be if they were making the approach and
misjudged their location and descended too early. Hit rising terrain
and disappeared into a jungle of broken trees.

The problem was that the previous winter we had a horrendous ice
storm, the likes of which you would never see in a lifetime of living
up here. Three or four inches of ice developed on all trees above a
certain altitude. This snapped trees in half and created a landscape
that hasn't been seen since WWI in many areas. It was into one of
these areas that the hapless Learjet was lost.

Three years later a forester discovered it by literally walking into
it when surveying for logging for the land owners.

It had a cockpit voice recorder and the pilot's voices were still on
it. They did NOT, however, have an ELT and I understand that now
light jets are being required to install them. I also understand that
this Learjet crash is the reason they are now being required.

Corky Scott
Old April 6th 04, 02:05 AM
John Galban

Chris wrote in message ...
They may find you fast in White Sands, but more so because
they blasted a missile through your wings and tracked it (well you
shouldn't be there anyway) .

I used to fire missiles at White Sands. Sometimes we had no idea
where the missile went :-( For that reason I wouldn't recommend
flying right on the borders of the restricted areas when there is
activity on the range. Often the missiles don't know where the
restricted area ends and free airspace begins.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old April 6th 04, 02:20 AM
Ron Natalie

"John Galban" wrote in message om...

I used to fire missiles at White Sands.

Did White Sands ever fire back?

I had the interesting job of being paid to break into White Sands once.

Old April 6th 04, 08:10 AM
Dylan Smith

In article ne.com, Andrew
Gideon wrote:
John T wrote:

No, but the rationale is that if you're already on frequency with flight
following, you will be closer to the IFR stats than the VFR flight plan
stats.

Perhaps. What does ATC upon losing RADAR contact with an IFR? What about
when it loses RADAR contact with a VFR getting advisories?

ATC wouldn't just lose contact with me, well, not unless the plane broke
up in mid air, or I just happened to be out of radio contact for some
other reason. I would call 'Mayday' fairly early on so ATC knew that I
was out there and had a problem - I bet they track those a bit more
keenly than some VFR flight following traffic that vanished from their
scope!
--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net